resse01

• resse01
      resse01
      Bronze
      Hello all,

I am not completely new to poker but till now i played it mostly only for fun at home or pub. I didn't care for any tactics during my home play - I used common sense, and it quite worked. But maybe three months ago i said to myself - playing poker for money and online? Why not...:-) So I registered onto two sites and started to play - first for play money and then for real.
      But when I observed my account money slowly going away, I realized I wasn't so good player as I thought...:) So, I stopped playing real money ring games, started to read courses to absorb some information to help me to be better. And then I learned that my ideal play style even have a name - TAG...:D So, I worked on my tactics, odds computing, and returned to play real money. Now I am again above my initial money heap and starting to play seriously... But i still see many leaks during my play, so I think this course is ideal for me - and that's why I am here...

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

As I am IT manager work-wise, I am analytic and strategic type of person. So, poker is one of games I enjoy, it suits me and my thinking. And I think that when I will catch all bugs influencing my play, I will be good at it. Second motivation is that I could imagine myself as a semi-pro, getting enough to cover my life expenses. And of course the third motivation - that feeling when I win...:-D

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)

I see many of them - I am sometimes too tight but sometimes not enough, I have a problem to extract enough from players when i have good cards. I need to learn how to defend my cards - i get the concept, but that's all for now. I need to practice a lot to automatically see the odds, pot odds and to learn how to effectively thin the flock.
      But first things first - in last months I learned to include my position into thinking and nowadays I am cementing it to my play. And I even learned to do heroic folds - that was a tough one... :-D Fortunately i don't have a tilt problems and I don't have problems with poker time management.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)

Be tight - cautious - and play only hands+positions that are really worth to play. And when odds are on my side become an aggressive player, thin the flock before they would be able to complete draws, and of course win. Main idea is to minimize loses and maximize gains. Its working well during ring games, but during tournaments when ante is rising I found that I need to be more loose and more aggressive. But maybe its because my play has still so many flaws...

So, see you at the tables...

Peter
  • 1 reply