Icm Trainer

• darchvile40
      darchvile40
      Bronze
      Hi guys.

how are we all ,good i hope!.
      i am wondering about the ICM trainer at the moment, i have been using it the last few days getting some practice in hoping to make perfect.....
      i was reading an article on the internet where some bloke was asking about the ICM trainer and somebody replyied telling him that he was mixing the ICM trainer up with the push/fold period of a game.

so now im confused as thats what i thought the ICM trainer was helping you to do, ie, making the right decision when you reach the push /fold stage of a tournament or sit n go.. or is the ICM just used primarily around the bubble??
  • 5 replies
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Hey darchvile40,

I don't know much about ICM etc but it seems you're not getting muhc love with your thread here so I'll move it to SNG so that kurrkabin will be able to assist (we hope! :D )

I'll also keep a link in Poker Tools so that your thread can be seen in two places ;)

Best of luck.
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Here I am, once again...I am torn into pieces...ooopss.. I got carried away :)

Hi, guys.

So it goes like this: ICM trainer helps you with all the push/fold decisions, including those ones on the bubble. ICM is active in SNGs up until HU game, so you almost always need to consider it. Even when there is no push/fold game.

Say it's 4-handed, 50:30:20 pay out FR sng. You and the other midstack have 20bb, big stack has 40bb and the shortie-4bb. You raise BTN, big stack on the BB flats. You cbet and he c/raise shoves on you in a pot where you have marginal top pair and there are many draws. You are getting 40% on your call and your expected equity is 50%. ChipEV that's an easy call. But because there is a shortie with just 4bb that's about to get hit by the blinds next hand-we have an easy fold. ICM tax here is huge, because we don't want to bubble out. The value of the chips we win if we double up is much less than the value of the chips we are gonna lose for the times the chipleader hits his draws.

So, long story short- you use ICM trainer for both-pre bubble, bubble and post bubble play(if you are playing full ring sng).
    • darchvile40
      darchvile40
      Bronze
      thanks kurrkabin that helps!!
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by darchvile40
      thanks kurrkabin that helps!!
      +1

Best of luck darchvile40!
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Gold
      Does choosing all the parameters (besides the payout structure) at random allow for a good training? I feel that I'm offered too many spots where I'm a shortstack in the SB first in (ATC spots), which occur in games less often because I try to prevent the stack from falling so low, and too many spots where I face a shove and reshove and the overcalling range is usually nitty (AA only, or KK+, or QQ+) so there's not much value in repeating it so often. It looks as though choosing more specific spots allows to train more effectively.

Btw, what's a good success percentage in the pushbot quiz for a reg? Does getting only 85% right (many of the mistakes being pretty close guesses) indicate utter fishiness :f_biggrin: ?