Ask Poker Strategy Questions!

• ManiaculDinamovist
      ManiaculDinamovist
      Global
      I will start asking about 2 topics.

I.

How do we play against aggro regs? Usually, they make us forget about standard ABC game and put us into tough tilting situations and high variance spots.

For instance, we min openraise the BTN and we have a villain reg in the blinds. How do we play against him, if he is:

a) 3-bet range IP >10%, fold to 4-bet>60%, 5-bet range 2.6%
      b) 3-bet range IP>10%, fold to 4-bet around 50%, 5-bet range 2.6%
      c) 3-bet range IP>10%, fold to 4-bet around 30%, 5-bet range 5%?

Against which villains are we flatting more to 3-bets, against which are we 4-betting more and what would we choose? We more likely choose blockers for FEQ preflop or suited connectors/broadways for freerolling in 4-bet pots?

Second of all, the same case scenario, just we know are OOP, we open raise 3x from CO and the villain 3-bets us very wide at 9x from the BTN. How do we play against the same 3 types of aggro regs, adapting to their ranges?

What I usually do is look at the stats on a decent sample and play a depolarized extended value range against whether the villain folds too little to 4-bets, whether folds a lot but has a high 5-bet range, because I believe that even if he has a depolarized 5-bet range, if it is above 5%, then I should be at least breakeven with my call with my extended 4-bet value range:TT+, AK, AQ, but I win the most when he folds to 4-bet or calls with a worse hand. On the same time, if villain folds a lot to 4-bets but still 3-bets wider and has a low 5-bet range, then I decid to 4-bet bluff him more often with blockers. If he 3-bets wide, has a low 5-bet range but still calls our 4-bet a decent amount of time, I prefer to also 4-bet bluff him more often, but not with blockers, but rather with suited connectors for playability and freerolling in 4-bet pot. What do you think?

II.

I have some problems with SB flat/cold calling and also 3-bet ranges. Some might consider that 3-betting against early positions with double blockers is better than suited connectors, while others vice-versa. Also, some consider that it is better to flat some hands from SB vs CO/BTN instead 3-betting, while others say that we basically shouldn't have any flatting range from SB and we should rather have a wide merged 3-bet range.

SB defend vs average reg open raising ranges by position

From SB we usually flat 99-JJ, AQs, KQs, AQo, AJs, ATs vs open raise UTG/MP.

I am not sure if we should flat more from MP than from UTG, because the fact is we shouldn't have a very wide flatting range from this position. QQ+, AK we 3-bet for value and usually QQ, AK we fold to a 4-bet vs unknown or without info.

3-bet bluff range? Hmm, I usually do it also with AQ, KQ when I am not cold calling them. But others prefer hands like 87s-T9s, A2s-A5s. I am not sure if we should attack such a strong range with suited connectors rather than double blockers.

SB vs CO... Hmmm... I guess I am folding 22-66 and flatting 77-99. TT-JJ is 3-bet for value vs calling range and fold to 4-bet by default, QQ+, AK standard stack off by default. I guess AQs, AJs, AQo, KqS, kQo should also be in our 3-bet value range and also some suited connectors and A2s-A5s as a bluff because we attack a wider range than early positions and we also need some playability in 3-bet pots.

SB vs BTN. Here we could also 3-bet 22-66 because villain has a very wide range and we don't have playability when we hit. We flat 77-99, 3-bet for value TT+, ATs+, KJs+, AJo+, Kqo and 67s+, A2s-A5s as a bluff.

What do you think about cold calling and 3-bet ranges from Sb vs several open raises by position?

P.S: I forgot to say, I am an NL10SH player and I currently have a 200BI-s BR on Pokerstars.eu.
  • 7 replies
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      I think its up to the person, in this case Internet, to start these topics since they're the one answering the torrent of questions.

Also, how come you are using 200BI brm at nl10???????
    • ManiaculDinamovist
      ManiaculDinamovist
      Global
      Originally posted by metza
      I think its up to the person, in this case Internet, to start these topics since they're the one answering the torrent of questions.

Also, how come you are using 200BI brm at nl10???????
      That's a pretty long story :)

I will try a shot at NL25SH in January with 100BI-s BR at this newer limit.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by metza
      you know right? :f_biggrin:

also i thought that i had nitty brm wtf
    • ManiaculDinamovist
      ManiaculDinamovist
      Global
      Let's wait for Paul's answer, as I have previously contacted him and he agreed to open this forum thread and also give him the link to answer several poker strategy questions.
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ManiaculDinamovist
      Let's wait for Paul's answer, as I have previously contacted him and he agreed to open this forum thread and also give him the link to answer several poker strategy questions.
      Oh, awesome. Thought you just randomly made the thread hah
    • lnternet
      lnternet
      Bronze
      I.
      How do we play against aggro regs? Usually, they make us forget about standard ABC game and put us into tough tilting situations and high variance spots.
      We try to play as well as possible, as in any other poker situation. You should never get tilted against anyone, or hate a situation. That is a mindset problem.

For instance, we min openraise the BTN and we have a villain reg in the blinds. How do we play against him, if he is:

a) 3-bet range IP >10%, fold to 4-bet>60%, 5-bet range 2.6%
      b) 3-bet range IP>10%, fold to 4-bet around 50%, 5-bet range 2.6%
      c) 3-bet range IP>10%, fold to 4-bet around 30%, 5-bet range 5%?
      How wide we open raise depends on both blinds.

What do you mean 3bet range IP? Both blinds are oop. And what value is >10% exactly? 15% is around standard, 12% is low and 18% is high, so >10% doesn't really narrow it down too much.

If someone folds to 4bets over 60% you are in a situaion where 4betting any two cards is better than folding, and you should thus never fold to a 3bet but always 4bet instead.

If someone folds to 4bets around 50% you are in a situation where 4bet bluffing the correct hands is probably better than folding and 4bet bluffing bad hands is probably worse than folding, so you would play a normal 4bet bluff range.

If someone folds to 4bets less than 45% you should likely never 4bet any weak hand, just extend your value 4bets and never bluff.

Originally posted by ManiaculDinamovistSecond of all, the same case scenario, just we know are OOP, we open raise 3x from CO and the villain 3-bets us very wide at 9x from the BTN. How do we play against the same 3 types of aggro regs, adapting to their ranges?
      CO 3 to 9 I play a 4bet only strategy. How wide depends on my CO open, but say I open 27% to 3, than I would 4bet about top 7-7.5% and fold the rest.
    • BC1989RF
      BC1989RF
      Gold
      Originally posted by lnternet
      CO 3 to 9 I play a 4bet only strategy. How wide depends on my CO open, but say I open 27% to 3, than I would 4bet about top 7-7.5% and fold the rest.
      Meaning, best case scenario, you defend a bit less than 30% i.e. folding >70% to villain's 3bet.
      Villain risks 9 to win 4.5 so the threashold w/o equity is ~65%.
      This seems very tight to me? Are you letting go a bit of EV for the sake of playing OOP?