SnG Live event: unique structure

• julito23
      julito23
      Gold
      Hey guys.

So I am going to this event with the following very particular structure:

It is not an MTT. All the players are sorted out in 9man SnG tables. There are 4 rounds of 9man SnG, and the 18 players who score the most points during this 4 rounds will play the final 2 tables until the end. The final 18 players are in the money, and the stacks they will receive for this final 2 tables range from 40k to 60k chips according to the points the scored in the previous round. That means that there is not a huge gap between big and short stack.

The points awarded for each round from 1st to 9th place respectively are:

So, my 1st approach would be something like this:

I should start the first round playing it pretty much like a regular 50/30/20 (saving the ICM distances when in the money), since if I want to get to the final 2 tables I need to try to get into the 3 highest finishing positions. In case I succeed, for the next round the lower positions go up in value, since I can "afford" to be more risk averse and try to secure a good enough average rather than playing for 1st. If I fail in the first round, it goes the other way around, I need to start playing for the top finishing positions. This of course piles up with each successive round. It will also depend on the spread of the points distribution between all the players, but this is something rather unpredictable and that will probably be only valuable before the final round.

In case you have not fully understood my explanation of the structure, please visit http://www.worldsitngomasters.co.uk/about/.

In short, I have to aim to a decent average of the 4 rounds: the more number of players, the higher point average I would need, since only 18 will get into the money. So to summarize, my questions would be:

1. What do you think of my initial approach?

2. How would you manipulate the prize pool structure to get a nash push/fold calculation that is representative of this situation?

3. Any advice on these or other topis is most welcome.

Thanks a lot.

Pedro.
  • 6 replies
    • Unam
      Unam
      Hi,

1 I like your approach

2 if you want to do it correctly use the pricepool in the icm tools to work on your push fold game (I am not sure if using the payout 1:1 is really giving you the best result in finishing high)

3 try to hit better then all the others :D

GL to you!!!
    • fitzinator18
      fitzinator18
      Basic
      im there...unfortunately it was my friend who won the package so im just playing a side event. im the short kid with longish curly hair likely walking around in a black coat and scarf. you'll probably spot me :P

GL
    • julito23
      julito23
      Gold
      Hey guys, thanks a lot for the replies and your support. Lets see how tomorrow goes...

fitzinator I think I know who you are. Has your friend also curly hair but short? I think he was on my table on the 1st round.

I am the guy with a grey hoodie and a paf sticker. I really hope we get the time to meet and have a chat tomorrow.

See you and good luck!
    • fitzinator18
      fitzinator18
      Basic
      I have 3 friends playing. You were sat next to one of my friends yesterday, the talkative guy with blondeish hair who was showing 90% of his hands and drinking whiskey and coke (hope he didn't come off fishy...I have % so was naturally not happy he was sittin there drinking so much!) Would be surprised if you didn't remember him! You had your hood up the entire time so I didn't see your face haha but if you wear the same today I'll be on the lookout!
    • fitzinator18
      fitzinator18
      Basic
      nice meeting you pal :)
    • julito23
      julito23
      Gold
      Hey fitz, it was very nice meeting you too. Unfortunately when you disappeared from the bar for a minute, I went up to my room to leave some stuff but I completely passed out when I saw the bed, so I could not say good bye.

I hope we meet on another event and I also hope at least on of us makes some money next time :D .

In any case I will stop by your coachings to troll a little bit when I have the time.

Have a nice Christmas and so on.

Pedro.