Good Morning & Hello

• Zato1ch1
      Zato1ch1
      Bronze
      Hey Guys,

I am pretty new to Poker, I have been playing almost daily for 1.5 months now. I found this place by literally googling 'Poker Strategy' as at that time I kind of had no clue.

Who would have known there was a whole site of Poker Strategy! :)

The articles on here that I have read have definitely helped. I have lots more to improve on no doubt though.

I have been playing on IPoker with Titan and have now joined up with Pokerstars as they had a good offer for uk players.

My bankroll is not huge $40 dollars on each.

Mostly on Titan I play $0.50 on tap tournments which have average 120-140 players. I also play the double up SNGs $1 or less.

On Pokerstars I have just discovered the Time limited tourneys and have placed ITM on 2 $1.10 ones. I had a token for a £3.30 but I got knocked out seconds before the end. I came 3rd in the 180 man hyper (shortstack) $1 a couple of days ago but since then have not done well. I find the 50/50 SNGs a lot harder than the double ups on iPoker so will not be doing them again just yet! I have placed 105 and 348 in freeroll tourneys with 1000s of entrants

I guess what I am trying to say is I have not figured out what game is best for me.

I have played Zoom or speed poker and its a bit hit and miss, I lose more than win.

Can anyone offer any advise in how to figure out which games to play? Are cash games the way to go for building bankroll?

Thank you and sorry for the babbling
  • 10 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Zato1ch1,

Welcome to PokerStrategy.com :) . It's interesting that you found this site that way, because that is exactly how I found this site and 3 years later I'm still here.

As you're a relatively new player, I can definitely recommend our NL Beginners Course. This will present lessons in an ordely manner to ensure you have all the information you need.

I'm sure you'll learn heaps here. I certainly have and am a much better player for it.

Cheers

Laz
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi Zato1ch1 and welcome!

As for your question I can't be considered any sort of expert, but I think the way to go is play the game you feel more comfortable with.
      Some people like the faster games and some like MTTs that may take longer to play. I play cash games because I can just reload and stay when I lose, whereas in a Sit and Go if I lose I'm out.

I do recommend staying within your bankroll management limit though to keep from losing it all playing too high a limit for example, or a higher variance game too early.

This is only my opinion of course and others may well be able to put it to you better.

It seems you are playing Sit and Goes quite a lot, so I've linked this article for you:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sng/2232/1/

It contains bankroll management information as well which is really important especially at the beginning of your poker journey.

For other game type strategies, please go here:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/

and click the one you want to see.

I hope you have fun learning and please don't hesitate to ask if you need any help.

Mal.
    • Zato1ch1
      Zato1ch1
      Bronze
      Thanks guys, I'm checking those links now :)

I think perhaps I answered my own question really, I do prefer the SNGs and MTTs they do seem more fun to me. I like the excitement of when the bubble is close too :)
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      In that case you go for it, but don't forget to post hands in the Hand evaluation forums for our expert coaches and judges to look at for you, they really are awesome guys!

Here's the link to them:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1429

Oh and here's the link to how to post hands and use the forums etc as well in case you aren't sure:

How to use the hand evaluation forum

Oops, nearly forgot the MTT Hand Evaluation Forum, silly me.

There, that should keep you surrounded for a while, now go get 'em! :D

Mal.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Welcome to the community!
    • pelbonek
      pelbonek
      Gold
      Hi, good luck at the tables man
    • Zato1ch1
      Zato1ch1
      Bronze
      Thanks Holly and pelbonek :)
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      So much advice here I don't have much to add but a warm welcome :]

You're best of playing a bit of everything until you find the variant you enjoy the most and then turn it into a profitable hobby.

I love MTT's the most but have never had enough time to sit and grind them so I choose to play 6Max cash because it's quick and full of a variety of players, it also helps improve play for what can be used in most formats if I ever decide to change.

Best of luck finding out which you want to crush :s_evil:
    • Yonose
      Yonose
      Bronze
      Welcome
    • jawoftheox
      jawoftheox
      Bronze
      Great story!
      I have pierced sickle in my feet, when was ~9 years old :)
      Welcome!