A not-so-high stakes blog, grinding through the microstakes and beyond! Plugging standard leaks etc.

• MBJUK
      MBJUK
      Bronze
      Hey,

I'm a 19 year old Biomedicine student in the UK, and I wanna use the Christmas, Easter and summer breaks this year to grind up a roll big enough to play mid-stakes and beyond during the term time, to make up for my poor volume during term time with a decent hourly. I will be beginning at micro stakes (5nl to begin).

I have played a lot of poker recently, beating 2nl over 15k hands between stars and party and starting to beat 4nl at party over 11k hands. Graphs are attached in the next post.

Hating on the new party software, I have decided to move my entire roll back to stars. I also think that despite the lower win rate + increased numbers of regs on stars, it will make me a better player faster, as I will be exposed to tougher spots on a more regular basis.

I'm moving this blog from another website where there wasn't enough interest in it, so I'll post a couple of posts at first that I'm migrating from that blog relating to my first two sessions of 5nl at stars.

I'll be predominantly playing 6max NL Hold'em, with occasional MTT sessions and FL Badugi sessions. I will be 4-6 tabling, depending on confidence levels at the time of sessions, bar Badugi and MTT's which will be 1-2 tables at a time.

Might also make some vids and post them on Deuces Cracked, to which I have a membership! Links will be provided.

Hands might also get posted on 2+2 and DC from time to time if I need second opinions etc.

Many thanks and lets grind it up!

MBJ_UK
  • 14 replies
    • MBJUK
      MBJUK
      Bronze
      Graphs attached for 2+4nl so far :)

2NL graph

4NL graph
    • MBJUK
      MBJUK
      Bronze
      First session:

Played a 433 hand session, 4-tabling 6-max NLH

Had a great session and ended up $8.03 up!

Thinking of mixing it up with 1/2-tabling $0.25/$0.50 FL Badugi occasionally. Slightly under-rolled but the level is play is so poor, with people not even knowing the rules on occasion, that I'm sure my roll can sustain the swings if I mix in the odd session (not very often, just as a change of pace).

Also thinking of recording some videos, which I might upload to the Deuces Cracked member videos thing, but we'll see if I can get a good screen recorder first (think possibly quick time can do it on Mac?).

Will post some hands from the session played below

Thanks for reading!

MBJ_UK
    • MBJUK
      MBJUK
      Bronze
      As a warning, a lot of hands I post may seem super "standard" to people at first, but bear in mind I'm still learning and I'll get there eventually! Thanks for the continued support if you've read thus far.

First hand,

PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP: 101.4 BB (VPIP: 12.63, PFR: 10.53, 3Bet Preflop: 3.03, Hands: 96)
      CO: 104 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 6)
      BTN: 43.8 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 6)
      SB: 157 BB (VPIP: 16.67, PFR: 16.67, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 6)
      Hero (BB): 100 BB
      UTG: 307.4 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 6)

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has A :spade: 9 :diamond:

fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to 3 BB, fold, Hero calls 2 BB

Flop: (6.4 BB, 2 players) 4 :diamond: 3 :spade: J :club:
      Hero bets 3 BB, BTN raises to 7 BB, fold

BTN wins 11.8 BB

I'm terrible for calling OOP with weak mid-aces, so does anyone have a range to call vs. unknowns from the blinds? This was significantly wider than I usually call, and I immediately noticed and adjusted, so I normally call AJ+ and KQ+, what do you guys think? Also, should I 3bet light often from the blinds?
    • MBJUK
      MBJUK
      Bronze
      PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

BB: 101.4 BB (VPIP: 22.70, PFR: 21.99, 3Bet Preflop: 8.70, Hands: 143)
      Hero (UTG): 105.6 BB
      MP: 101.8 BB (VPIP: 17.24, PFR: 12.81, 3Bet Preflop: 1.52, Hands: 205)
      CO: 50 BB (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 3)
      BTN: 28.4 BB (VPIP: 54.55, PFR: 18.18, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 11)
      SB: 100.4 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 7)

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has J :heart: J :spade:

Hero raises to 4 BB, MP calls 4 BB, fold, BTN calls 4 BB, SB raises to 20 BB, fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to 28.4 BB and is all-in, SB calls 8.4 BB

Should I ever 4bet here? I think it's quite likely that due to the number of limpers he thinks he can take down a large pot pre flop with AK/AQ without even needing to see a flop, is this a correct assumption?

I think in hindsight I may have 4bet/folded.
    • MBJUK
      MBJUK
      Bronze
      PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players

CO: 97.6 BB (VPIP: 44.44, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 10)
      BTN: 106 BB (VPIP: 20.00, PFR: 20.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 10)
      SB: 419.8 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 10)
      BB: 110.4 BB (VPIP: 26.67, PFR: 20.67, 3Bet Preflop: 1.89, Hands: 156)
      Hero (UTG): 102.6 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has K :diamond: K :club:

Hero raises to 4 BB, CO calls 4 BB, fold, fold, fold

Flop: (9.4 BB, 2 players) 8 :spade: Q :heart: 8 :heart:
      Hero bets 6 BB, CO calls 6 BB

Turn: (21.4 BB, 2 players) 7 :spade:
      Hero bets 14 BB, CO calls 14 BB

River: (49.4 BB, 2 players) T :heart:
      Hero checks, CO bets 32 BB, Hero calls 32 BB

CO shows K :heart: 6 :heart: (Flush, King High) (Pre 12%, Flop 34%, Turn 20%)
      Hero mucks K :diamond: K :spade: (Two Pair, Kings and Eights) (Pre 88%, Flop 66%, Turn 80%)
      CO wins 108.6 BB

Should the river be a fold here? I just figured I was getting better than 3:1 here and presumed it could be a bluffy spot with a scare card like this. Any thoughts?
    • MBJUK
      MBJUK
      Bronze
      Thats all for this session, I'll post some more after next session and might include some FL Badugi hands! In the meantime I'll be watching Gripsed and DC videos and reading the micro NL/PL forum, as well as some of the draw forum for Badugi.

Graph updates will come at 1k hands, then at 5k hands, followed by 10k, 20k and 50k hands. If I'm up after 50k a significant amount and I'm rolled for 10nl we might take a shot. If I'm rolled much earlier then I might take a shot earlier with some strict stop loss limits (this has been my problem when moving up in the past, and then I end up tilting!)
    • MBJUK
      MBJUK
      Bronze
      Played a coupleof orbits of FL Badugi and made a coupleof dollars so the bankroll stands at $110.50. All hands were fairly standard (bar possibly one? Which I will post below) and so not a lot to report.

The next session will likely not be until Monday as I'm working two 14 hour shifts (save me!) this weekend on Saturday and Sunday respectively, but when I get in about 10pm I will watch a DC vid before bed and read the micro NL/PL forum for some 6max hands history analyses.

Until monday!

MBJ_UK
    • MBJUK
      MBJUK
      Bronze
      The Badugi hand:

PokerStars Hand #108491179652: Badugi Limit ($0.25/$0.50 USD) - 2013/12/14 2:57:24 WET [2013/12/13 21:57:24 ET]
      Table 'Nunki III' 8-max Seat #8 is the button
      Seat 5: MBJ_UK ($7.46 in chips)
      Seat 6: MUPSTER61 ($10.57 in chips)
      Seat 7: O_Rappa_BR ($4.09 in chips)
      Seat 8: mascona ($5.65 in chips)
      sanbik will be allowed to play after the button
      MBJ_UK: posts small blind $0.10
      MUPSTER61: posts big blind $0.25
      *** DEALING HANDS ***
      Dealt to MBJ_UK [2d 5d 7d 8c]
      O_Rappa_BR: raises $0.25 to $0.50
      mascona: folds
      MBJ_UK: folds
      MUPSTER61: folds
      Uncalled bet ($0.25) returned to O_Rappa_BR
      O_Rappa_BR collected $0.60 from pot
      O_Rappa_BR: doesn't show hand
      *** SUMMARY ***
      Total pot $0.60 | Rake $0
      Seat 5: MBJ_UK (small blind) folded before the Draw
      Seat 6: MUPSTER61 (big blind) folded before the Draw
      Seat 7: O_Rappa_BR collected ($0.60)
      Seat 8: mascona (button) folded before the Draw (didn't bet)

Apparently it's usual to snow with hands like this, but I really struggle to comfortably do this at such a low stake, because I feel like people generally don't understand what I'm representing ever anyway, as the play is fairly poor as it's a little understood game by the masses. Anyone who plays Badugi and would snow with hands like these at this limit?

I'm not expecting an in depth analysis of the badugi hands or anything guys so no worries, the focus will be back on SH NLH from Monday
    • MBJUK
      MBJUK
      Bronze
      Session 2:

Ended up playing a 1 hour session after work 4-tabling. 230 hands played.

It's debatable whether I should really have played or not, as I'd just finished a 14 hour shift at work and was pretty drained, so in hindsight I wouldn't have played this session. I think this is often a problem I have when I'm working/have coursework/have lab work, in that I don't know when I'm too tired to play optimally, which is a big leak as it starts me tilting. I have noticed this now and will try only to play when I am feeling motivated and fresh.

Anyhow, I still ended up $4.54 for the session, giving me a bankroll of $115.04!

There weren't many trouble hands this session but I'll post any I struggle with next session.

That's all folks!
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi MBJUK and welcome to blogs!

Whew, you take some keeping up with don't you!? :D

First I'd like to say that you seem to be picking up on your leaks very wuickly which has to be a good sign. I do think, given your chosen subject, you'll find any sort of volume difficult to achieve, but you know that already.

Also, you could post hands here for discussion:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1674

where people will give their opinion but it won't be professionally analyzed.

To have your hands analyzed by our professional hand evaluators and coaches you will need silver status or above, which may be purchased for a small fee in our points shop. this will enable you to access more content as well.
      The link to the shop is here if you are interested:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/buy-points/

Otherwise you may achieve silver status by earning points via the rake you pay if you play on a poker site tracked through PokerStrategy.

In any case, if you need any help just ask.

Have fun and we'll keep an eye on you to see how you do. ;)

Mal.
    • Jehryn
      Jehryn
      Bronze
      Damn so many posts in one day :f_eek: Keep it up though :D
    • MBJUK
      MBJUK
      Bronze
      Thanks for replying guys! Gald to see I am already receiving support here, I've always thought this was the most friendly site! Apologies for so many posts so quickly, I just wanted to pick up from where I left off elsewhere. However, now I'm up to date here and good to go I will post my 3rd session played today:

Hands played: 448

Won: $0.29

All-In equity: $1.42

A dollar below ev, but very short term so meh :P Will post hands I struggle with weekly after they've been evaluated, to keep the volume of posting down so people can keep up!

The posts will slow down now though I promise!

I think I'll stick to 2+2 and DC hand evaluations for now as I have already purchased a DC membership so can't really afford a Poker Strategy one too, but maybe next month, as I do think it would be useful to have them all on the one forum.

WRT sessions, do people find it easier if I post a graph each session or a just a post each session with say monthly/hand milestone graphs?

Thanks for the support!

MBJ_UK
    • MBJUK
      MBJUK
      Bronze
      I know I promised no more posts today, but just had a sick 500 hand session where I ended up $21.66, and won $7.50 on the "simple" shootout free roll with the missions this month on Stars!

As previously stated, I'll post hands etc. tomorrow.

Played a few MTTs and didn't cash so current bankroll is $141.02, I'll be rolled for 10nl in no time!
    • MBJUK
      MBJUK
      Bronze
      Having a day off from cash, and went back to what I used to play, which was MTTSnGs and MTT guarantees! Ended up shipping a 180man tourney to boot!

Bankroll = $272.19!

Might take say a 5 buy-in shot at 10nl and drop back if it doesn't go as planned :)