• Zato1ch1

I have been playing for 1.5 months now. I have tried a few different game types trying to find the ones I enjoy the most.

I can say I am not that fond of speed / zoom poker. I have had little success with it, mostly I think because there isn't so much chance to get to know opponent's style. Its harder to read people.

I play on iPoker these games regularly:

$0.50 on tap, SNG, averaging 120 players, 1500 starting with no rebuy / addons.

SNG 6max double up - 1500 chips / 3 minute levels. Stake $1 / $2

And from time to time I'll enter freeroll tourneys, and sometimes ones with $1 / $2 entry but with rebuys and addons.

Also I have joined PokerStars and have started playing NL2 - $0.01/0.02.

I like the $1.10 Time tourneys, 15 or 30 minutes. Also enjoy the $0.02 990 man Hyper, $0.10 360 man Turbo, and sometimes the $1 Hyper 180 man, which is short stacked, 500 chips. I am playing in all the freerolls I can, particulaly the Privillage freeroll. I have placed ITM in a few of them, but not as regular or as high as I hope to do someday. I'm blown away by how big the tourneys are on PokerStars, 10000 people +.

Anyway here is my homework :)

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I play for fun, but hope to make money out of it if I can. I am competitive so I enjoy testing myself against everyone. I love the fact that there is skill and luck, along with pyschology invloved. It makes it tough sometimes but still fun!

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I don't always trust my instinct. I might have a very strong hand and still I can feel its going to go wrong, and yet something in my brain makes me go all in or bet more to see if maybe I was wrong. Not sure of that makes sense or not.

I lose concentration sometimes, which is very costly. Yesterday I had AJ, with Q, Q, J, 9, 10 and I got beat by a straight. Which is silly really I shouldn't have gone that far, I would have been beaten anyway as he had pocket Kings.

Sometimes I do play above my bankroll
      I go all in too often, mostly when shortstacked in MTTs.
      I think I tend to get too excited sometimes, and that can lead to mistakes after a huge hand.
      I don't really analyse sessions
      Having too many tables open.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

To not play every hand / gift money into the pot. Have a small range and if you hit that then raise and bet to maximise your winnings from a hand. You are entering less hands, so you need to try to get as much out of the hands you do enter as possible. On the flip sometimes your winning hand can be beaten, so you also need to know when to fold.

• 2 replies
    • BogdanPS
      Hello Zato1ch1,

Welcome to the course.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

Great work with the first homework. It's very detailed !!!

This course will be able to help you get better at your NL Holdem Cash game (rather than tournaments).

I highly recommend that you enforce a very strict BRM system or else you risk losing everything you worked hard to achieve up to that point.

Best of luck and keep up the good work.

• legand73
      Hey Zato1ch1

Welcome to the course. I hope you enjoy it. Imo it's good that you've taken up something such as this course after you've only just started to play poker because one of the hardest things is trying to unlearn poor habits rather than forming new ones. All the best for the course.