zoom poker, stacks and power of position

• drakgun
      drakgun
      Bronze
      Hi all,

Zoom poker have been my only focus on online poker and on my last session just crossed my mind 2 main questions.

Is it still worth playing hands based on position, and read the opponents by their position?

Stacks.. Well, when I see someone at the table with more than 2 BI, I just think in folding as soon as he makes a raise no matter what. Is it rational?
      On the other side when there is someone short-stacked I think or it is a fish that have been losing money or is someone using a short stack for bluff image.

What do you think?

All the best
      Drakgun
  • 8 replies
    • dingostarR
      dingostarR
      Bronze
      Hi Drakgun,

As for stacksizes, the guy with two BI's could be a fish who got lucky, thats why stats are very helpfull in determining that, so i would not say it is rational, so without stats on the guy just play your default game against him.
      And for the shorter than fullstacked, i think it is okay to assume it is a fish untill proven otherwise, if for instance he is kinda short and limps = certified fish! :D

I'm not shure i understand your question regarding position but it is definitly profitable to play in position

/dingo
    • drakgun
      drakgun
      Bronze
      The fact we are playing a fast speed poker, kinda makes our evaluation a bit loose, no?

I dont play according to position in zoom poker. I am guilty, but I am still a newbie for that matter.
      The core of my question is if you take in consideration the position of your opponent when you are about to limp raise fold or check?

Thanks
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Hey guys,

Moving this to the relevant board :)

Happy Christmas!
    • dingostarR
      dingostarR
      Bronze
      Well, you should start to pay attention to position, it is very important! Are you playing a positionally aware game in normal ringgames? Because you are gonna have a much higher winrate when playing ip than oop, and yes i am considering my opponents position as well if i have something that suggest which type of opponent it is (stats, stacksize etc.)
      Lately i see alot of player who open way too loose UTG and i 3bet them a ton and they propably could have avoided that if they were more positionally aware.
      And i play fast fold games as well.
    • legand73
      legand73
      Gold
      Hey drakgun

why don't you like position play? do you end up folding too often? and have a hard time letting go of say KTo in UTG?

I think the main thing to consider is that if we open tighter in early and middle position we find ourselves in less marginal spots post-flop. You can't really deny the positional advantage we have when we have position i.e we get to see what everybody else does before we make our decision. that's so much more info and since poker is a game of incomplete information we have more pieces to the puzzle.

sometimes when i see a deep stack like 200bb+ and his stats are loose i assume he has a high variance game and i'll probably be more willing to stack off lighter. at low limits

I think at micros it's safe to assume that a short stack is a fish but often there are exceptions i've only seen one dedicated short stacker and he was a bad shortstacker
    • drakgun
      drakgun
      Bronze
      hey legend73,

the question is not if i like to play in position and to be honest, one hand is enough to count all the sessions I played. So, summing up, I AM A FISH.xD

I play zoom, because I get bored very easly to a point I would give up after one single session in normal NL.

As i am studying some concepts, i was wondering if position is important in zoom poker as in normal games.
    • legand73
      legand73
      Gold
      ahk yeah well short answer is yes it's still uber important because you will find yourself in less tough spots if you tighten up in early positions and loosen up in later ones
    • reggie123
      reggie123
      Bronze
      As i am studying some concepts, i was wondering if position is important in zoom poker as in normal games.

Honest recommendation-dont play zoom if you have to ask this. Its even more important then in regualar tables-most microdonks dont use hud, steals, resteals give you massiv advantage. In normal table even a biggest fish will soon understand that you raise from button way to offten but in zoom it take a lot of time, plus if they call/raise you have a position. I see every day players who will call on BB with allmost any2 and fold to cbet. My button winrate is 66BB/100 and am a loose degen.