SSS strategy, when top pair turns to low pair

• jg2000
      jg2000
      Bronze
      What to do in SSS if top pair or overcards are not the best hand because on the turn or on the river you get a higher community card?

Basic strategy states that on flop you bet 2/3 of the pot then go all-in
      in case someone bets before you or raises after.

It can happen that on the flop you have a top pair, but the turn or river comes up with a higher card. Should you go all-in or fold? Since only the highest pair counts as a made hand.
  • 3 replies
    • Chiller3k
      Chiller3k
      Bronze
      Hi jg2000,

I played SSS for some time but I don't claim to be an expert in it.
      So if you were preflop aggressor and you hit top pair on the flop and made your conti bet which got called and the turn brings an overcard you've got to consider that you already invested something about 10BB in the pot. The Pot should be 21.5BB big. So even if an overcard hits the turn you can't fold here imo due to the pot odds. So I would shove the turn myself or call an allin of my opponent, depending on the situation.
      But if you've got some specific hands, feel free to post them in our hand evaluation board:
      SSS hand evaluation

Best regards,
      Chiller3k
    • jg2000
      jg2000
      Bronze
      Hi back to you chiller3k!

I didn't have such an example yet, but I will take the example from this
      strategy guide:

For example you have a top pair jacks. I bet 2/3 of the pot and the opponent calls. And on the turn or the river comes a king. Naturally, your pair of jacks is no longer a top pair as any pair of kings could claim this title now. The highest community card is now a king after all.

So after king comes and he raises do I shove or fold?
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      Assuming you raised preflop and made a 2/3 bet after the flop might as well go all in after the turn no matter what comes. As chiller3k stated you already have to much of your stack invested and it would be a mistake to fold now. Theres no guarantee that your opponent has that overcard in there hand so your hand might still be good.