pok3rus

• pok3rus
      pok3rus
      Bronze
      Hello,
      a year ago I started playing poker on pokerstars. I didn't knew anything about poker, any jack, queen, king was good enough to play. Obviously I spent my firt deposit(20dollars) very quickly. Then I read some book(around 70 pages) and deposit 100 dollars. First, I was ok, I was up around 20-30 dollars, but then downswing came and I took it pretty badly. I went to a higher buyins and even start playing MTTs.
      Now I turned a new page in my poker story. I am playing cashgame, my bankroll is big enough for NL5, multitabling 4-6 tables and at the of 30k hands I am breakeven(+5dollars). EV+ graf (+35dollars)

Homework #1:

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      I am playing poker for fun, but I wouldnt say no to a little profit from this game.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

My holdemmager says that I dont consider positions. I have a really large VPIP from SB, but this is because I steal blinds a lot. Then second problem is that I consider KK for nuts preflop, so a lot of many went in pots AA vs KK preflop allin.
      thirdly, I get into many pots, because I got feeling that they are stealing blinds. So there comes few unsuccesful bluffs.
      I think thats all :)

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      TAG means playing only good hands(mostly in late position) and then put opponnents under a huge pressure, so they fold a hand even if they would beat you.

P.S.: sorry for bad english
  • 8 replies
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Hey pok3rus

Welcome to the beginner's course. Good to see that you've taken a new step in reaching greater success in poker and that you're using tracking software. These things are +EV decisions. Bogdan (the course coach) will be with you in the coming days to check your homework.

goodluck with the course,
      Luke
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello pok3rus,

Welcome to the course.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

Good job with the first homework.

KK is definitely the nuts in many spots preflop. There are scenarios (few) where one would want to lay them down such as vs really tight players or early positions or really deep.

Hopefully this course will be able to help you move up the limits.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Bogdan
    • pok3rus
      pok3rus
      Bronze
      I hope it is OK to use this thread as my poker blog, not only for beginner course's homeworks.

Since my first post I didnt go through any lesson, but I was pretty successful at the tables. I was running pretty damn good, made a few hero calls with overpairs :f_cool: , which I usually fold and this time I got aces, when opponents had kings.

Its like Christmas time :D

edit: http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/5583178

I have a question about this hand. I probably made a mistake at the flop, where I should 3bet/push allin or easly fold.
      Any advice?

Merry Christmas and happy New Year!
    • pok3rus
      pok3rus
      Bronze
      HOMEWORK NL Beginners Course - Lesson 2

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why? (Are there any hands you would play differently? Do you have a problem or question about how a specific hand or hands should be played?)
      If im holding a pocket pair I almost always call see a flop. When I am on the blinds I often defend them. Then if I am on the button and there is no action before me I raise with anytwo cards.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      Im not sure what to do with a big reraise with 1010-QQ and AK. If fish reraises me I usually just push, but with regs I dont know where I stand and then play pretty passive.

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

46.324/53.676

Here is my graph for December 2013. I have been playing quite a lot, running pretty badly the majority of time. I did not make profit with KK (-4$ :s_o: ).

Here is my question for cash games EV+ graph:
      Does it ever come even with total winnings?

Happy New Year everybody !
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Gold
      Originally posted by pok3rus
      Don't let the gambler's fallacy mislead you: the difference between your lifetime total winnings and lifetime EV will, on average, stay the same as it is now.

However, the difference between the lifetime actual and EV winrates, i.e. the EV difference divided by the total number of hands played, will converge to zero almost surely according to the law of large numbers; in other words, the EV difference will likely grow slower than the number of hands played.

Another, even more advanced, theorem about how big lifetime down- or upswings may be is the law of the iterated logarithm; it implies that the peak EV difference will likely grow faster than the square root of the number of hands.

There are a couple of skillful but extremely unlucky guys who have run over 350 BI below EV in PLO, but they're both SNEs having played millions of hands and they've handled the swings well, profited and made a living anyway thanks to FPPs.

All that said, please forget the advanced random process theory and care only about making better decisions at and off the tables, then the EV line and the bankroll will likely be growing faster too :)

Happy NY and GL with dragging the orange line up in 2014!
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by pok3rus
      HOMEWORK NL Beginners Course - Lesson 2

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      Im not sure what to do with a big reraise with 1010-QQ and AK. If fish reraises me I usually just push, but with regs I dont know where I stand and then play pretty passive.

Happy New Year everybody !
      Q1: how big of a reraise are we talking about and what stack sizes/positions. Unfortunately there isn't just a general answer for this.

Q2: Yeh, the graph could even out eventually but it will always fluctuate up and down.
    • pok3rus
      pok3rus
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BogdanPS

Q1: how big of a reraise are we talking about and what stack sizes/positions. Unfortunately there isn't just a general answer for this.
      You're right. There is just to much situations that there would be just one answer. Even too much situation to describe them. I'll get help on that area on slovenian poker forum.

Resently, I give a chance 6max games. I go on lower limit and play around 1k hands. I realize that 6max is absolutely more agressive, there is more defending and stealing blind, more 3betting...
      Can anyone give me recommended stats for 6max. game and some advice?

Thanks for your help.

Pok3rus
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi pok3rus

The idea is that you have to pick some scenarios to work through them and try to understand how it works.

And 6 max is more aggro and you want to used what you learnt at FR and then start to open up. Add more 3-bets (value/bluffs) or more opens, etc.

The last thing you can do in 6max is play nitty and passive because the blinds will eat you up (they come around more often).