Around we go again....zoom zoom

• kolonel71
      kolonel71
      Bronze
      Hey all,

Here we go again.

After resurrecting my SNG blog and being emotionally beaten trying to attempt Hypers, I decided to have one last crack at CG. As i am a bit of a junkie for volume, I have started up playing Zoom micro on PokerStars (sadly not affiliated with PokerStrategy as it is an old account).

After playing for 4 days so far, I have managed to accumulate almost 17k hands. Have had my moments with more winning sessions than losing and have managed to be up around 11BI (even after dropping 3BI last session).

I still feel i am playing a little passive, with a combo of 15/12/5 stats at the moment which has been a wild mix of nitty sessions thrown in with some over the top aggro ones to counter them. Don't really have any reason for this but i know i am not playing optimal.

My biggest challenge will be to analyse my games and post some hands to have them looked over. I know this is really the only way to improve but easier said than done. After playing fairly solid for the last couple days, will spend some time going over and posting some weird spots and not bother with any bad beats and coolers.

What filters do some of you cash players use to analyse ?

Started with $20 in my account, i have manged to build it up slowly but surely:

• 13 replies
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Hey kolonel71,

Welcome back to the blogs!

Nice to see that you're able to put in some pretty sweet volume already. Hopefully that'll allow you to move up the stakes quickly, if you also keep working on your game!

Are you playing FR or 6max? If you're playing 6max, then playing 15/12 seems way too tight to me. But is seems to be a winning strategy so far so that's good :)

Regarding which filters to use and how to do session reviews, our coach and video producer BogdanPS has a bunch of videos on how to do sessions reviews (some in a very short time). You can find these videos here:

Videos - BogdanPS

This is just a list of all his videos. Just browse through them and you'll find plenty of videos on Holdem Manager filters, as well as videos on how to do session reviews.

Hopefully that helps, and keep us updated :)

Kind regards,
      Tino
    • kolonel71
      kolonel71
      Bronze
      Hey TinoLaan, thanks for dropping by.

Currently playing 6max and I have made a note to myself that my stats are a little on the tight side. As much as it may be working for me, I feel i need to look where i can open up a few more spots where possible.

Thanks for the suggestion for the videos, I will make sure to check them out.

Looking forward to hearing from other zoom players and continue to post up some hand histories to look at.

Rob
    • Dublindeuce
      Dublindeuce
      Bronze
      Nice graph. Will be following this. What level are u playing on zoom? I take it your 4 tabling to rack up 17k hands in 4 days?
      How long are your sessions? Do u structure them into slots or just play til you have had enough?
    • kolonel71
      kolonel71
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dublindeuce
      Nice graph. Will be following this. What level are u playing on zoom? I take it your 4 tabling to rack up 17k hands in 4 days?
      How long are your sessions? Do u structure them into slots or just play til you have had enough?
      Thanks Dublindeuce.

I am very happy with the graph thus far (includes -6BI playing standard 2NL) and have attained that by 4 tabling the 6max 2NL tables. Graph wise, i have read that the NSD line is almost irrelevant at these levels so i will not be too hard and start tightening up to a fit or fold mode.

Session length is about 60-80 minutes each time, which i think is a bit too much as i get stuck in auto pilot towards the end. Although, there are times i am in the groove and i just keep going until i make a stupid mistake :D I feel 30-40 minute sessions would be ideal with maybe 10 minutes to go over some hands and assess my play. That's the goal anyway.

I want to use an aggressive BRM and take a 3-4 BI shot when i hit the $100 mark. The general consensus is that play is similar up to the 25NL anyways. I have also been considering 2 tabling and focus a little more on my game play, including pot control. I seem to have a habit of building a big pot with TP on drawy boards and finding myself second guessing myself on the Turn/River. Something i will work on as i am sure i can sacrifice a little volume for stronger play

Have been directed to a couple videos regarding sessions review and have started taking some general notes on my biggest losses so far. Some of it was just plain donking and i am sure i have been marked as a fish by a few :f_biggrin:

Rob
    • kolonel71
      kolonel71
      Bronze
      A quick 500 hands which will be my new regime so i do not get bogged down with random clicking late game. Picked up a BI but also should have seen the following.

Probably a spot where i could be letting go. My biggest leak is I am not thinking of what ranges they could be and this is could easily an overpair as well as SC. When he does not 3bet shove flop and leads Turn I should probably know better ?

Poker Stars $2.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players

Hero (BTN): $5.20 - VPIP: 15, PFR: 12, 3B: 5, AF: 3.4, Hands: 17348
      SB: $2.08 - VPIP: 20, PFR: 17, 3B: 5, AF: 1.0, Hands: 65
      BB: $1.43 - VPIP: 43, PFR: 14, 3B: 20, AF: 4.0, Hands: 7
      UTG: $1.27 - VPIP: 17, PFR: 17, 3B: NaN, AF: Infinity, Hands: 6
      MP: $2.00 - VPIP: 28, PFR: 19, 3B: 0, AF: Infinity, Hands: 32
      CO: $1.09 - VPIP: 17, PFR: 13, 3B: 0, AF: Infinity, Hands: 23

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with K :diamond: K :club:
      UTG raises to $0.04, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, 1 fold, BB calls $0.13, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.35) 5 :heart: 6 :heart: 6 :club: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.16, Hero raises to $0.48, BB calls $0.32

Turn: ($1.31) 3 :heart: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.62, Hero calls $0.62

River: ($2.55) 9 :diamond: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.18, Hero calls $0.18

Hand #2 - This just got ugly

Poker Stars $2.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 2387851
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: $2.18 - VPIP: 19, PFR: 15, 3B: 4, AF: 3.2, Hands: 188
      SB: $2.08 - VPIP: 16, PFR: 12, 3B: 0, AF: 2.0, Hands: 194
      BB: $1.78 - VPIP: 61, PFR: 19, 3B: 0, AF: 2.7, Hands: 31
      UTG: $3.07 - VPIP: 38, PFR: 24, 3B: 0, AF: 0.0, Hands: 21
      Hero (MP): $4.95 - VPIP: 15, PFR: 12, 3B: 5, AF: 3.4, Hands: 17348
      CO: $3.23 - VPIP: 29, PFR: 22, 3B: 0, AF: 1.9, Hands: 117

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is MP with T :heart: T :diamond:
      1 fold, Hero raises to $0.07, 1 fold, BTN raises to $0.22, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.47) T :spade: 8 :diamond: Q :spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.32, BTN calls $0.32

Turn: ($1.11) 9 :spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.52, Hero calls $0.52

River: ($2.15) 6 :spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $1.12, Hero folds
    • kolonel71
      kolonel71
      Bronze
      Nice milestone post with the 20k hands put in and doubled up on initial investment. Still grinding out the 2NL and had a couple interesting moments this morning by getting it in good only to see runner runner split pot with stacks in the middle :)

Have slowly opened up my ranges without sacrificing too much but still find i am a little too passive when playing missed flops. Might need to look up a coach to help me correct it soon and keep working at posting more hands.

Merry Xmas all (we have already had ours :D )

Rob
    • kolonel71
      kolonel71
      Bronze
      Another 4k hands and my bad calling tendencies are costing me the bulk of my losses. I am not sure whether it is focus, stupidity or whatever but it is killing me at times from having a good session. It also seems to happen early and i manage to recoup a good portion of it with some better play. Case in point last session, went down almost 2BI and managed to grind it out for a +1BI.

Would be nice to get some consistency though.

Have also opened up my ranges, where applicable and also picking up some more dead money. Still a little soft in the blinds, but picking up a little more from CO now. Looking forward to a good 2014 and will continue to look at ways of improving my game. Thankfully, as bad as i am playing, i am still winning........for now :D

I have also listed my stats from HEM and welcome to any critique from members that may see a glaring issue:

Overall position stats:

Happy New Year everyone !!! :f_cool:
    • kolonel71
      kolonel71
      Bronze
      Just finished off 500 hand session with some good results (except for the first set i hit and lose to a bigger one :( ) Such is life........

Also had an interesting hand where "i know" he has Aces, but what can you do (he was unlucky in the end though but have had this happen to me many times in the past) ?

Poker Stars $2.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 2392243

BTN: $1.87 - VPIP: 0, PFR: 0, 3B: NaN, AF: NaN, Hands: 1
      SB: $2.58 - VPIP: 46, PFR: 33, 3B: 10, AF: 2.0, Hands: 61
      BB: $2.23 - VPIP: 14, PFR: 0, 3B: 0, AF: Infinity, Hands: 7
      UTG: $2.22 - VPIP: 0, PFR: 0, 3B: NaN, AF: NaN, Hands: 1
      MP: $3.83 - VPIP: 50, PFR: 50, 3B: NaN, AF: NaN, Hands: 2
      Hero (CO): $2.17 - VPIP: 17, PFR: 14, 3B: 6, AF: 3.2, Hands: 24937

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is CO with K :spade: K :heart:
      1 fold, MP raises to $0.06, Hero raises to $0.21, 3 folds, MP raises to $0.36, Hero raises to $1.11, MP raises to $2.52, Hero calls $1.06 all in

Flop: ($4.37) 9 :heart: Q :heart: 4 :heart: (2 players - 1 is all in)

Turn: ($4.37) Q :spade: (2 players - 1 is all in)

River: ($4.37) 8 :heart: (2 players - 1 is all in)

Another leak i picked up as well that i am not getting enough value for some of my hands where i should be good. Just have that problem of pulling the trigger some times, as i keep thinking if i bet too much they are just gonna fold anyway. Something to work on anyways.

Also posted hand below to look at, as it is standard aggression i come up against with strong preflop hands where i get a little bit lost: NL2 6max Zoom - Aggression on flop

Good luck on the tables all !!!
    • kolonel71
      kolonel71
      Bronze
      Really struggling to find my game at the moment as i am trying to find the right solution without realising exactly what the problem is. I feel i have corrected my opening ranges somewhat and not getting myself into anywhere near the trouble i used to.

Issues/concerns:
      • Properly ranging villain from each position and tendencies
      • Getting value for my strong hands on drawy boards
      • Getting bullied off mid TP hands
      • Formalising a non nitty 3bet range (AK, QQ+ only)

Thankfully i am still breaking even but feel that i should be getting a better grasp of the topics listed above which will help my game immensely.

My intention was to build a buffer in my bankroll to get some coaching but looks like one won't happen without the other :D

Continuing with the Zoom tables (after saying i wouldn't) but have reduced it to 2 tabling to make sure i am better focused on either table. Started to post some more hands and take any criticism on the chin, regardless of how obvious it may seem. Won't bother posting the bad beats as that it just part of the game. Also reviewing after each session (approx 500 hands a time) but can't take advantage of the notes i take as HEM does not seem to be working with Zoom tables.

Any ideas how to get HEM working with Zoom tables? Seems to lag by a hand or 2 and have gone over a number of forums (including HEM) but no luck yet.

Thanks for reading.
      Rob
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Holdem Manager definitely works with Zoom tables. However you need to make sure you're running PokerStars as an administrator.

Also if it "lags" behind a hand or two, then that usually is because you have quick folded but the rest of the hand hasn't been played out yet. Therefore the stats for that hand won't be updated yet.

Hope that makes sense :)
    • kolonel71
      kolonel71
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TinoLaan
      Holdem Manager definitely works with Zoom tables. However you need to make sure you're running PokerStars as an administrator.

Also if it "lags" behind a hand or two, then that usually is because you have quick folded but the rest of the hand hasn't been played out yet. Therefore the stats for that hand won't be updated yet.

Hope that makes sense :)
      Thanks for that TinoLaan.

I will give it a try if i continue with the Zoom tables.

Thinking about it now (and having someone else mention it in a hand eval), reg speed tables will give me better options for working on ranging my opponents and in the short term, not worry about getting a tonne of hands in.

Goal is to get better not volume ;)
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Fair enough, you should definitely do what you think is best for you! :)
    • kolonel71
      kolonel71
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TinoLaan
      Fair enough, you should definitely do what you think is best for you! :)
      Most definately.

Last 2 sessions have been playing normal tables and finding i am working on villains a lot better but still need to continue to do some work. Was also happy not to lose it about 4th hand of session when villain binked his 2 outer River to take down a large pot which dropped me 2.5Bi early. Managed to grind away for almost +1.5BI by session end.

Also identifying player types has made a difference when i know i can extract $$$ by getting myself into good situations with them. Had both these villains call me down with 2nd and 3rd pair on earlier hand, which helped me to win this one (was a shame to get the BTN fold though :D ):

Poker Stars $2.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 2393139

UTG: $1.23 - VPIP: 47, PFR: 20, 3B: 0, AF: Infinity, Hands: 15
      MP: $0.59 - VPIP: 40, PFR: 13, 3B: 0, AF: 0.3, Hands: 15
      CO: $0.87 - VPIP: 74, PFR: 0, 3B: 0, AF: 0.5, Hands: 34
      BTN: $0.88 - VPIP: 34, PFR: 13, 3B: 0, AF: 1.4, Hands: 62
      Hero (SB): $3.09 - VPIP: 17, PFR: 14, 3B: 6, AF: 3.2, Hands: 26269
      BB: $4.22 - VPIP: 21, PFR: 13, 3B: 3, AF: 1.8, Hands: 212

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is SB with T :spade: K :spade:
      1 fold, MP raises to $0.04, CO calls $0.04, BTN calls $0.04, Hero calls $0.03, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.18) 3 :heart: 8 :spade: T :heart: (4 players)
      Hero bets $0.10, MP folds, CO calls $0.10, BTN calls $0.10

Turn: ($0.48) T :diamond: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.36, CO calls $0.36, BTN calls $0.36

River: ($1.56) 2 :club: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.40, CO calls $0.37 all in, BTN folds

Then there was this hand where i am pretty sure i am getting the correct odds to call the Turn. With his lead on Turn and putting him on a set, or even 2 pair type hand, we have enough equity in our hand to call (i hope):

Poker Stars $2.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 2393140

UTG: $3.47 - VPIP: 21, PFR: 13, 3B: 3, AF: 1.8, Hands: 212
      MP: $0.75 - VPIP: 22, PFR: 11, 3B: 0, AF: Infinity, Hands: 9
      CO: $5.10 - VPIP: 18, PFR: 13, 3B: 0, AF: 2.0, Hands: 56
      Hero (BTN): $2.11 - VPIP: 17, PFR: 14, 3B: 6, AF: 3.2, Hands: 26269
      SB: $3.32 - VPIP: 24, PFR: 12, 3B: 0, AF: 3.1, Hands: 117
      BB: $2.08 - VPIP: 20, PFR: 12, 3B: 0, AF: 1.0, Hands: 25

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BTN with T :heart: J :heart:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.05, SB calls $0.04, BB calls $0.03

Flop: ($0.15) Q :heart: 3 :club: 2 :heart: (3 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $0.02, Hero raises to $0.10, SB calls $0.10, BB folds

Turn: ($0.37) 9 :diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.22, Hero calls $0.22

River: ($0.81) K :club: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.58, Hero raises to $1.74, SB calls $1.16

Hopefully i can keep the momentum going.