SSS on 0.02/0.04

• bnapalm
      bnapalm
      Bronze
      Hello!
      Is it possible to play SSS on this limit? I know people usually say no, because of the minimum $1 stack you can bring to the table, but why not? $1 is 25 BB, which is the upper stack limit for playing SSS (according to articles). Besides, you will immediately be down 1.5 BB, because you start on the blinds..

I am asking because I am having a bit of a downswing - of the starting 36 euros I only have 24 or 25 euros left (playing NL10)..

I was looking at my hands which lost me the most of money, and I am sticking to the SSS articles almost all the time, and when I don't, it's not intentional - like not looking at my stack and betting 2/3 of the pot when I should have gone all-in, etc.
  • 2 replies
    • Velak
      Velak
      Bronze
      I've never had to drop down that low, I started on the .05/.10 tables as the strategies suggested.

Having said that, if I was starting with a low bankroll, as you are.. so long as you follow the SSS, I don't see any major reason you couldn't play at this level if you're more comfortable with that.

The most important thing is to play your hands well. I say this often (some people here must be tired of hearing it).. but remember that with SSS you're playing somewhere in the area of 6% of your hands. You can't afford to make many mistakes when you finally do get one of those precious playable hands.

It's good that you're reviewing your hands and checking for mistakes in the replay. I recommend this as well. Even though I've been playing SSS since I started playing poker online.. I STILL review my hands after every session.

If I have a bad session, I sometimes still feel good about it after replaying the hands and seeing that I played them properly.. Sometimes, you just get beat. It happens.

And sometimes (like the night before last) when I actually win, and I see a hand which, on further review I say to myself "what the hell was I doing?" it makes me realize that I can always improve.

Granted, in that case it was only one hand out of the entire day, but I had played it so badly I'm not sure what was going through my mind at that moment. Even my partner was shaking her head in embarrassment at my play on that hand.

I review my hands with my partner, and discuss them. I find it not only helps me, but she learns from the mistakes as well, and it also keeps me honest. It's very easy to say "I had a lot of suckouts today, that's why I lost".. but.. when you have a witness, at the end of the day, you know for a fact if you played well and got beat, or if you just played badly.

You have to be honest with yourself.

So, I'd say go ahead and drop down, if you feel more comfortable with that. If you don't have the strategy burned into your brain, perhaps even play on play money tables.. until you're sure you have the basic strategy down.

It is possible to start with no bankroll and build one. I did, with just the $50 starting capital from PokerStrategy, but you have to make sure you don't make too many mistakes.

Good skill to you!
    • bnapalm
      bnapalm
      Bronze
      Thank you for the advice. I did move down to NL4 for a bit, but now I went back to NL10. I got out of the downswing - I'm +30 BB right now (1,3K hands played), although I'm still down $4,05 because many of those BB were won at the NL4 tables, and most of the losses were at NL10. But I'm making less and less mistakes, and it's going good :)