Need to get to grips with PT4

• CreamyGoodness
      CreamyGoodness
      Bronze
      Hi all

There might be a sticky or go-to thread on this already. If so, feel free to flame me but please post a link!

Im a 25NL 6max player with 10K hands logged on Stars. I realize that isn't much but bear with me.

I've just started using PT4 for the first time, and I'm looking for some general advice on how to use it. I don't mean technical things like getting it up and running, importing, firewalls or any of that stuff - PT4s support can handle that. What I need is tips on how maximize it as a tool, such as:

Which Stats are most important for evaluating my own play.

Deciphering the graphs eg. My adj. EV line is significantly higher than my BB won line. Should it be this way? If not, is it just short term variance or poor play?7
      Should I be concerned with other lines?

What to focus on in reports, and after how many hands does a report become relevant? I was thinking roughly every 10K hands.

Why I win less on the BU than in EP.

And any other important features/stats you can think of.

Now that I think of it, I could have saved everybody the time spent on reading this by just asking: What are PT4s most important features for you?

Thanks for your time

Creamy
  • 2 replies
    • PokerTracker
      PokerTracker
      Gold
      Originally posted by CreamyGoodness

Which Stats are most important for evaluating my own play.
      Use PokerTracker 4's built in LeakTracker - this is THE place to get started! LeakTracker is only available for cash games (it would be too complicated to accurately create a LeakTracker for tournaments), but tournament players can use this tool as well to learn key stats and the average ranges of winning players.

Deciphering the graphs eg. My adj. EV line is significantly higher than my BB won line. Should it be this way? If not, is it just short term variance or poor play?7

Ignore the graphs. Far to many players make the mistake of over reliance on graphs the real "gold" in tracking software is in the reports, not the graphs. Graphs are "feel good" tools, but they tell you nothing about your play... focus on your game, not the winnings.

Net Adjusted Winnings is a measurement of expectation calculated by using the ICM value of each chip, multiplied by the equity share of the pot subtracted from your realized expectation (or it can become the actual realized winnings if you busted out in that hand or finished in first place). This is a measurement of expectation, not luck.... we advise users to ignore this stat until they become advanced users who understand the statistical significance of expectation. Once again this is not EV, that is a very common mistake that players make and then tell each other that it is EV... but it is expectation.

What to focus on in reports, and after how many hands does a report become relevant? I was thinking roughly every 10K hands.

Each stat converges at a different rate, for example you will find that VPIP starts to become realistic after a sample size of just 50 hands, and starts to converge around 100. But you may fund that it takes a few thousand hands for 3Bet stats to begin to converge, for some players it may take 10,000 hands. Basically the more opportunities there are for an action to be tracked, the faster the stat converges.

PS: Our staff live and die by the reports, and when we teach others how to use PokerTracker 4 we rely almost 100% of the reports for post-game analysis combined with replayer review.

Why I win less on the BU than in EP.

If your sample size is too small, that could occur even if your a winning player because you are playing fewer hands in Early Position than you should be on the button. If not, focus your calling and raising stats, Won Wen Saw Flop, Float Flop, Call CBet, and CBet stats. Look at both 3Bet and non-3Bet pots. With time, you will learn to find the leaks, and be able to coach yourself.

Now that I think of it, I could have saved everybody the time spent on reading this by just asking: What are PT4s most important features for you?

The filters, in particular the Actions & Opportunities filters. We use these combined with Positional reports for around 70% of our self analysis. We also use My Reports quite a bit combined with saved filters to find specific situations such as reviewing 3Bets from out of position or when reviewing play on boards that have a specific "texture" or made hands that can be tricky such as middle pair hands, or situations where the hero is IP, calls a 3Bet with a pair.

We speak to some of the greatest players in the world about how they use our software, what we provided above is great insight into how they think, they find the reports for post game analysis to be far more valuable than anything else in PT4 - even more valuable than the HUD. Remember the HUD is a performance tool, it helps you perform better but it does not make you a better player - only YOU can help yourself to become a better player, and this can be done by some serious post game review sessions using PT4's reports, filters, and replayer.

Good luck!

PS: This post would make a great sticky ;-)
    • CreamyGoodness
      CreamyGoodness
      Bronze
      great reply thank you. Yet another reason I chose PT4!

ill start fiddling with reports after 25k hands and see where it takes me.