[NL2-NL10] NL25 QJ on the SB

• caltabiano
      0,1/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.60 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q:heart: , J:diamond:
      2 folds, MP1 calls $0,25, MP2 calls $0,25, MP3 calls $0,25, CO calls $0,25, BU calls $0,25, Hero calls $0,15, BB checks.

Flop: ($1,75) 6:diamond: , 8:club: , Q:spade: (7 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($1,75) 2:diamond: (7 players)
      Hero bets $1,75, 4 folds, CO calls $1,75, BU folds.

River: ($5,25) 2:spade: (2 players)
      Hero raises $3,90 (All-In), CO calls $3,90.

Final Pot: $13,05

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows two pairs, queens and deuces (Qh Jd)
      CO shows a full-house, sixes full of deuces (6h 6c)

CO wins with a full-house, sixes full of deuces (6h 6c)

My first question: Could I really have called with that hand? It's not in the SHC, but I figured there were enough limpers to make it worth it, since I was on the SB. Is that judgement correct?

And then on the flop, I hit the top pair. I had an alright kicker, but a shitty position, so I thought I'd check first to see what the other people would do. Since nobody bet and the turn was completely harmless, I thought I was probably ahead.

Was it rightly played?
  • 4 replies
    • davidangel
      First off, fold preflop. The hand is not on the SHC, so you must have good post-flop skills to play hands off the chart. TP mid kicker is a rag in a 7-way pot, so you did well to check the flop. On the turn, you are oop and still have a rag, so I would check again and maybe call a small bet.
      You have not improved by the river, villian has not shown aggression: If you bet the turn I would check/call small bet. If the turn went check/check I would bet 1/2 pot value bet on the river and fold to a raise. Think about it, if you all checked to the river and you won $1.75 your SSS is complete and you can leave the table. If you lose you spent .15 and are still in fine shape. Here you have risked 23+BB on a weak hand, it is simply not profitable. In a freeplay you must attempt to keep the pot small unless you have a made hand.
      I wrote this reply and then looked at results... what did you think he would turn over... K8?
      In conclusion, when you freeplay from the SB you need 3 limp/gimps in front. Broadways you fold unless you flop a str8 or a 12 outer. With suited cards you fold unless you flop a Q+ flush or a 12 outer. With small PP you fold unless you hit a set or have good overpair on a dry board. And you need to play perfect post flop... SSS has very little room to gamble, or make a costly mistake.
    • caltabiano
      Thanks for the reply ,mate. It was very helpful =)

I'll keep all these things in mind for the next time.

• Gerv
      Hi Calta,

If you are not familiar with Post-Flop play as in BSS/SH/MTTs, I recommend folding it preflop.

However as played, your call isn't a leak you get 11:1 to call and that's too tempting.

Flop is Dry and only Pocket 6/8 which can be a serious holding in one of your Opponents hand.
      Checking it to the River is the most appropriate and safe play.

Your Turnbet is OK to grab the pot but since CO calls you, I would consider checking it on the River because you only have TopPair Medium kicker. I would play Check/call on the River if the bet of Villain was $2 or lower.

- Gerv
    • ysessa
      Hi caltabiano,

the preflop odds are great but the hand is a real trouble spot. Since its off suite you should play it for flops like 2 pair oesd and not top pairs to stack off. I dont like your Turn potsizebet into 6 people no worse hand will call, I would check call once and hope to see the showdown as cheap as possible, you can easily be behind against 66,88,KQ,Q8,Q6,68,22. There are only 2 cards you dont want to see an Ace or a King, so its something like way ahead / way behind.