[NL2-NL10] NL10 fold straight draw?

• Fiftyshuffle
      Fiftyshuffle
      Bronze
      0,05/0,1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.60 by http://www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7, 2 (Comment)
      4 folds, CO calls $0,10, 2 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0,25) 8, 6, 5 (2 players) (Comment)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0,20, Hero folds, CO gets uncalled bet back..

Final Pot: $0,25

My question is if I should call here with an OESD even though the pot is that small...
      Thanks
  • 5 replies
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      I think folding was the right choice... You could probably count 6 - 7 outs from that OESD. That gives you odds of around 6:1 - 7:1.

The pot odds however were around 2:1... you'd have to make him call a big bet, in order to make it worth playing. And since your straight would be rather obvious if you hit it, you wouldn't extract enough money from him
    • Fiftyshuffle
      Fiftyshuffle
      Bronze
      Originally posted by caltabiano
      I think folding was the right choice... You could probably count 6 - 7 outs from that OESD. That gives you odds of around 6:1 - 7:1.

The pot odds however were around 2:1... you'd have to make him call a big bet, in order to make it worth playing. And since your straight would be rather obvious if you hit it, you wouldn't extract enough money from him
      thanks for the fast reply
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      Fold as played but leading the flop here is usually OK.
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      Here you will need a read on your villian, his limp from the CO is a weak play, he likely has broadways or suitors. If the board is 2/3 fold immediatly to a bet. If he is a tight player or passive and you are fairly sure he will check behing on the turn you can call as you are getting the right odds to take it to the river (2:1 with 8 outs) Do not lead out bet oop without a made hand! Against weak chum oop you can often check/call the flop and blockbet/fold the turn. This move confuses them and they start to doubt thier hand strength. EG, in this hand the pot is .65 on the turn, if you blockbet .10 you get the 5:1 odds needed to continue. If at anytime the villian gets aggresive, you must fold. In my example here, you will have risked .3 to gain .55 even if villian folds on the river. (almost the 2:1 needed) If you complete the turn you lead bet/3-bet all-in, and if you complete the river you value bet/3-bet all-in. Freeplays require good post-flop skills, so keep posting, and fold if you are unsure, or on the margins. It is often best to make safeplays as SSSr, and make the big risks with big hands.
    • IngolPoker
      IngolPoker
      Black
      you might bet because he is likely to fold.
      but you can never checkcall for these odds!