• jawoftheox

I've decided to join beginners course, to get through the basics one more time and just to start think more. I am going to start a blog as well, to track my progress and to keep motivated. I'm off school for a while now and It's quite hard to get back on learning habits and routine.

I've been around poker for a while, started playing for cash few years ago at school, was making decent pocket money, that went for a year or so. When I became 18, I started playing online, where I was completely loosing player, I never learned much and was just burning money. In past 6 weeks I started to take it more seriously, currently I'm playing NL2 on various sites. I'll probably get more into detail in blog.

p.s. I wanted to post a picture of a guy, wearing a backpack with a sticker "back to school", while holding a shotgun on his shoulders, but couldn't find it on web.
  • 7 replies
    • jawoftheox
      What is your motivation for playing poker?

Well, financial independence of course, being a master of my own. That's a lifetime goal though. But generally it's fun. I loved poker since the first time I played and there are hands where I lose big pots or whole stacks, but it puts a smile on my face, so it's not always about money. The feeling you get when you force your opponent fold the best hand is truly great, not on NL2 though, that's more for live games.

What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I'm not going to get too deep into detail here, but general weaknesses are:
      - lack of concentration (autopilot)
      - getting knowledge into practice
      - tilt (irrational decisions)
      - bad memory
      - imprudent decisions
      - lack of patience

These are my general weaknesses, though they're improved in past few weeks, I'm going to work hard to continue improving them.

What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

It means choosing your hands preflop carefully and play them with initiative. TAG is most profitable style, though LAG can be very profitable as well it probably requires more skill/experience. Playing TAG creates way less tough decisions, than LAG for example. Imo.
    • legand73
      Hi jawofthe ox

Welcome to the beginner's course. I really hope you enjoy it, i remember finding it really helpful when I took part in it. Bogdan our course coach will be by in the coming days to check your homework.

• BogdanPS
      Hello jawoftheox,

Welcome to the course.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

Good job with the first homework.

Hopefully this course will be able to help you move up the limits.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

• jawoftheox
      Thanks, Bogdan! :)

What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

Well, I have never played by SHC, but I think it is quite good for beginning players, but I play a bit looser. For example I always open AQs from UTG, I think it is definitely strong enough, sometimes AJs. Also there are not included steals so opening from CO and BU are much wider, than SHC suggests. And also I don't think that 99=22 or KQs=JTs, so I always openraise 88-99 from UTG, often much wider. 99 is definitely strong enough from every position. Same with KQs, which I would open from MP, but would fold JTs.

Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

Yes. If there are several loose-passive limpers before me, and I'm in MP2-CO holding A9s-AJs, QJs-KQs, 77-99 what would be the best play? I sometimes raise, sometimes call, sometimes fold, if expect to get raised. If there is a regular who limped, I expect his range to consist of pocket pairs, so I don't worry about that, but loose ranges can consist even of hands like AK, JJ, AQs etc., so I often would be dominated, but I think I can outplay them after flop. And if I raise, they will often call with hands like T8s, J9s, QTo etc, and it's often easy money..

NL2 QQ on K high board
      NL2 TT on wet board
      NL2 QQ A high flop
      NL2 flopping straight
      NL2 KK paired flop

What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

46,32% by Equilab
    • BogdanPS
      Hi jaw,

Good job with the homework.

Re: question

I think that with the hands you've listed you always want to raise unless you have some other information that would prevent you (such as frequently getting limp reraised).

So yes, you are correct that raising is the best play.
    • jawoftheox
      Hello, Bogdan

It's been a while since my last update, but I'm still looking forward to complete the course :)

You are holding K:spade: Q:spade: . What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3:diamond: 3:club: ? How does the equity change on this flop: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade: ?

Preflop we have 50,78% equity, 26,46% on the flop.

What would you do in the following hand?

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with A:club: J:club:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 2:club: 6:diamond: 3:diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5:club: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

I would cbet flop, I think that on the flop we're still ahead most of the time, as played I would call the minraise and c/f river if won't hit flush.
      We have 4.1:1 pot odds, right? I put villain on this range: 66-22,54s,43s, which is quite pessimistic, and we have a 20,36% equity, so we can call.
    • BogdanPS
      Hi jawoftheox

Good job with the homework.

Re: AJcc

On top of that you have implied odds (the chance to get paid off if you hit your hidden draw) so that makes it an easy call (not raise).