slo playing "trapping"

• racenutalways
      I'd like to touch base on "slow playing".

IMO, slow playing is dangerous, unless you flop quads or a Broadway on a dry board, but when you flop a set or better, especially on a wet board, you're doing two things.
      1- you're giving your opponents a chance to catch up, or worse, beat you.
      2- you're minimizing your winnings, not maximizing them

Slo playing a set for example, is as dumb a move as bluffing a donkey. Let's say you have 6c-6d and you call min-raise from late position, flop comes 9h-6h-4s, everyone checks to you, you check?? What the heck are you thinking?

You raise preflop with those 6s from small blind trying to steal, BB calls and you flop your 6, you slo play?
      You afraid of your opponent folding? Making your opponents fold is how pots are won. I am blessed on how much money I saved from these slo players who think they are deceiving you, when they could have gotten me to pay them off. Tight players will fold on a min-bet, they will call when they have something, they will raise when they have a strong hand. Why slo-play?
      Loose players will call you down with A hi for crying out loud, why slo-play?

2/3 - Pot sized bets to the river is always a good way to maximize your winnings, I think, am I wrong?

All comments and advice appreciated

CYA at the tables
  • 9 replies
    • Hlynkinn
      I'll maybe slow play 1 out of 10k hands...
      It's most likely really dumb unless you hit nuts against a aggressive maniac...

and with my TAG style.. it just lookes tricky if I would raise preflop and then check on the flop... It would just look trappy...
    • Ben2m2
      I used to slowplay alot because i was worried somewhere deep down that in all the games where i got the nuts or aces/kings preflop everyone else would fold to my raise (used to play too tight aswell:)

But after playing alot more and some solid advice from good pokerfriends i hardly ever slowplay anymore, only when i feel there are alot of really bad players on my table or if ive gotten crappy hands for a long stretch so people think im way too tight.

Wouldnt say i do it 1 out of 10k times as hlynkinn does, but i use it very rarely aswell
    • NRGBlaze
      Well I slowplay a lot and I can tell you the advantages
      lets say you take the same example, but you're out of position
      after you check you have still players to act and they might have flopped something or try to bluff/semi-bluff just because nobody raised and they are in position
      or you play against an aggressive player that raises a lot
      or you have the nuts and no card that comes cannot beat you (rare case)

It depends on your style - if you don't feel comfortable playing like that - then don't
    • alejandrosh
      i almost never slowplay, i need to have a very specific reason to do it, i think last time was when i raised with JJ flop comes JJx ... slowplayed payed of when the river came an Ace and i could double my stack (sss)

one funny hand i had was in omaha, i had TTxx the other guy 99xx , flop 99x , everyone checks, turn comes a ten i bet pot with my nut FH he only calls with quads, river ten .... he bets small , i raise pot, he reraises (then i knew it was a quads over quads ... tought beat there, but i think these is one of the only hands to slowplay, he could have easily stacked me if i don't hit the one outer.

i think it's only profitable to do with fullhouse or quads and you want the villian to catch up a little ( you have AA flop comes As4s4c ) , never with sets, straights, flushes , 2 pair or hands like that
    • p0kerQT
      The only time I'll slowplay is if I have pure nuts, like flopping quads, especially if theres 3 of them on the board.

Slowplaying sets is stupid imo, ur just allowing weaker hands on a draw to catch somethin.

When I first started playin poker I would slow play trips but its pointless, u want to build the pot while u have the best hand so u can push all in on the river.
    • straddler71
      Sometimes you can give your opponent a free card to catch up a little. Lets say the flop comes out a rainbow flop with no flush or straight draw possible on the turn. Things won't work out that way most of the time so you usually have to bet the flop.

Had a hand today where my opponent slow played. Think 5 or 6 players in a limped pot, I was in bb with 77. Queen high flop with opponent flopping two pair. Instead of betting his two pair he checked in position. Turn came a 7. Immediately bet 2/3 of pot, got reraised, reraised him back, he called. Pushed him all in on the river and got his stack.
    • p0kerQT
      heres a good example of why you shouldn't slow play :D

Full Tilt Poker, $10 + $1 NL Hold'em Sit n' Go, 300/600 Blinds, 4 Players - Hand History Converter

SB: 2,330
      Hero (BB): 6,055
      UTG: 4,710
      BTN: 13,905

Pre-Flop: (900) 3:heart: 5:diamond: dealt to Hero (BB)
      2 folds, SB calls 300, Hero checks

Flop: (1,200) T:spade: A:diamond: 2:club: (2 Players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: (1,200) 4:diamond: (2 Players)
      SB bets 600, Hero calls 600

River: (2,400) 9:heart: (2 Players)
      SB bets 1,130 and is All-In, Hero calls 1,130

Results: 4,660 Pot
      SB showed A:spade: A:heart: (three of a kind, Aces) and LOST (-2,330 NET)
      Hero showed 3:heart: 5:diamond: (a straight, Five high) and WON 4,660 (+2,330 NET)
    • Dragar
      Yeah I slow played a 2 pair in a 10$ sit and go.... made a min bet on the turn.... guy gets back street nuts flush on the river, and I go all in and loose... feel so dumb for doing this haha.

But then again I just beat a K set by semi-bluffing it all the way till the river. River gives me my straight :)

So to add on to slowplaying:

If someone is making small bets (less then 1/2 or half the pot size) into you when you already have trips, he is probably drawing.. so raise him.
    • alejandrosh
      yep, do not slowplay unless you are friend of the dealer and get the one outer :D

Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.60 by

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9:club: , A:heart:
      UTG+1 calls $0,25, 3 folds, MP3 calls $0,25, 3 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0,85) 9:diamond: , 9:heart: , Q:club: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0,60, UTG+1 calls $0,60, MP3 folds.

Turn: ($2,05) K:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1,20, UTG+1 calls $1,20.

River: ($4,45) A:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $2,95 (All-In), UTG+1 calls $2,95.

Final Pot: $10,35

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a full-house, nines full of aces (9c Ah)
      UTG+1 shows a full-house, aces full of nines (Ad As)

UTG+1 wins with a full-house, aces full of nines (Ad As)