plo BRM

• CZECHSHARK
      CZECHSHARK
      Bronze
      Hey guys, i wanna hear your opinion or experience, what brm should I hold in PLO cash game.
      I wanna start PLO10 with $200, that's 20bis.
      I think it's not bad, but with higher stakes i would hold stricter brm. thx
  • 10 replies
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Hey CZECHSHARK,

PLO is a very swingy game so the variance is huge and it's advised that you play with a BRM of 50BI's.

Check out our Omaha Artciles on BRM Here

We also have an Omaha board if you wish to discuss Omaha further :) Or I can move this thread there if you'd like.
    • acerbikas
      acerbikas
      Bronze
      I actually think that PLO's stakes vs bankroll correspond to a reverse exponential curve, meaning the lesser the stakes, the bigger the total buyins necessary. This allows you to move down accordingly when you get a huge swing (expect them aplenty).
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      BRM should follow a direct exponential curve - more BI for bigger stakes - because they're tougher and attainable winrates are smaller. 20-30 BI are somewhat fine for PLO10 (for someone with a successful track record in another form of poker) as it's very soft, and especially because it's easy to replenish the roll fast at a part-time job if bust. 100-150 BI are necessary only for such braindead a regfish as me :f_biggrin: For PLO100, already 80-100 BI are needed even for a decent player who goes full-time pro.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      You played much PLO before? those stakes are so soft and much moniez are waiting to be won but swings are huge id start with a minimum of 30 BI's and a lot more if you have little-no experience

Good luck
    • GrimTheCat
      GrimTheCat
      Bronze
      plo10-npl50 - 50 bi
      plo100+ 100bi or more
    • Joenaes
      Joenaes
      Black
      I play PLO high stakes and I still stick with 25-30 BI for shot taking. I think the biggest mistake you can make is stay too low for too long. If you find a fishy table on a higher limit and you have that amount of BIs, just take shot and know when to play lower again.
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      A huge +1 to Joenaes. In fact it's great to select games from 2-3 limits on a regular basis, which is known as This_Passing's theorem (named by me after the 2+2 PLO reg who discovered it; maybe it's folklore, though).

Also, investments other than BI's have to be considered. E.g. with €350 in disposable cash (I really doubt that the entire net worth of any Western European aged at least 18, which is to be considered the bankroll imo, is that small), one has a choice among:

1) playing PLO$10 with 48-BI BRM;
      2) spending €150 on private coaching and playing PLO$10 with 27-BI BRM;
      3) playing PLO$25/€20 with 18-BI BRM.

It seems to me that 2) > 3) > 1) (given that, surprisingly, PLO€20 is not that tougher if tables are selected properly) but it's really close and, as far as I know OP, he likes option 2) the most, going for the long term :f_smile:

Being a money nit stems from skill inconfidence, if you look at his posting history, he was going to play HU HT even this month, but it probably didn't go well again and he's hesitant which game to choose. So I guess those 20 BI are not even the last money he's willing to risk, they're just a shortterm stoploss which is enough to test the waters and get to know which game clicks with him the most.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by tonypmm
      Being a money nit stems from skill inconfidence ...
      I believe you are quite correct there.

There are two issues:
        The actual skill level
        The player's confidence.

I am squarely in this category. I have the money, but neither the skill nor the confidence to play as high as my BR allows.

So the best I can do is to work on improving both.

All the best,
      --VS
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Originally posted by tonypmm
      Being a money nit stems from skill inconfidence ...
      I believe you are quite correct there.

There are two issues:
        The actual skill level
        The player's confidence.

I am squarely in this category. I have the money, but neither the skill nor the confidence to play as high as my BR allows.

So the best I can do is to work on improving both.

All the best,
      --VS
      Right, I'm in absolutely the same category as you :( I was lucky enough to play lower than the 'normal BRM' would recommend before I realised where I stand skillwise in the player pool, that saved my guts.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      So, tonypmm ---
      We agree we're both fish :f_cry:

Best wishes for 2014,
      --VS