Thinking of calling it a day

• Craigsy633
      Craigsy633
      Bronze
      After a good start more than doubling my bank roll by finishing 9th in a MTT freeroll. Then adding 40% to my initial £50 by playing cash 2/4 Microstakes. I considered myself as competent, then started playing more hands aggressively and after initially doing well it has all gone wrong.

I fold when I should raise, raise/push when I am drawing dead and feel like I can't make the right decisions any more. I think I may have read too many books and my basic game has become confused with all the information.

Really considering that my brain isn't wired up correctly for this game.
  • 6 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi Craigsy633,

I'll move this to Learning To Win forum for you where I have no doubt you will get many helpful replies from our super community!

I do understand what you're saying though, I have been through it a few times, not being the sharpest player ever.
      What I do when I get like that is take a step or two backwards and keep things very very simple. Fear not that you are then perhaps playing a lot tighter, they will pay you anyway at these limits!

It does sound like you need to learn about ranges and hand reading a bit more though, but I am no expert so it's just a suggestion.

Let's hear a few more informed ideas from our members please!

Good luck,

Mal.
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      hey Craigsy633

I recommend reading Jared Tendlar's mental game of poker if you can get your hands on it, particularly the section on 'the inchworm'. I would like to give you a brief rundown but i don't think i'll be able to do it justice. Basically it sounds like you need to work on solidifying the concepts that you already know so they're at an automatic level (unconscious competence) so that you don't need the thinking part of your brain to access that information. Well worth the read

regards,
      Luke
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      2x
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      ye I think the pokerstrategy intro for beginners got overly complicated - a friend started and there was stuff about ranges even and he got confused.

I started with "play super tight the end" guide and stuck with it for a while, then started adding new concepts.

Imo just pick up a very tight preflop starting hand chart and just focus on that for a while. as long as you bet good hands strong and fold weak hands you should win money at 0.02cent level (which I'd recommend for a beginner). dont read anything new, just post your hands and ask guys for feedback
    • Craigsy633
      Craigsy633
      Bronze
      Actually half way through Jared's book and I need to pick it up again.

I just had a solid session actually and feel like I have re-focused. Just tightened up OOP, bet strong when I hit and folded when someone got a little overly ambitious (even when I thought I was probably ahead, it just was a hefty price to pay).

I think I recently experienced "variance". I knew it would come but wasn't actually prepared as well as I thought..I ran 2 full houses into quads recently and a lot of sardines kept on calling 2/3rd pot size bets and hitting on the river (it happened about 8 times in as many days).

Having so much bad luck influenced my game and subconsciously I think I felt that the cards were against me (yep I know its daft). I started to fold every hand and when I did bet it was far too small. This obviously started to wipe what money I had and the spiral continued.

I feel like I have faced my demons in tonight's session but I am taking a short break from the game and I am going to do the PokerStrategy quizzes a few times.

Planning on coming back stronger clearer thinking and aiming to crack this limit (which is actually a lot harder than I thought).

Cheers chaps and happy 2014 :]
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Hey Craigsy633

Planning on coming back stronger clearer thinking and aiming to crack this limit (which is actually a lot harder than I thought).

Good man!

good luck with your endeavours. Yeah i found that tightening up from UTG (and even MP) helped me a lot since i wasn't getting into so many marginal spots. And yeah man variance sucks but it's the reason that poker is so popular and the reason fish play so we need it