kk lost to 82

• acerd1975
      acerd1975
      Bronze
      i just had kk bet 820 4 callers, flop 6,8,10 bet 3200, 2folds then raised all in called and opponent had 82 2dropped straight away on turn and cant remember the river someone help me why would anyone raise all in with 82 and why does the software allow this to happen please dont say variance i played my way to 3rd place playing for over an hour pretty well i might add and then get donked like this what did i do wrong
  • 11 replies
    • aikira
      aikira
      Bronze
      it is variance and it wont be the last time this happened and even more brutal with your opponent only having 2 outs sometimes even 1 out only.

try to accept this fact and work on your game and mental game will get you way further then crack your head over a bad beat.

also the hand is not very good described but in a 5 way pot with only an overpair you might want to slow down a little.
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by acerd1975
      i just had kk bet 820 4 callers, flop 6,8,10 bet 3200, 2folds then raised all in called and opponent had 82 2dropped straight away on turn and cant remember the river someone help me why would anyone raise all in with 82 and why does the software allow this to happen please dont say variance i played my way to 3rd place playing for over an hour pretty well i might add and then get donked like this what did i do wrong
      What did you do wrong? Nothing at all, actually. You got your money in as a big favorite to win the hand, and that's really all you can do in poker. (aikira is right, though. In general, you have to be careful with a mere overpair in a 5-way pot.)

Why does the software allow this to happen? Well, you had a chance of roughly 80% to win the hand, so you win in about 4 out of 5 cases. This one was simply the dreaded fifth case in which you lose the hand, it's as simple as that.
      You can try rolling a 6-sided die and see how often the six shows up. The chance of rolling a six is actually lower than the winning chances of your opponent in this example, but every now and then, it WILL happen.

Why would anyone raise all-in with 82? Hard to tell. If you were playing an MTT and all of you were deep-stacked, maybe he was trying to push you out of the pot (theoretically, you can do that with any two cards). Maybe he was 100% certain you were bluffing. Or maybe he also had a flushdraw, so his chance of winning was slightly better.
      Most likely of all, though, he was simply a bad player who made a terrible move that made no sense and simply got lucky. Trust me, you will see this scenario A LOT during your poker career.
      The good news is that if you keep getting in situations like this, you WILL win most of the time, no matter what happens in single scenarios like this one.

Playing against bad players can be extremely frustrating in the short run, but it is definitely profitable in the long run.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Thanks guys!
    • acerd1975
      acerd1975
      Bronze
      thx for the advice guys he had no flush draw and seeing as he didnt reraise pre flop i assumed he didnt have pockets so must be bluffing dont understand why he called a raise in the first place maybe raise was too small 50/100 blinds. just a maniac i guess need to work on mental game
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      rigged
    • jablonskis
      jablonskis
      Bronze
      yeah, i had quite big tournament strangely lost. called allin from LAG with 99 and then another guy called with 88. the LAG guy showed 54. two pair it is...
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by acerd1975
      thx for the advice guys he had no flush draw and seeing as he didnt reraise pre flop i assumed he didnt have pockets so must be bluffing dont understand why he called a raise in the first place maybe raise was too small 50/100 blinds. just a maniac i guess need to work on mental game
      It is important to know that not everyone wants to make the best/good plays. Some people just consider poker gambling. In a live pub game a while ago I heard a player saying how his strategy was based around the fact that any 2 cards can make the winning hand. While this is almost definitely gonna make him a losing player, this is how a lot of recreational players think; see a flop, you might hit something. This time with 82, he did :f_biggrin:
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Thanks everyone! It's soo important to have people to fall back to in times of struggle.

Don't worry acerd1875 this happens to all of us. But because of this we all still play poker. I once heard a coach say this: "Would you like poker to have no variance? Congratz you are now a losing player. If there wasn't variance why would fish still play against you? Because they'd keep losing." Fish need this variance to keep playing.

Anyway take a look at this thread, just to show you you're not the only one: Bad beat of the day.

Gl at the tables!

RasTweet
    • htghguuh
      htghguuh
      Silver
      its hard to beat someone who dosnt know poker,frustrating as well? :f_eek:
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by htghguuh
      its hard to beat someone who dosnt know poker,frustrating as well? :f_eek:
      The ones that don't know what they're doing can sometimes be the hardest players to beat!
    • yYPianhaYy
      yYPianhaYy
      Basic
      thats the game of poker. but the good thing is the more you play the more you gonna like to see those calls on the flop. but once in a while a bad beat hits and thats when you have to stay focused and show that youre a better player than the average recreational player.
      and never forget to review your plays to improve your game