How I got into poker, and hello :)

• bnapalm
      bnapalm
      Bronze
      Hello everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself and tell you how I got into poker.

I am 20 (21 in less than 2 weeks), from Latvia, and have been playing poker on-off for almost a year. Yet only now do I start employing strategy and bankroll management.

I got into poker about a year ago, when a local TV channel started showing "Nordic Poker King" tournaments. I found it so interesting that I was watching it nearly every day, until my girlfriend said to me "why are you watching it all the time? are you going to start playing poker yourself?". At that moment I decided that I should give it a try.

I registered on the poker site advertised by the tournaments I was watching and made a really small deposit, like $10 or $20. It went so-so - winning a bit on limit games, losing the same or a bit more on tournaments. Of course, I did not employ any strategy or bankroll management, besides gut feeling :)

So, about a week later I found a website which would give a starting-capital for playing poker (not this one, but I won't mention the name to avoid any advertising, besides, the tips there aren't too good). So I got a 30 euro starting capital, and some tips for playing/bankroll management, none of which I employed in my game, because I got lucky. So, in 3-4 nights, playing only limit holdem tables, and not multitabling, the 30 euros had grown into 170 euros - it's hard to take any advice about "good play" when you are hitting quad aces with A4 offsuite starting hand ;) (I'm a student and 170 euros is a lot of money for me)
      Even though I was overwhelmed with false thoughts "wow, i'm a natural, i always win", I kept myself sane enough to belive that it is possibly just luck. So I withdrew my money, leaving just 30 euros, which I couldn't withdraw. And good thing I did - I started to lose. In no time I was down to 10 euros and back to the micro tables, where I should have been all along.

So, seeing that I can not yet play poker, I did not want to invest my own money, so I found another site which would give me $50 starting capital. I did read some strategy tips, but not a lot. I stuck to the small limit hold'em and was going up, but very slowly, so I was getting impatient. So in the end I said "ah, whatever - it's not my money" and moved to no-limit tables way out of my league. I was winning-losing-winning-losing, but in the end, of course, I lost it all.

So now I started to look for another site to get another starting capital at a different site, and found pokerstrategy.com.
      I'm so glad that I had to read the basic lessons and take the quiz before I could get the starting capital. I got a lot of valuable knowledge from it, and am now only playing according to the strategy, and following my bankroll.

So, why am I writing this quite useless information? Because I am now determined to play poker properly and not let my emotions make me just gamble. And I believe it will be much easier for me to do so, if I made this determination public. I believe that I can control myself and make decisions that are profitable in the long run instead of making decisions which could be very profitable in the short-term but are more likely to fail.

Thank you for reading :)
  • 2 replies
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hey bnapalm and welcome :)

Your story sounds very familiar as a lot of players that do not have a real strategy or bankroll management skitter between winning and losing. We consider our $50 an investment and do our best to help our players become winning poker players and I hope you take advantage of all we have to offers. Coachings, hand evaluations, videos, articles - you pretty much have everything you could want in terms of tools here - all you need to do is use them :)

Hope to see you around - and feel free to also a start a blog in our blog section http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1435

:)

Good luck at the tables!
      SoyCD
    • bnapalm
      bnapalm
      Bronze
      Thanks, SoyCD!
      I like poker and, thankfully, I got lucky the first time - if I had just lost that first time, I would probably have given up poker for good.

But now, as I said, I will try my best - I am already reviewing my played hands, looking for mistakes, especially those that I lost on, and I have noticed that when I spot a mistake, I also spot the similar situations in future hands much better, and do not make the same mistake.
      Right now, almost the only mistakes I make are due to miscalculation and stuff like that, for example, miscounting my position as MP1 when I am actually 1 position earlier, or betting and not noticing that I am betting more than 1/2 of my stack (I'm playing SSS).

One quick question - with how many hands should I expect more or less accurate results? I'm currently down 19 blinds and $9 after 1.8k hands..