What to expect using sng stratagies

• Noname81
      Noname81
      Gold
      Hi there. I fairly new to the game of poker. I has a question in regards to the sng Strategy found in the strategy section. My question is if I follow the sng beginners strategy guide should I expect to win a few bucks or do I need to have other tool incorporated into my game plan before can turn a profit. I dont want to overload myself with to much at once.

Thanks
  • 12 replies
    • jawoftheox
      jawoftheox
      Bronze
      After reading basic and bronze sections of Poker Basics and SNG, I think you should be perfectly fine. Watch some videos, though. I play cash games and these two sections + videos was enough to be a winning player at NL2, NL5
    • Noname81
      Noname81
      Gold
      Ok thanks.
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      the contents can only help you to a certain degree.

Experience is key IMO and the more you play the better you'll become.

Don't forget to analyze and review too :f_biggrin:
    • Noname81
      Noname81
      Gold
      I think experience is probably the number one thing. Practice makes perfect.

I want to play poker the proper way if there is such a thing. Start out with the correct fundamental and build my experience off that.I dont want to learn any bad habit at this point. Gain experience the proper way .
    • mktpppr
      mktpppr
      Silver
      from my personal experience:

get a solid math-based background in poker first (note I said POKER, not SIT N GOES, there's a difference)

I recommend The Math of Holdem by Collin Moshman and Douglas Zare

then play a few formats before you decide which one you're going to have a real go at

(even though I started out in SNG's, I recommend starting in cash)

then watch as many videos as possible, this will be your primary source of education

continually study, review, analyse and work away from the tables to improve, participate in hand evaluation forums, attend free coachings

about SNG's: if you only read ps.com articles you'll be a micro breakeven or small loser at best, if you happen to crush your first 1k games, its just variance, so don't get excited
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Also, I'd highly recommend downloading the ICM Trainer (it's in the Poker Tools section, and it's completely free). It is a great tool for practicing the all important late game. Keep in mind, though, that some sites like e.g. Pokerstars prohibit you from using this software while your client is running.

And don't be discouraged if you face a lot of swings early on, the variance is pretty high in SNG's.
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Noname81
      I want to play poker the proper way if there is such a thing. Start out with the correct fundamental and build my experience off that.I dont want to learn any bad habit at this point.
      I would suggest learning to play poker, and play well, before you learn how to bluff.

There is an art to bluffing and it is far better learnt, and easier practiced, from the perspective of knowing the game than from not knowing the game.

Too many players start off trying to bluff and because they only have a very basic understanding of the game they make too many mistakes - from whence comes the cry of "how could you call me with Q high?" - the usual answer is because the bluff was so obvious to anyone who understands the game.

Most of all - have fun!
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Waw thanks guys :f_love:
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Look at all these replys! You guys are on the ball this year :P

Some great advice already, I can't agree more with maythany here:

Originally posted by maythany
      Experience is key IMO and the more you play the better you'll become.
      The best way to learn is to do it first hand, don't try to overload yourself with too much information at once and take it in baby steps until you fully understand what's going on.

Read the Basic Articles and then have a few shots in some Micro SnG's, get a feel for the game and what's going on. This way you'll start asking yourself questions such as "Why does he keep betting in that spot?", "Why am I never getting called?" & "Am I raising enough/too little?". Then you can look for these specific parts in your game to improve, and continue like this.

One of the best ways to learn in my opinion is to watch a video of a coach playing Such as this one but this is the way I learn best, maybe it's the same for you.

Also I see you're basic, do you know about our Free Bankroll ? This will give you some free $'s to play and learn with, it will also give you Bronze Status which unlocks a whole new world of material to check out :)

If you need any kind of help, be sure to give us a shout too!
    • Noname81
      Noname81
      Gold
      I have been playing some sng and have a some luck as of now. I'm following this strategies sheet religiously. I am trying to teach myself good habits. I dont want to start playing hands because I have a good feeling. I want to play hands because it is the proper profitable decision.

I have read some info on the Icm. I found it very confusing but thing I understand the key concepts. Is there a Icm calculator that runs live with the sng or is it more of a tool to hone my skills?
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey Noname81

I don't think software that runs live with you is allowed. Not 100% sure about that though.

We do have a tool to "hone your skills". Check out our ICM Trainer!

GL at the tables

RasTweet
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Some great posts in here!

Thank you guys and happy new year!