[CGSH] Grind, Learn, Crush on .FR

• rolls33
      Hi everybody and happy New Year.

I'm a French player. I've chosen to create a blog on the english community to improve two things which I need to (english and poker) at the same time. So per advance sorry for the poor level of language and the mistakes.

I'm 24 years old and I actually live in Finland to finish my study. I play cash game NLSH since few years, but I've not been really serious in my progression. I've readen some articles, buy books, watch videos but I think I've been too lazy to work and learn hard and even more applied all the things I've learnt. But I've nearly finished my study so I will have more time to work and I will not have any excuse to not improve efficiently my poker.

I've grind until NL30 and rise a BK of 1500e but after a bad run of few months, I've decided to stop during 4 months but it's 2014 now and my new resolution it's to take pleasure to play and not play like a robot. I will go back in NL5 with 100e of BK and see if I'm still able to crush this limit on Pokerstars.fr, share as much as I can and learn all the thing to become a good player and maybe rebuild a good bankroll and stop being a fish.

I will do my best to update and interact as much as possible.
  • 8 replies
      The very best of luck rolls33!

How are you progressing so far?
    • Lazza61
      Hey rolls33,

Welcome to the EN blogs :)

You would be surprised just how many non English speakers start blogs here to not only improve their poker but also their English skills.

When I first started playing poker, I didn't take it seriously either. One day I decided to take it seriously and that was the day I found this site and I'm still here. :coolface:

Look forward to hearing more

• rolls33
      Thank you.

@HollyMichelle: For the moment I've readen a lot of article of the french community, watch dozen of video on pokerstrategy.fr, share hands and read the last books of Harrington about cash game online. But I've never been efficient so now I have two objectives and that will, I hope, allow me to progress by working with the english contents (article, videos, quizz). I will try to find all the thing which could be useful for my progression.

@Lazza61: Yes I think it also a good thing and a second way to be more motivate, because know I will have one way to progress on poker but also to express myself in english, so I don't have any excuse I have to be post and work the most as I can.

I just make two sessions, nothing really special for the moment, just the variance which don't want to let me since few month but I will make a SR after one week of grind and keep working with the english contents and videos and try to post some summaries and keypoints.
    • rolls33
      Some news about my process, nothing really amazing, yeah it's NL5. But I've still some leaks that I've erased but it seems that the break have made them reappear.

I'm not so happy about my game but I haven't played as much as I would but it's still the beginning. I will post some hands and post some of the basics strategy that I will study again. It's french content but poker is poker so no matter the language :D .

I will try to do these before the end of the week end because I've a lot of thing so I will do my best.

Sorry if for the moment I'm not so active but I will do my best after have taken a routine in my job and my work.

• rolls33
      I still grind the NL5 I've decreased the number of played table because and want to be focus as much as possible because if I want to progress I need to be focus even at these limits. So tomorrow I will make my SR and try to post some review hands.

For the moment I work the basics with one french ebooks and I will put my summary here for me and if you can criticise it would be great.

Avoid self-satisfaction, sometimes you have won some money with a wrong decision and even if you are better than some other player you always need to work and progress.

Take into account the little pot lost and the regular decision in small pot.

Engagement theory:

Stop being focalize on the money you put in the pot. Thinking how much you have invested in the pot and forget your hand it’s not as good as you think.

Think about objective facts and take the optimum decision and not think about how much you have put with your monster during 2 streets and be raise at the turn or at the river. But villain has the same problem so it could be a leak that could be exploited.

The important value of the position:

What is the advantage of the position?

Remove to our opponent the possibility to close a bid run.
      o Play in position allow you to gain more when you won and lose less when you lost the hand

Vilain OOP c/c on the flop this move gives a lot of information.
      o Most of the time the first betting rounds give not so much information, if we raise and be calling by villain. Vilain will usually check the flop because whatever he had, he will check most of the time because he knows that we will we Cbet. And it’s the same if we call a raise and villain Cbet OOP, we know that this will occur frequently.
      o You will have information when the game sequence is going to be more precise. The most common it’s when you open and that villain c/c the flop. Why ? Because c/c on a drawy board it’s nearly sure that he has a medium hand. Why because if he had a strong hand like a set or a TPTK with a drawy board, it’s common that the player will raise you to protect his hand. And also because he doesn’t have the position, so he can’t close each rounds so, it’s more difficult for him to bluff or catch value by checking.
      So when villain check/call a board, it’s usually a medium hand which with he doesn’t want to put too much money in it and preferring wait an amelioration of his hand.

If you found this it will be a good way to put some bluff like 2 or 3 barrel if the board doesn’t hit the range of villain. But don’t plan a bluff if you are opponent are bad by being too passive and calling station. Try this if villain fold too often.
      You need to favor a bet on a high card and not a brick, you’re move need to be coherent because villain will not believe you if you bet on a card which doesn’t change anything.

Odds and outs:

I prefer using the equity than the odds and outs. Like if the pot is 10e and villain bet 10e, I need to call 10e to win 20e, so a odds of 1:2 but in fact if I would have the equity I just need to do 1: (1+2) = 0,33. So I need more than 33% to have a EV+ call.
      To have a simple way when villain bet the pot, we need 33% of equity, if he bet half a pot 25%. After it’s just to see if he bet closer than the pot, in this case you need 30-31% and if he bet at the middle 26-27%. It’s not so much precise but in these cases you will not have to be focus on the odds or even to calculate the exact equity.
      But how to find the equity of your hand ?
      Count your outs and after it’s depend if you want your equity for the next street or your equity at the showdown.

Equity for each street = (2 * nb outs)+2
      Equity = (4*nb outs)

Implied odds:

So if we follow these rules it will be difficult to win money by calling a bet when we have a draw. And fortunately it’s just because these rules are for the explicit odds. There is another rules very useful to win money, it’s the implied odds. I’m not used to make some calculation and I’ve always follow my feeling by knowing that if villain bets ¾ pot 8 outs are ok to call. But with this books and some research I’ve tried to find a mathematical solution. In fact, I have two of them maybe not as practical as I thought but still ok.

One of them is like this:

Pot is 10e, you have a OESD so 8 outs. Vilain bet 8e in the pot, normally you don’t have the odds to call because you need nearly 30% of equity and you have just 2*8+2 = 18%. But with the implied odds you can because if you know that when you will hit your straight villain will bet or c/c, you will improve your odds.
      So how knowing your necessary equity to call ? I do like this I know that villain bet little more than ¾ of the pot. The pot is 18e, I need to call 8e so the pot will be 26 and we can imagine that villain will bet again ¾ pot so 20e. So if I call 8e, I could take a 46e pot on the turn. 8/46 it’s like 17% which is inferior than 18% so the call is ok. So you can do the same if villain bet less turn or more flop and see that all change so you need to study every scenario. For example if he bet just 10e instead of 20e you will have a pot of 36e, and 8/36 give more than 18% so it’s not a good call.
      Ok I have to admit this is pretty a mess but I think it’s one way to take into account the implied odds.

I have also another way maybe more useful if you use not like me the odds. Take a scenario like this:

opponent bets $10 in to a $10 pot and we have a flush draw so 9 out. 9 outs it’s like 4,2:1 and the pot odds is 2:1 so like before we can’t call normally. But as we’ve seen we can imagine recover some money if we hit our flush. So how to know if we can call ? We need to know how much we will get back when we hit and that work like this:

hand odds – pot odds = 2,2:1

We just have to multiply 2,2 by the bet here 10e and we have 22e it’s the money that we need to recover. In this case depending on villain but I think most of the time with a pot of 30e you will see a bet or a call of 2/3 of the pot.

But try to be careful with the inverse implied odds and also if you search an evident draw.
    • rolls33
      Some hands in analysis

Ok so I've posted some hands in analysis and if you want to give your opinion even if there are already analyze, it's could be great :) .

99 Multiway

KK 3way board A

Flush final board monocolor

QQ board drawy
    • rolls33
      Report of the week

So this week, it's not the best of my path but it's also because I haven't played since a long time. I've decided also to change my manner to play, I've always played 6 tables or more when I rebuild a BK. One of my big leaks it's that I'm not so focus and I play like a robot and this is due to my multitabling session.

So from now I will played only two tables in NL5 even if normally I'm supposed to crush this limit, it will the opportunity to work my game by being more focus on the stats and my and villain game.

This is my curve not so good but I will improve that:

• rolls33
      It seems that my blog is not so attractive and I know that I don't share a lot of my session, but I don't want to give you everyday a review of my game because I'm scared that it would be annoying. But I will do my best to share with you some strange/bad hand to discuss and continue to give you some summaries about video/article that i've read if someone is interested.

These are some summaries of video translate in french in the FR community. It's a very good serie and I hope you will enjoy it like me.

Vidéo summary :

Let's play Short Handed 1/6

Summary :
      [SPOILER] Règle d’or :
      • Play focus
      • Don’t play to be Break even because i twill be worth if you try to take back you’re money.
      • Stop tilt (it’s exactly for me)
      • BRM

PF errors will have an impact post flop so be carefull to don’t put yourself in a wrong situation because you want to fix your mistake.

PF Game :

• Depend on your adversaries ( LAG, TAG, CS, Maniac )
      • Play tight in SB because you’re OOP. You CAN’T make an open by completing RAISE.
      • Complete in SB with speculative hand if you’ve odds.
      • OR range in BB looser vs SB

Raise sizing : 4BB+1BB / limper ( blindposter ) (can be adapted)[/SPOILER]

Let's play Short Handed 2/6

Summary :

What do to vs a raise :

Each raise need to be analyzed specifically and individually. It’s more interesting to take the 3B vs coldcall for having the initiative and even more when you have the position.

• Stats VPIP/PFR
      • Position
      • Stack size
      • Don’t forget the player behind you,
      • Our image at the table ( Play with it if you can by playing loose or tight in function of you’re image at the table )

AA/KK 3bet/AI

AK/QQ 3bet/ AI vs aggressive player or raise in late position.

JJ/TT/Autres PP : against EP or Tight call-15
      3bet against à others ( I prefer 3B these hand in some condtion like high PFR and fold to CB...)
      This kind of move is very appropriate in BB vs SB because you will play in position post flop.

Post flop action consequences :

Play aggressively in big pot or small because we miss a lot of the flop so it’s necessary to donkbet and to contibet to take the pot directly because our aggressiveness will represent good hands.

Cbet :

Objectif : Take the pot directly if we haven’t taken the pot

Parameters :
      • Flop texture: dry with broadway
      • Number of opponent: Less there is the better your chance to succeed
      • Opponent : have a look on his fold to Cbet, WTS, raise to Cbet. Then we could profitable cbet in bluff.
      • Position : IP/OOP.
      • Stack size : Be carreful with Cbet against small stack which go broke frequently and it will be difficult to call.

Cbet sizing : Depending on the different paramaters above ;

Let's play Short Handed 3/6

Summary :

Jeu sur Flop :

Cbet after a 3bet :

Necessary wether its for value 3bet or 3bet bluff
The pot is already big, draw are less frequent so a Cbet don’t need to be high (1/2pot is ok) because it will still be scary.

Donkbet :

Reads and notes are a good way to counter donkbet because they always come back on same particular spot.

Ex :
  • Donk TPTK push against a raise.
  • Donk/fold A hight.
  • Donk with draw.
  • Donk with monster.
  • Donk with PP.

Don’t hesitate to raise the donkbet and adjust after if we have TP or with two OC against loose opponents.

Value Bet = Change your sizing, try to not be previsible.

Not raise pot : you will be OOP but the range of the opponent is frequently bad so the first to lead the pot will most of the time take the pot