This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL10 AK, big stack for SSS

• bnapalm
      bnapalm
      Bronze
      Hello!
      So, I had just doubled up, so I decided to wait for my turn to post BB, playing very tightly, and then leave the table.. And then, this happens:

Known players:
      SB:
      $10,80
      BB:
      $2,04
      UTG+1:
      $11,10
      UTG+2:
      $5,27
      Hero:
      $3,61
      MP2:
      $11,41
      MP3:
      $7,80
      CO:
      $5,78
      BU:
      $9,70

0,05/0,1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.60 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A:club: , K:heart:
      UTG+1 raises to $0,40, UTG+2 folds, Hero raises to $1,20, 6 folds, UTG+1 calls $0,80.

Flop: ($2,55) J:spade: , K:diamond: , A:diamond: (2 players)
      UTG+1 bets $2,55, Hero raises to $2,41 (All-In).

Turn: ($7,51) 9:club:
      River: ($7,51) 9:heart:

Final Pot: $7,51

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows two pairs, aces and kings (Ac Kh)
      UTG+1 shows a full-house, jacks full of nines (Jd Jh)

UTG+1 wins with a full-house, jacks full of nines (Jd Jh)

I am pretty sure I played it correctly at the flop, however, should I have even played this hand in the first place? I had 36BB stack, but AK is quite a strong hand.. What hands do you play when you are over 25BB and waiting for BB to leave the table? I am pretty sure that, other than that, I played this hand correctly, since I hit 2 pair.. Your thoughts?
  • 3 replies
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Always sucks when it happens, you know, wishing you had those cards on another table instead. Anyway, with AK I open raise and fold to a raise in front. I would be especially cautious if a big stack+ UTG+1 player raises.
      I reraise with AA KK only.

Not sure what's "correct", but that's how I do it. I feel it is at least profitable for me because I'm more likely to tilt if I get sucked out like that when I have a double stack :P

And you couldn't have played that hand any other way after the flop really.
    • bnapalm
      bnapalm
      Bronze
      Thank you.
      Sometimes I think it would be better to leave the table as soon as I double up, but I can't - I could be losing valuable monster packet cards, for which I have already paid with my previous SB/BB..

Actually, in this case, I didn't notice that this was on the table I had a double stack on (had 5 or 6 tables open) - I just saw AK, one raise, and re-raised.. But when I later looked at this hand, I realized, that I would have probably have played it like that anyway..
    • ysessa
      ysessa
      Basic
      HI bnapalm,

I think your view is to result oriented, but against an utg raise I would fold my AKo with double stack. Its safer and he has to Raise at least TT+,AJs+,AQo+ to get it break even and most regs dont raise this much.