[NL2-NL10] NL10 AK, big stack for SSS

• bnapalm
      bnapalm
      Bronze
      Hello!
      So, I had just doubled up, so I decided to wait for my turn to post BB, playing very tightly, and then leave the table.. And then, this happens:

Known players:
      SB:
      $10,80
      BB:
      $2,04
      UTG+1:
      $11,10
      UTG+2:
      $5,27
      Hero:
      $3,61
      MP2:
      $11,41
      MP3:
      $7,80
      CO:
      $5,78
      BU:
      $9,70

0,05/0,1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.60 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A:club: , K:heart:
      UTG+1 raises to $0,40, UTG+2 folds, Hero raises to $1,20, 6 folds, UTG+1 calls $0,80.

Flop: ($2,55) J:spade: , K:diamond: , A:diamond: (2 players)
      UTG+1 bets $2,55, Hero raises to $2,41 (All-In).

Turn: ($7,51) 9:club:
      River: ($7,51) 9:heart:

Final Pot: $7,51

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows two pairs, aces and kings (Ac Kh)
      UTG+1 shows a full-house, jacks full of nines (Jd Jh)

UTG+1 wins with a full-house, jacks full of nines (Jd Jh)

I am pretty sure I played it correctly at the flop, however, should I have even played this hand in the first place? I had 36BB stack, but AK is quite a strong hand.. What hands do you play when you are over 25BB and waiting for BB to leave the table? I am pretty sure that, other than that, I played this hand correctly, since I hit 2 pair.. Your thoughts?
  • 3 replies
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Always sucks when it happens, you know, wishing you had those cards on another table instead. Anyway, with AK I open raise and fold to a raise in front. I would be especially cautious if a big stack+ UTG+1 player raises.
      I reraise with AA KK only.

Not sure what's "correct", but that's how I do it. I feel it is at least profitable for me because I'm more likely to tilt if I get sucked out like that when I have a double stack :P

And you couldn't have played that hand any other way after the flop really.
    • bnapalm
      bnapalm
      Bronze
      Thank you.
      Sometimes I think it would be better to leave the table as soon as I double up, but I can't - I could be losing valuable monster packet cards, for which I have already paid with my previous SB/BB..

Actually, in this case, I didn't notice that this was on the table I had a double stack on (had 5 or 6 tables open) - I just saw AK, one raise, and re-raised.. But when I later looked at this hand, I realized, that I would have probably have played it like that anyway..
    • ysessa
      ysessa
      Basic
      HI bnapalm,

I think your view is to result oriented, but against an utg raise I would fold my AKo with double stack. Its safer and he has to Raise at least TT+,AJs+,AQo+ to get it break even and most regs dont raise this much.