Big pots, best hand..... keep losing

• RGLFC1
      RGLFC1
      Bronze
      Ive been doing really well on titan quickly building my bankroll over the last week from £28 (or whatever the original 50 converts to) to £75, i went upto £95 but had a bad session last night falling back to £70 (and that incuded the £10/20 bonus i got). Ive been playing really well today played a 2 hour session, 4 tables and should have finished $$45 up (would have been made up for a two hour stint). Anyway I lost my bankroll on one table after a horrendous bad beat. This always seems to be the case for me, I'm doing well, but the big pots where ive got my money in way ahead I lose. I know there's variance and its poker blah blah blah, but i would swap winning a lot of small pots for these crucial hands to hold up. I want to know does anyone else have the same thing happen to them on Titan? 1/2 outters killing me on the river costing me at least one huge pot a day.

This is the hand today. NL20 1 limper MP2, im in MP3 with TT i raise to 4+1 big blinds as is reccomened, BB calls, limper calls. Flop is Kc Tc 8s. BB checks, MP2 raises half pot, i call, BB reraise, MP2 is all in (he had about £6 in total) , i go all in over the top (had about $14 in total) BB calls. MP2 KsQh BB 8h8c. Turn and river are both clubs to give BB the flush.
      (sorry for not potsing it right)

I had AA twice and KK twice busted last night which is why it was a bad session. 3 were all in pre flop, other one on the flop when the guy had pocket 4's he hit straight runner runner. Also had AK A on flop trapped the guy and we both have our money in on the turn, he has AQ. Q on the river. Ive had plenty other bad beats as well but these are hands where ive commited all my money at the table to the pot and they continually lose. The promising thing is i still finished $10 up for the session today, just a wee bit annoying.
  • 11 replies
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      Shit happens and after rain is always sun :D

We all know how you fell and we know it sucks big time :(

Just play right(tight) and with a bit more luck you'll be back on track ;)
    • RGLFC1
      RGLFC1
      Bronze
      aye i know pal, i am playing well, I'm also managing to create these pots in the first place (with the best hand) which is a nice knack to have. I'm blowing off some steam more than anything else!! lol Is there a bad beat thread to just go and rant at donks?? Maybe something for the mods to add, a steam blower thread!!!
    • Rowkilla
      Rowkilla
      Bronze
      one way to not have such big pots is to leave the table when you have reached a certain ammount, I believe on SSS its when you have 50% profit. That way you never have enormous pots.
    • JayRichh1
      JayRichh1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Rowkilla
      one way to not have such big pots is to leave the table when you have reached a certain ammount, I believe on SSS its when you have 50% profit. That way you never have enormous pots.
      25% Profit. And I know exactly what you mean bro. Nothing worse then playing a MTT or SNG or a cash game perfectlyyy and having a horrible call or a bad beat wreck ya. I know it all to well. That's just poker, just remember for every bad beat leads to a suckout back your way. I know it is hard to believe variance at times and what not and I never really cared. But my advice to anyone having a hard time adjusting to bad beats and such: Every time you have a bad beat or you suck out write it down, do this for a bout a week, and see the results. Rounders put it best when Mike said most people can't remember how they built their roll but they can remember with quite accuracy how they lost it. By that I mean most people only notice the bad beats and never their own suckouts. So give that a try and hope it helps.

Cheers,

Jamie
    • duvel666
      duvel666
      Gold
      shit happens man,

just don't let it get to you,
      everyone will go through those phases one day or another....
      and only loosing 1 big pot a day isn't that bad....

happens multiple times a day to me....
      also AA,KK,AK loosing to donks calling you with 5-7 unsuited and hitting a straight or 2 pairs after you were all in pre-flop...

all part of the game....

it's a bummer to loose those pots at that time...
      but be gratefull (even if loosing the pots) that there are donks like that playing...
      these guys are the ones providing the $$ for us in the long run....

I had a 3 day "downswing" last week... loosing half of my bankroll which was pretty nice at that moment....
      just kept playing tight and right..
      luck will come back, bad luck will dissappear....
      1 week later i have my old bankroll back and still going up ....

ups and downs are part of the game, especially with SSS....
      don't get discouraged.. just keep playing as you should and you'll get back in the race....
    • RGLFC1
      RGLFC1
      Bronze
      cheers for the comments fella's

quote:
      Originally posted by Rowkilla

I know what your saying, I dont exactly follow the SSS or BSS. I sit down at 4 NL20 tables with $10 each (this way I dont lose too much on one table but it also enhances my EV with big hands). Sort of a MSS lol. Everyone at Titan seems to be playing either BSS or SSS, so I think its a natural progression to adapt to both these strategies. From what Ive read on each strategy they are both near identical except SSS is more about chucking your chips in pre flop when you have the best of it. BSS requires a more articulate aproach by carefully negotiaitng each betting round. But both require careful hand selection, playing tight aggressive (I play a bit more like Hellmuth's super tight aggressive, very rarely less than AQ). The only difference is I can play small pocket pairs profitably, which you cannot with the SSS unless you manage to limp in, which from many positions is very dangerous. And imo SMPKt's are the most profitable hands in poker.

I play each till I double up to $20 or for a specific amount of time (I usually do two or three hours that ive decided beforehand) or I just come away when its tilt o' clock, like I did yday, just finished each table when the blind got round to me because I knew I wouldnt be able to play at my best after that. Its been a very successful strategy for me, I usually double up or more on one, $15-20 on another, around level on one and then down $5-10 on last one. So I usually finish $10-15 up for the session.

Sorry for another long post, ty if you actually read it :)
    • Semesa
      Semesa
      Bronze
      playing NL20 with $120... if you are playing anything but SSS then you are outside BRM.
    • RGLFC1
      RGLFC1
      Bronze
      Semesa

playing NL20 with $120... if you are playing anything but SSS then you are outside BRM.

Agreed, I do think BRM is very important, especially for beginners, but I dont think its partucarly bad playing with $10. I have over $120, but using that as the example I am playing with 8% of my BR per table, its not horredndous. If I have a bad run I would be moving down levels without a doubt, similarly if I get to a stage where I can move up levels and do the same with 8% of my BR I will. Anyway, can we not focus on that please :)
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RGLFC1
      Semesa

Agreed, I do think BRM is very important, especially for beginners, but I dont think its partucarly bad playing with $10. I have over $120, but using that as the example I am playing with 8% of my BR per table, its not horredndous. If I have a bad run I would be moving down levels without a doubt, similarly if I get to a stage where I can move up levels and do the same with 8% of my BR I will. Anyway, can we not focus on that please :)
      Thats where you are leaking. You are not playing according to BRM, hence every bad beat makes you tilt.
      You opening this topic proves that it is affecting you when it shouldnt.
    • Agiz19
      Agiz19
      Bronze
      All I can say is WELCOME TO TITAN POKER
    • RGLFC1
      RGLFC1
      Bronze
      ok thanks for the replies fella's. All I can say is that it wasnt anything to do with me tilting because of bad BRM, i think my BRM is fine. It was however just another wicked piece of variance, which once over, I pushed on through.

Im now around the £400 mark (about $600-650) and playing NL50 with $25 starting on each table. Ive kept climbing and climbing till yday evening when I had everything go wrong in the space of ten minutes. 10-15 hands in those ten minutes I had bad beats, lost flips and ran into monsters which all together cost me about £100 (yes i was nearer £500). I'm not gonna blame it on anything this time though, I know its just variance and I know my turn will come sooner or later. I did however tilt quite a bit towards the end of the ten minute bad period yesterday, I even said to a guy "here, have my chips" before calling him with nothing. I defo need to work on my self discipline a bit to cut this out completely.

It's ironic that Ive woke up and seen this thread again today after my bad period last night.