Poker fun vs money making (BSS vs SSS)

• Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Ok have been wondering this for a longer time now.

Are SSS players having fun while playing poker? I stopped playing SSS because it was just so boring. Yes its profitable.. but oh so boring + it doesn't really teach you what poker is all about.

Are there acctually sss players who are having fun grinding 6 tables a day? The bad beats are just crazy when they happen.

BSS involves a lot more risk, but its a lot more fun..
      and learning sss first (don't even know what there is to learn, since its pretty mechanic) and then bss is hard.

I started BSS and invested money to learn it. So right now am getting more and more confident in it. Whenever I discover a mistake where I loose money, I just shrug it off as the payment I made to discover the mistake, like the other day I found a bigger one.... lost 21$ (still profitable for that day and overall though) to it since I made it twice haha (odds of it happening are really low since it involved a back door flush against me, but yeah anyways I know how to play some hands better now).

When sss players loose what do they learn?? Nothing I think unless they are really new.
      I don't understand why it is beeing played anymore. I think some pro discovered it, used it and was profitable since noone knew what he was doing. Now like every new player uses it. The tables are full with them. This is not very profitable anymore. Don't you guys get bored of it?

Not trying to diss here, just curious why people play sss.
  • 11 replies
    • teslasecretweapon
      teslasecretweapon
      Bronze
      First of all, SSS is much easier. For instance you can be a decent winning player on NL50 with just basic, one-day-to-learn, SSS, but for playing BSS NL50 and be a winner in a long term you have to be a prety solid player, knowing little bit more than just basics of BSS poker, becouse of BSS complexity.

If you play good TAG BSS you wont play much more hands than when you play advanced SSS, you will play almost the same in early position, prety similar in middle position too. You will get some more action, but also you will have more dificult decisions post flop. To ilustrate this I advice you to check some coaching reviews by xarry2, NL SSS advanced coach- you will see that SSS is not realy that simple as you think.

It is true that there are many shortstacks in lower limits, but on higher limits, like NL200+ you will rarely find more than 2 SSS players on the same table becouse you will almost always face full stacked oponents (and most of them will be prety good and you have to be really good player to have an edge on them).

Concerning profits, BSS could be more profitable in theory imo, but to have an edge over the same oponents you have to invest much more time/money when playing BSS than SSS- you need much much less time to become winning player on higher limits with SSS.

Playing SSS from lowest limits to NL100, NL200, you will see a lot of hands ,sharks and fishes, TAGs, LAGs- diferent players and styles- simply you will learn basics of poker with minimum loses and you will be experienced enough to start your BSS carier if you want.

Also, many people dont wont to invest their own money, and you cant play NL10 BSS without 200$ as a beginer.

So to conclude- I play SSS becouse: its easier- almost all crucial decisions are made preflop, you can be winning player on decent limits as a newbie,you dont play really much less hands than TAG BSS, there are still many aspects of strategy where I can improve, I need less money to play the same limit.

P.S. Statement that BSS= fun is prety questionable, though between making money and fun I will always chose making money :D
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Alright... I play BSS NL10 with 120$. Started out with 10$ (not all was made from BSS, I also frequently play SnG and MTT)
      I usually play on 2 tables.
      I am considerin to switching to a higher limit soon. Yes I know that this is really bad BRM.. but I need to get to higher limits quickly to make more decent amounts.. if I get beat there i know I wasn't good enough yet.

And I don't play TAG. That table image gives me too little calls.
      Works out alright, since if they fold to my contiunation bets I make money. If they call me since they figured out what I am doing (not a lot of players at low limits do, they seem to think I always hit something) and then I can fold... but that looses me less then I gain.

I like post-flop decisions since it makes me think... I do play poker to make money.. but I just can't get myself to grind sss. Especially on a laptop where i can open 5 tables max, 4 tables if they don't overlap.

I just somehow want to be engaged when I play poker.. sss is pretty straight forward at my limits. SnG too, but atleast the payout is nicer and I get to make more decisions.
    • Snodreliss
      Snodreliss
      Silver
      Well first of all, ALLWAYS follow BRM.

And you wan't to have fun and play "real" poker. Then you should start only playing SnG's and not cashgames before you reach 200$. I'n SnG's you have the same play as in cashgames.

Read all the SnG articles and watch some movies and start to grind ;)
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      please stick to brm , always, but always stick to it ( i actually have a very very conservative BRM , i'm thinking about leave the 6.5 sit&go with a $300 br on fulltilt and 360 on stars ) also i don't want to move up to nl 50 with just 30 stacks to play sss.

in my opinion holdem fullring is boring, very very boring, so i eather play what's more profitable for my lack of skill (sss) or play sit&go mtt or play omaha SH (again, i won't because of my small bankroll)

and of course razz :P
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      Originally posted by alejandrosh

OK, so I am enjoying reading this post until I get to the end, then I saw the word RAZZ and almost puked on my keyboard :D
    • MarcoRuggeri
      MarcoRuggeri
      Black
      hi, i think that SSS is still profitable. i'm playing since about a month SSS sh, started with nl25 on ftp moved to nl50 in some days, still grindind it. i've played 30k hands on nl25 2.34 bb/100 / 0.57 EVbb/100 and 130k nl50 -0.40 bb/100 +041 EVbb/100 but i'm still +$ with rakeback. i know i'm not playing really well and i could play better, so i guess 1.0-1.5bb/100 won't be a hard goal. i started multitabling 8 tables atm multitabling 16. about the fun i agree with you, it's really boring, but it's still more fun than any casual job and much more profitable :) . By the way i think that after reached a decent limits and some money i'll move to BSS ;) .
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by davidangel
      Originally posted by alejandrosh

OK, so I am enjoying reading this post until I get to the end, then I saw the word RAZZ and almost puked on my keyboard :D
      i knew you would say that :D , that's why i wrote it
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dragar
      I am considerin to switching to a higher limit soon. Yes I know that this is really bad BRM.. but I need to get to higher limits quickly to make more decent amounts.. if I get beat there i know I wasn't good enough yet.
      Have fun losing your money :) 120 dollars is a BRM for NL10 SSS, not BSS :p
    • armo
      armo
      Bronze
      Even though SSS is pretty boring, it gave me the discipline and aggression I lacked. So before ps I full stack with stats like 35/5 :P , then get to ps, at the begining grinded SSS and now playing a bit nitty tag 13/11. So SSS is good for you! :)
    • fostie
      fostie
      Bronze
      SSS requires more theoretical knowledge and is hard to really improve in at start

BSS actually has a bigger profit ratio, as long as you play it right
    • xxbchxx
      xxbchxx
      Bronze
      I agree sss can be boring but it is only a tool to enable you to play bss, one step at a time, get the basics right and you will achieve greatness...lol
      I play sss but switch to bss when im in a SnG and my stack entitles me to.