playing suited connectors, suited aces, and suited broadway hands

• Michael2345
      Michael2345
      Basic
      Hi, I've noticed when watching the coaching vids for low stakes 1 table sit n gos that the coaches do not play the types of hands mentioned in the title of this post even when in late position after limpers. I know that you don't want to lose chips in the early phase however is there not an argument to be made for playing these hands since you can often win a very big pot with these hands? Thanks in advance for the help.
  • 12 replies
    • dragan2171
      dragan2171
      Silver
      nice noticed,
      they don;t want you win big pots and sng,
      so they can keep coaching you how (not) to win , and couse you don;t win you need more coaching..and they earn more money.

there can be and others explanations...

:pokerface:
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Michael2345,

I like to do it myself, but you really need to be closing the action. This is because SnG players are very liberal in employing squeeze plays from late position.

This can leave you in a difficult spot, having to decide whether to call the squeeze and risk being shoved over by one of the limpers who has a potential monster.

Collin Moshman advocates only playing QQ+, AK and sometimes AQ in the early stages of a SNG, because you're aim is to get to the bubble phase with as many chips as you can.

Hope this helps

Laz
    • dragan2171
      dragan2171
      Silver
      Originally posted by dragan2171

like this lazza 've just posted :)
    • benaars
      benaars
      Gold
      Hey Michael2345,

Personally I like to play these type of hands in my games. It is generally because I am usually playing with at least 2-3 fishes at the table who like to limp most of their hands and suited connectors, suited aces and broadways are somewhat dominating their ranges so I can profitably limp these hands behind or even isolate if I see some reg in the blinds who might raise it up. It is all just a matter of opponents you are against IMO. If the table is full of regs then it might be better to wait for later phases and avoid playing these hands because you might be dominated yourself if playing these hands.
      Hope this helps,
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      Hey!

Generally speaking, playing these hands after limpers can often be profitable. Beginner coaching videos usually don't suggest it tho (as I haven't suggested it when having a beginner coaching) for a simple reason: you can easily screw up. If you are new to SnGs (or even poker) then it's best to get first things first. This is relatively low priority.

If I am on the BU I tend to raise this hands instead of limping behind after one limper (the later his position, the weaker his range, the more hands I raise). From the CO I have a tighter range, but still raise one limper (instead of limping behind).

After multiple limpers, limping these hands can be a good idea. You can limp Axs after two limpers. Limping high suited connectors is also OK, and the worse your opponents are (and the more of them are in the hand) the worse speculative hands you can limp. My speculative hand strength: Axs > High suited connectors > middle SC ~= High suited 1-gappers > lower SC (56s-78s) > suited one-gappers > offsuited connectors
      Once again, worse opponents mean you can play more of these.

But remember, you are not going for 1 pair hands, and even 2 pair can be a fold postlop under certain circumstances (which happen on rarer occasion in raised pots).

Hope this helps,
      akrammon
    • Michael2345
      Michael2345
      Basic
      Originally posted by dragan2171
      nice noticed,
      they don;t want you win big pots and sng,
      so they can keep coaching you how (not) to win , and couse you don;t win you need more coaching..and they earn more money.

you're a scrub
    • Michael2345
      Michael2345
      Basic
      Appreciate the actual help.
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Silver
      I only don't get what scrub is? :)
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      A scrub is a guy that thinks he's fly, he's also known as a buster. Always talkin' about what he wants and just sits on his broke ass :coolface:
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Silver
      lol scrubes rule
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze

Sorry about derailing the thread btw :) x
    • reggie123
      reggie123
      Silver
      Just filter this kind of hands in your tracking program and you will find aut how "profitable" they are.