[NL20-NL50] nl25 SH JJ preflop

• matkov
      Villan is 16/12 over 70 hands... I think it's right to fold in this case, yeah he might push AK but I think overall he would only push with JJ+,AKs,AKo and against those I only have 36 equity... Am I correct?

No-Limit Hold'em, $0.00 BB (6 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB ($34.45)
      BB ($12.45)
      Hero (UTG) ($25.25)
      MP ($26.80)
      CO ($25.80)
      Button ($46)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J, J
      Hero raises $0.85, 1 fold, CO raises $3, 3 folds, Hero raises $4.30, CO raises $22.80 (All-In), 1 fold

Total pot: $10.30
      Main pot: $10.30 returned to CO
  • 5 replies
    • Sebra
      That line sucks because:

1) You can 4-bet for value, which might not be a good choice in the first place vs. a nit at NL25, but then when you put in 1/3 of your stack you have to stick to your plan, if you don't this wasn't a good idea to begin with, but maybe...

2) You can 4-bet for value, but fold to a shove because his range is narrowed down. That doesn't work in that case either, because his 3-betting range is already strong and usually he either folds or shoves in this spot and if you think JJ is not good vs. a shove, it's just a bluff. There are some spots and players (AKA whales), who will call 4-bets and where you can extract value with JJ, but he is not that kind of opponent i guess.

3) You can 4-bet bluff, which is again not the best plan with JJ because you already have a good amount of showdown value.

So, my preferable play would be to call his 3-bet and play some poker.
    • matkov
      okay, let's say I call, and the flop brings small cards I dunno 3 4 9 rainbow, and of course he c-bets..what to do against that type of player..I cannot float I'm oop, and would it even be a good idea, if the turn brings another brick?

btw, did u have a bad day sebra :D
    • plaukas
      I'd call the 3bet and call the flop cbet. But I'm just silver :D

EDIT: Hmm.. Actually I'm not sure anymore :P Because he might just 2nd barrel the turn and I don't know what to do then. Maybe reraise a flop cbet would give more information but.... I'd like to hear what Sebra has to say.
    • Kaitz20
      On low card flop I can´t really see a way that I´m going to c/c flop, c/f turn.
      But against nit this is the best line, since he won´t double barrel basically never.
      Against tag/lag I like 4-bet/call line, since often there is overcards on the flop and you end up all-in if you call 3-bet pf.
    • TheBrood
      I dont think your line is that bad against a tight player. By getting him to go allin pf you can basically narrow his hand down to a monster and you didnt have to pay much for the info. This way you dont have to play a marginal hand postflop oop.