what hands do we open UTG FR

• stttNNN
      stttNNN
      Bronze
      Im just wondring what hand range is std to open from UTG. If there is one loose fish or more in postion on me im opening this range.

should I open a bit more loose when the fishes are in the blinds and only tight regulars in poss on me? with like KTs JTs QTs? and what do u guys say about opening like 89s and stuff against fish in blind , atm im not opening like 89s and stuff against fish couse I wanna play with hands that hits top pairs. Is it the std to not open 89s etc etc against loose fish that dont fold to cbets and stuff?
  • 22 replies
    • NightShadePMC
      NightShadePMC
      Bronze
      I think you are opening way too wide UTG for full ring,even against fishes.A good strategy UTG could be:open-raise AA-TT,AK,limp-call 99-22.In my experience,that is very efficient and profitable.Looser than that will most likely lose you money at full ring.
    • cleoclaudiu
      cleoclaudiu
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightShadePMC
      I think you are opening way too wide UTG for full ring,even against fishes.A good strategy UTG could be:open-raise AA-TT,AK,limp-call 99-22.In my experience,that is very efficient and profitable.Looser than that will most likely lose you money at full ring.
      It's profitable for you to limp/call UTG with poket pairs? I'm curious about that, what is your plan postflop with these hands and what other hands do you limp/call with? Also what limits are you playing?
    • JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      77+, ATs+, KQs, AQo+

Please don't limp call when you are only doing it with low pairs, you are basically turning you hand face-up, which is pretty bad whit that kind of hands vs non-droolers
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Yeh limp call 99-22 is pretty bad vs non fish cos you are
      a) playing without initiative
      b) playing a range that is fairly weak compared to the raiser
      c) most likely playing out of position
      d) playing in a way which your range is very obvious and is either a rare set but mostly 2nd pair at best on the vast majority of flops.

I'd look at 22-55, AJo,KQo,ATs,KJs,QJs if you have a good sample size and see if they are profitable hands for you long run. If not you can still open them when there's fish in the blinds but otherwise might be better to just fold them.
    • NightShadePMC
      NightShadePMC
      Bronze
      I'm playing NL10 zoom,winning at 13bb/100 per 30k hands.It's quite efficient there.A good default plan would be to leadout half pot and aim for a call or 3bet from your opponent.What would your plan be for open-raising 99-22 if you get raised(which happens kind of often)?

I'm not saying this is the best option on all limits.
    • cleoclaudiu
      cleoclaudiu
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightShadePMC
      I'm playing NL10 zoom,winning at 13bb/100 per 30k hands.It's quite efficient there.A good default plan would be to leadout half pot and aim for a call or 3bet from your opponent.What would your plan be for open-raising 99-22 if you get raised(which happens kind of often)?

I'm not saying this is the best option on all limits.
      I see. Well, it might be good with a good donkbetting strategy and also with a good balanced limp/call range, you can't limp/call only pokets, even at micro stakes you will be exploitable. So, if you can make a profit doing that its better than folding, or raising just to hit the set.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      well, you are fr utg... that's a looooooooot of guys behind so i think this range is kinda wide regardless, i mean even if you have fish on blinds AJo still is pretty garbage in fr utg.
      just widen up on later positions, against fish and not-so-good regs you can just open whatever you feel like playing and do all sorts of stuff :f_biggrin:

i greatly dislike open limping at anything higher than nl2, but if it's zoom i'd consider "face up" preflop sizings. then you can still see more flops against the fish, while bad regs are too busy randomly clicking buttons to even think about what you might be doing :f_biggrin:
    • NightShadePMC
      NightShadePMC
      Bronze
      What do you mean by face-up pre-flop sizing? Minraising(and i'm assuming you called it that because good players would read it as a small pocket pair)?
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      you got the idea
    • Kony76
      Kony76
      Bronze
      I think that in UTG our range should be a kind of tight, Something like 77+, AQ+.

I don't think good idea to play limp/call the lower PP's, for the reasons already explained. It is better to not play them at all.
    • stttNNN
      stttNNN
      Bronze
      how do I do to look up if im winning money raiseing QJs, AJo, KJs, KQo, ATs, 22-77 UTG in HM2? :f_grin:
    • PokerPPP
      PokerPPP
      Bronze
      I play FR and have no limping range UTG. I raise all in the OP except: 22-55 incl / JQo JQs KJo AJo, so basically 66+ and ATs+ and AQo+
    • angeljgarcia
      angeljgarcia
      Bronze
      depends how good u play post flop..

I open raise from UTG: every broadway suited, every suited connectors, 55+, AQo, AKo ..

In my opinion, the problem with opening just premium is that regulars will notice that and wont pay you off when u raise from there.

:f_p:
    • Hardy5
      Hardy5
      Bronze
      Pretty wide range UTG, would not raise 87s tho . even against a huge fish or calling station. Depends more on your pf skills, OOP I would not play.
    • stttNNN
      stttNNN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PokerPPP
      I play FR and have no limping range UTG. I raise all in the OP except: 22-55 incl / JQo JQs KJo AJo, so basically 66+ and ATs+ and AQo+
      what stakes do u play?
    • stttNNN
      stttNNN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by angeljgarcia
      depends how good u play post flop..

I open raise from UTG: every broadway suited, every suited connectors, 55+, AQo, AKo ..

In my opinion, the problem with opening just premium is that regulars will notice that and wont pay you off when u raise from there.

:f_p:
      +1 , thats what im thinking as well. i think u get alot of respect allso when u open UTG.
    • kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      Depend how good you are on the postflop playing!

As a guy said already, for FR, your range is a bit wide!

22+ if you manage to play postflop good enough to make a positive EV on balance

otherwise, as other said already

AJs+, 77+ and KQs (worth the same said for the 22+)

Hope that's helped! :)

P.S. I will also advice (in case you do not feel to comfortable postflop remember we are FR and we have many players to talk after us and in fact, all the table ... lol) 66+ and definitely 55+

Cya :)
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by stttNNN
      how do I do to look up if im winning money raiseing QJs, AJo, KJs, KQo, ATs, 22-77 UTG in HM2? :f_grin:
      In HM2, click "More Reports"
      Find Preflop, click it, then click "Hand Grouping Holdem" (or something like that)

Then filter as follows:
      clear all filters
      click "More Filters"
      In the Basic Filters section open the "Position and Action" section, and in the Hero's position column, clear everything except early.

Just to make sure I was telling the right info, I just did the same thing.
      V surprising results.
      For example, I'm winning like 700 BB/100 with Big Pairs and AA, but even though I won 72% of hands with "Big A hands", I actually lost 6 BB/100

not a huge sample though.

Cheers,
      --VS
    • PokerPPP
      PokerPPP
      Bronze
      Originally posted by stttNNN
      Originally posted by PokerPPP
      what stakes do u play?
      NL10 & NL25 Zoom FR