Loose games and passive play. Sin?

• Bookie22
      Bookie22
      Bronze
      So basically since I have been using table selection. I have found it extremely easy to find the looses of the loose at 5/10. Instead of loosing up I simply went a bit nitty against advice and limped a lot in position waiting for decent hands that were both highly likely to get called all the way and led to easy decisions post flop.

I know this is not the most profitable strategy and is only relevant at these stakes but is it so bad? My post flop game really struggles in such loose games as I struggle with putting them on a hand. They turn up with anything and this style has been profitable and easy.

I am working on my game as much as time allows. So my big question is. No matter what should I revert to playing more aggressive despite it seemingly being a roller coaster ride?

I don't mind losing money in the short term if that's what it takes as I really want to just improve my game but is it acceptable to play like this in these games whilst changing style in tighter games?
  • 3 replies
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      All styles, except possibly the calling station style, but perhaps including a mildly maniacal style, can be profitable at 5c/Tc provided you play them well postflop.

You are right about variance when playing LAG/TAG. It is higher than for passive play. I suggest you develop your postflop play. This way you reduce your variance and will have very short and small downswings and can play with confidence.

I'd suggest that you move down one notch and keep plying PS TAG until your postflop play is where you want it. Playing in other ways than "PS TAG" is of course perfectly acceptable. What you seem to do now is to go for an exploitative line. The downside is that you are unlikely to develop as a player.

I play 5c/Tc myself for the moment. I have the roll to play at least one notch higher, and probably the game for a couple of notches higher. But I'm working on and experimenting with my game and I don't want to be disturbed by tilt caused by swings, and that works better the lower you play.
    • Bookie22
      Bookie22
      Bronze
      Originally posted by YohanN7
      All styles, except possibly the calling station style, but perhaps including a mildly maniacal style, can be profitable at 5c/Tc provided you play them well postflop.

You are right about variance when playing LAG/TAG. It is higher than for passive play. I suggest you develop your postflop play. This way you reduce your variance and will have very short and small downswings and can play with confidence.

I'd suggest that you move down one notch and keep plying PS TAG until your postflop play is where you want it. Playing in other ways than "PS TAG" is of course perfectly acceptable. What you seem to do now is to go for an exploitative line. The downside is that you are unlikely to develop as a player.

I play 5c/Tc myself for the moment. I have the roll to play at least one notch higher, and probably the game for a couple of notches higher. But I'm working on and experimenting with my game and I don't want to be disturbed by tilt caused by swings, and that works better the lower you play.
      Hi Yohan

Thanks for the great advice and I have taken it onboard. I am rolled for 5/10 and in profit, it really has just been in recent days using table scanner when I have experienced such play as it was never like this on Ipoker. I think I am going for exploitave lines but probably need to get my ABC game well and truely sorted.

For the time being I will stay at 5/10 and in these games but will focus on keeping my aggression up and not worry too much about the swings. If it just isn't working then I will probably look to play in tighter games instead of dropping down but won't ever rule it out.

Thanks
    • Bookie22
      Bookie22
      Bronze
      Ive just finished a good 5 hour session finishing a bit up but it could have a lot better, but iwas just experimenting with playing it a lot more aggro and won't be thinking about being playing nitty again.

I preferred a couple of semi normal players on the table along with the calling stations but I can see this being a lot of fun and a great way to get a few more PS points so I can have silver back. I know its only $9 but it would feel so much sweeter knowing the tight ******* at poker stars were paying for it.

I actually sat next to you briefly today but decided I better not lol. Ive got a 100 hands on you so we have played at some point.