My shopping spree

• Drakhor
      Drakhor
      Bronze
      Within the last few weeks, I went into a real shopping spree and bought tons of books. Most of them are those available in the German PS shop, so I figured if they're good enough for them Krauts, then they can't be bad for everybody else either after all. :D

However, now I have the problem that I don't know where to start. :tongue:

Here's the list of books I have:
      • Harrington on Hold'em: No-Limit Tournaments - Volume 1
      • Harrington on Hold'em: No-Limit Tournaments - Volume 2
      • Harrington on Hold'em: No-Limit Tournaments - Volume 3
      • Harrington on Cash Games - Volume 1
      • Harrington on Cash Games - Volume 2
      • Barry Greenstein - Ace on the River
      • David Sklansky / Ed Miller - No Limit Hold'em - Theory and Practice
      • Miller / Sklansky / Malmuth - Small Stakes Hold'em - Winning big with expert play
      • Sklansky / Malmuth - Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players
      • Flynn / Mehta / Miller - Professional No-Limit Hold'em - Volume One (Where's Volume Two btw? :tongue: )
      • Collin Moshman - Sit 'n Go Strategy
      • Nelson / Streib / Lee - Kill Everyone
      • Rodman / Nelson - Kill Phil (ordered, will arrive in 2 weeks or so I guess)
      • Doyle Brunson - Super System
      • Doyle Brunson - Super System 2

In my "Saved Items" on The Book Depository (yes, another shameless plug!), I also have Phil Gordon's three books (Little Green Book, Little Blue Book, Little Black Book), but I haven't ordered them yet as neither the Little Black Book, nor the Box Set is available again.
      Then I also have Phil Hellmuth's "Play Poker like the Pros" in my list, as well as Gus Hansen's "Every Hand Revealed" and "The Full Tilt Poker Strategy Guide" by... well... Full Tilt. :tongue:

I'm not sure if or when I should get those, especially since I just noticed that the price went up for the last three ones... -_-

So, where to start? :O
  • 17 replies
    • NRGBlaze
      NRGBlaze
      Bronze
      well...
      Harrington def if you're going to play SnGs
      I tried Ace on the River, but there's more biography then poker in it, so I didn't read the whole book
      I like Sklansky/Miller's Theory and Practice, but its a bit hard to read
      I've heard about Brunson's books that are already rather old and you cannot learn much from them
      Seen many bad reviews about Hellmuth's book
      and that's about everything that I can tell you
      hope it helped ;)
    • Welshdai
      Welshdai
      Bronze
      Hi Drakhor
      New to poker myself so can't realy say were to start but i have
      Harrington on Hold'em: No-Limit Tournaments - Volume 1
      Harrington on Hold'em: No-Limit Tournaments - Volume 2
      Harrington on Hold'em: No-Limit Tournaments - Volume 3

and think this is a good place to start. I will say look at the books as an investment and don't just read through the books, take your time and make sure you understand what is being said from 1 chapter to the next. Some books will be better than others but if you learn one thing from every book, that as got to make reading them worth while. Happy reading :P
    • Drakhor
      Drakhor
      Bronze
      I've kicked Phil Hellmuth's book out of my list, and now I wait for the prices of the others to drop again, and for Phil Gordon's "Little Black Book" to finally get a reprint or anything like it. I wonder why it's so hard to find that one anyway, and why those available have such ridiculously high prices. Is it really that good?

Besides, currently I don't have much time either to read books. Besides my dozens of games I received lately, and with Fallout 3, Dead Space, Left 4 Dead and other pearls looming at the horizon, I also have 40+ pages of strategy articles to translate for you guys. I'm done with 66% of the articles, but another 19-page one is still waiting... :O
    • IWantYourChips
      IWantYourChips
      Global
      phil gordon's little black book is worth anything under 30$ ten fold. Its NOT going to be as comprehensive as super system 1/2, skalansky's theory book, or dan harrington's cash game books, however it reads very easily, and has a lot of good tips/ quick lessons in it.

its probably my 3rd or 4th favorite poker book all time. not much NEW imformation, NOT mathmatical or theoretical, just practical. more for tournament players as well.
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      You could of saved a ton of coin and just downloaded these books. :D
    • IWantYourChips
      IWantYourChips
      Global
      that would be illegal, and unfair to the author's who took time out of their lives to share their insight with us
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      :D I'm a thief. :D
      I'll steal your BB.
    • RGLFC1
      RGLFC1
      Bronze
      without a doubt (as already suggested) read the Harrington on hold'em set, they have been invaluable to my game and anyone withinpoker would agree they are by far the best books around.

Also was already said, the Super System books are very dated. Plus Doyle pretty much tells you how to play like a maniac.....If you won the previous hand you have to play the next is pretty much what he advises! lol

Ive heard Gus Hansen's book is a very good read but yet to get round to it myself.

Id say to stay away from the Sklansky books unless you want to go deep into the maths of the game, he is spot on with it, but it will probably bore you to death :)

And I personally would never go near any of Phil Gordons stupid little books...I hate the guy and just do not respect him within the poker world :P (glad I got that one off my chest!)

Oh and Hellmuth's aint tooooo bad if you dont mind comparing players to various species of the animal kingdom (one example, he descibes maniacs as being jackals......just call them maniacs phil its fine)

Is it Phil Hellmuth with a book on reads as well?? more for live play really but Ive been told that one is very good.
    • IWantYourChips
      IWantYourChips
      Global
      anyone who suggests that super system 1 and 2 are a. out dated, b. worthless. c. insignifcant or d. contains BAD poker advice

are a. people who have read them and dont want other people to be profitable after learning what they have. b. stupid. c. naive in the sense they dont know how stupid they are.

if you havent read them, and havent applied the outlying principles, you have cost yourself money as a poker player.

PERIOD
    • Drakhor
      Drakhor
      Bronze
      @IWYC: Sounds like a good book then. Now I only need a reprint! Come on, you printer hobos! :D

@jk88: Actually, I did that before, but there's a major problem: Unless you have a laptop, you can't really take downloaded books with you to the loo, or to bed. :tongue:

@RGLFC1: You probably mean this book I guess? Maybe I'll get it as soon as I won a major tournament online, and thus have enough money to join live tourneys like the EPT. :D

@all: But well, once again I won't have any time to read. After translating 41 pages of strategy articles within a week, I now got the task to translate another 46 pages until Monday as a "thank you"... :rolleyes:

You guys better appreciate it when they get released soon after. :tongue:
    • NRGBlaze
      NRGBlaze
      Bronze
      Drakhor you're a mod now?!?
      OMG! Rigged!!!! :baby:
    • Velak
      Velak
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Drakhor
      I've kicked Phil Hellmuth's book out of my list, and now I wait for the prices of the others to drop again, and for Phil Gordon's "Little Black Book" to finally get a reprint or anything like it. I wonder why it's so hard to find that one anyway, and why those available have such ridiculously high prices. Is it really that good?
      Drakhor,

"Phil Gordon's Little Black book" is easy to find. The thing is, it's just a reprint/rename of his "Poker: the Real Deal" .

If you buy it under that title, it's easy to find. It's ONLY called the "little black book" if you buy it in the box set, which is much more expensive (especially if you already have one or more of the other books)

I have all of his books, as well as the vast majority of the ones on your list.
    • RGLFC1
      RGLFC1
      Bronze
      Yes Drakhor that is the one I mean.

IWYC - cheers for calling me supind and naive....... lol.
      The book isnt that good, it didnt help my game at all. Doyle suggests you play a much looser game than anyone else in the poker community would, and its funny because I've never once seen him play like that on TV. Anyway, I dont want to get into an argument over a difference of opinion. If it has helped your game then fair play, its exactly what you want from a book on poker.

My original point was a suggestion to read the Harrington on Hold'em set because they are the best poker books ever written. (again MY OPINION) So do it!!! :p
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NRGBlaze
      qft!!!!!
    • NRGBlaze
      NRGBlaze
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TribunCaesar
      qft!!!!!
      lol?!? :D
    • Drakhor
      Drakhor
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TribunCaesar
      qft!!!!!
      Me too!!!

Wait...
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RGLFC1
      Ive heard Gus Hansen's book is a very good read but yet to get round to it myself.
      Standalone its a good book, but with media coverage (not on Pokertube atm), its golden because you can combine Gus's reads in a visual way.

Anyone read Power Hold'em of Daniel Negreanu? What is it like? good? bad?