Caltabiano's Journey

• caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      Welcome to my blog, ladies and gentlemen.

(-) About Me

Hello to you all. My real name is Felipe Caltabiano. I'm male, 20, Brazilian, heterosexual, single, not catholic, 1.80m, 68kg, don't think much about politics right now, live with my parents, got 2 brothers (I am the middle one).

I'll start by speaking a bit about my life outside poker.
      I live in Brasilia (that's Brazil's capital... few people know it). It's an interesting city. It could easily be a scenario for one of Kubrick's film.
      I currently study Mathematics in the federal university here. I'm doing my 3rd semester, but I'm not taking it very seriously, becuase I've been busy with other things (poker being one of them). I DO like numbers.
      The other thing that keeps me busy is music. My interest for music grows by the day. I'm learning to play the guitar and I want to take it rather seriously. I play in a rock group, which is influenced by Soul, R&B, 50's, 60's, british invasion and the like... My goal is to play jazz =)
      Hopefully though, I'll manage to make a living out of poker, so I can study music just for the sake of studying music =)

----------------------------------

(-) Poker and Me

My first contact with poker was through a friende when I was about 15 - 16. I was in this party with some mates, and in the end of the party, some people started playing poker. And this friend of mine invited me to join them and taught me the basics. The buy in to the table was R$5,00 (Brazil's money.. it's called reais). I blew it all, rebought and made a profit of R$3 in the new buy in. So I closed my first poker session with a -R$2,00 balance. I wouldn't play poker for another year or two after that.. haha.
      Then, the first drummer of my band started playing it on the internet and also he'd hold regular sessions on his house. I started attending some of them.. it was just fun though. Anyway, this is all boring, I'll jump to two weeks ago.

Two weeks ago: I started taking poker seriously, I want to study it, I want to learn it, I want to become good at it. I started with a bankroll of $180 (I got that with my $50 plus some referrals... I joined pokerstrategy a long time ago, but I never really touched my money, until 2 weeks ago.. haha)
      During these two weeks, I made several mistakes, I had a downswing, I had a streak of good luck... In the end I broke even. However, today I'm starting afresh, I'm doing reular studies and I AM decided to get good in this. So I'm starting from a $180 bankroll, on NL25.

I'll try to make posts here as often as I can. I'll TRY to do one post after every session. It might not be possible however. Well, I'll post as often as I can. On this first post, I'll keep my updated stats.
      What I hope to achieve with this blog is self organisation, feedback from more experienced players, and motivation for other beginners (as I have been motivated by other players' blogs.. Termi8r, Gerv and others.)

Alright, I'm heading out to my session. Wish me wisdom and discipline \o/

STATS - Started on 12/10/2008 (Last updated: 03/11)

-Bankroll: $84,73
      -Playing: 8 tables, NL10 at Party Poker
      -Hands Played: 12232
      -BB/100: -5,13
      -Softwares: Elephant
      -Strategy: SSS
      -Strategy points: 1283
      Articles studied this week:
      Nº of sample hands posted this week:

GOALS

{}Weekly Goals (week reset every Sunday)
      ---> Attend 1 coaching Session (Last week: FAILED)
      ------- Coaching sessions attended (0/1):
      ---> Play 4k hands. (Last week: COMPLETED)
      ------- Hands Played (2885/4000)

{}Short Term

---> Study THOROUGHLY the silver articles. Deadline: 28th of october.
      ---> Study one poker book (any suggestions?). Deadline: 15th of November.
      ---> Achieve gold status. COMPLETED!!
      ------- SP in the past 4 weeks: 845
      ---> Get my Elephant License. COMPLETE!!

{}Mid - Long Term (I'm not putting deadlines on these ones)

---> Move up to NL50
      ---> Move up to NL100
      --->Learn SnG and MTT
      ---> Make a good living out of poker
      ---> Las Vegas ??
  • 25 replies
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      very cool blog. I'm in a similar situation, started studying maths 2 years ago, but not really taking it seriously :)
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Welcome to PokerStrategy, and I will definitly be reading this blog of a Mathematician. As I also have an affinity for numbers, I am not studying Math but what's up with these 'attitude of not taking it seriously =) ?'

Originally posted by Kruppe
      I'm in a similar situation, started studying maths 2 years ago, but not really taking it seriously :)

Originally posted by caltabiano
      but I'm not taking it very seriously, becuase I've been busy with other things

Anyways, you play on PartyPoker and playing SSS there is very duable so I wish you the best and keep is informed!

- Gerv
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      student spirit. being a student isn't really about studying ;)
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kruppe
      student spirit. being a student isn't really about studying ;)
      Hahaha.. exactly so. If there's one thing that students don't do, that's studying... they do all the rest though: get pissed, get laid, get high...

Except we, poker students, of course... we are a serious bunch, aren't we? :rolleyes:

Alright, here we go.

Any similarities to other players' blogs are BUT coincidences

{} Day I

>>> Session I

Today wasn't a very profitable day, financially speaking. However, today was my first day using the Elephant. So I was getting used to it, learning how to read the stats. Although I didn't get money, it was a good learning day.
      Before getting started, I saw the 3rd termi8r Review video to warm up. It's very good, by the way o/

My session seemed to be starting off pretty well when I hit AA's on my second hand. Nothing came out of it though. Everybody folded.... "I'll get more of these" - I thought.

And indeed, I got 3 more:
      2 of them didn't see the flop... the third one got beat by 3 J's. It is of no consequence though.

People weren't very eager to pay for my good hands today, I made a few mistakes (out of stupidity, lack of attention and others), bad luck... All of these made the day unprofitable.
      However, I'll only focus on my mistakes, since they're the only thing under my control. I promise I'll be more attentive on my next session. :evil:

I posted two hands on the forum. I'd appreciate feedback on them =) I'll try to post more and more and more hands.

Here's the graph of the day:

STATS

Session length: 2h30

Hands played: 534

Limit: NL25

Tables: 2 - 4

BR before: $178,37

BR after: $165,41

Profit: -$12,96

BB/100: -9,71

How did I play? (from 2 to A): 5 - 6

Main thing to improve on next session: ATTENTION, ATTENTION, ATTENTION!
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      Good evening, everybody.

Yesterday (wed), I didn't really play, 'cause I wasn't home for most of the day. I had a rehearsal with my band in the morning. And then in the afternoon, I was SUPPOSED to go to Physics class.. but I didn't. It was experimental Physics. One would think it's a fun class, but one would be TERRIBLY wrong.

So, instead, I sat on a bench and started making some calculations.
      I made this PFR% range table, from 1% to 20%. There probably is a table like that somewhere here in pokerstrategy.com, BUT I was a bit anxious to see it, and since I had a bit of a free afternoon, I decided to calculate it myself. Besides, it's good to do these things yourself, cause you get to understand it better, I believe.

Then early at night, I Was supposed to go to my guitar lessons, and indeed I did. BUT, when I got there, I realised the school was closed, cause it was Teacher's Day.. so I didn't have the guitar lesson afterall.

My conclusion in the end of the day: I should've stayed home, studying poker...

After my FAIL afternoon (anyone knows the failblog.org by the way? one of the best sites ever), I went to my older brother's house. I'm introducing him to poker. So we watched a SSS video. One by Leo. Nice video, very basic, but very nice.

When I got home at night, I just went straight to bed, cause my thursdays start early.

My Tuesdays, Thursdays and Friday's start really early. I wake up at 6h30, have breakfast and drive to my university, where I have Calculus and Diferential equations classes... hooray! \o/

After my class, I had lunch with a nice looking lass.

And then back to my house and finally: POKER!

So here we go!

{} Day II

>>> Session II

Today I started off studying the first article of the Silver Section. Very good article, I can see strategy starts getting more and more complex. But that was always expected.
      I could've already out some of the things I learnt in practise in my session.. mainly the thing about how you should adjust a player's PFR% to his position and to his reraises.

I tried seeing a video by undercover.. but somehow this specific video won't load in my computer.

So, I went off to my session.

I must say, I liked my session today. I lost some money again. But I liked it. I tried out new stuff I learnt. I think I overdid it in some situations actually. I guess I dared more than I should've maybe... but I suppose that's normal until you properly calibrate. I'm getting used to the stats, I can read them faster and make better reads of my opponents. I'm learning to steal blinds (I did that quite a lot today =P).

Anyway, although the money didn't come, it WAS good. I was happy with how I played.. of course I still did some stupid things, but the mistakes are coming less often.

I'll post a few hands here:

15mins into the session.. a few hands played, and I get my first playable hand:

HAND I

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $4,75
      BB:
      $6,11
      UTG:
      $5,00
      MP1:
      $23,30
      MP2:
      $5,49
      MP3:
      $24,01
      Hero:
      $4,30
      BU:
      $35,44

0,1/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.60 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q:diamond: , Q:heart:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $1,00, 2 folds, BB raises to $1,75, Hero raises to $4,30 (All-In), BB calls $2,55.

Flop: ($8,70) Q:spade: , 5:spade: , T:diamond:
      Turn: ($8,70) 8:club:
      River: ($8,70) J:spade:

Final Pot: $8,70

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows three of a kind, queens (Qd Qh)
      BB shows a straight, ace high (Kd As)

BB wins with a straight, ace high (Kd As)

On a reraise, I should consider 25% of his PFR%, in order to determine his range. That would narrow it down to something like 4.5. So I put him on JJ+, AQ+, MAYBE KQs.

Afterwards, thinking about it, I suppose I should've folded it. What do you all think? I'm putting thins one in the sample hands forum.

After a bit of playing, I had to go into a new table, cause I had left one of them. I went in and I was in MP3 and they asked me if I wanted to post the BB. I thought about it and almost decided to wait, but then I thought I'd get 6 hands from that BB, so it's not so bad. I payed.. and boy, wasn't I happy when I saw my hand: KK.

HAND II

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $4,52
      BB:
      $46,77
      UTG:
      $5,00
      UTG+1:
      $20,68
      UTG+2:
      $4,65
      MP1:
      $8,24
      MP2:
      $22,88
      Hero:
      $5,00
      CO:
      $5,00
      BU:
      $24,40

0,1/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.60 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K:spade: , K:heart: . Hero posts a blind of $0,25. CO posts a blind of $0,25.
      UTG+1 calls $0,25, 2 folds, MP2 raises to $1,50, Hero raises to $5,00 (All-In), 4 folds, UTG+1 raises to $10,00, MP2 folds.

Flop: ($17,10) 5:spade: , 6:diamond: , Q:diamond:
      Turn: ($17,10) 8:heart:
      River: ($17,10) Q:heart:

Final Pot: $17,10

Hero shows two pairs, kings and queens (Ks Kh)
      UTG+1 shows two pairs, aces and queens (Ah As)

UTG+1 wins with two pairs, aces and queens (Ah As)

Aaaand -20 BB for me...

And theres another hand in which I'm not too sure how I should've acted. First let me tell how it went.
      I had pre-selected check/fold in all the tables. So I took the opportunity to go down to teh kitchen relaly quickly to get me some grapes. So I did it and ran back. As soon as I got here, I saw QQ, 7 sec to act. HOWEVER, my iTunes was changing songs right on that moment, and that makes my computer a bit slow. Therefor I wouldn't have time to do the proper raise. I didnt think twice and pressed call.
      And heres how it went:

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $27,02
      BB:
      $4,90
      UTG:
      $5,00
      UTG+1:
      $24,71
      UTG+2:
      $13,48
      MP1:
      $23,63
      MP2:
      $12,87
      MP3:
      $11,19
      Hero:
      $4,73
      BU:
      $30,31

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q:club: , Q:heart:
      5 folds, Hero calls $0,25, BU raises to $1,50, SB calls $1,40, BB folds, Hero raises to $4,73 (All-In), BU calls $3,23, SB folds.

Flop: ($11,21) Q:spade: , 7:spade: , K:heart:
      Turn: ($11,21) 4:club:
      River: ($11,21) A:spade:

Final Pot: $11,21

Hero shows three of a kind, queens (Qc Qh)
      BU shows two pairs, aces and queens (Qd Ah)

Hero wins with three of a kind, queens (Qc Qh)

I figured BU was quite a loose player, due to his stats, so I thought I could go all in.
      Cause think about it. If he had raised before me, I'd have gone all in, so position doesn't make a difference in this situation.
      If he had reraised after me however, I probably would have folded.

Anyway, this one is going into the sample hands forum.

I'll post the hand samples in the forum still tonight.. so whoever wants to take a look and discuss them, please do.

Here's how my graph of today looks:

So, like I said, I liked the way I played today. I did concentrate a lot more than last time and that made a huge difference.

That's it for today, lads. Be sure to check my sample hands later in the Sample Hands Forum.

Cheers!

STATS

Session length: 3h30

Session Soundtrack - Album (Artist): The Complete Django Reinhardt & QHCFS (Django Reinhardt) / The Small Faces, From the Beginning, Ogden's Nut Gone Flake (The Small Faces)

Hands played: 931

Tables: 3 - 4

BR before: $165,41

BR after: $157,27

Profit: -$8,14 (-32,56 BB)

BB/100: -3,50

How did I play? (from 2 to A): 8

Main thing to improve on next session: Improve my stats reading and be even MORE ATTENTIVE
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Welcome to Poker Strategy and a congratulations on a great blog so far.

I also like your views on studying poker as it will only improve you as a poker player in the long run.

Regards,

The Bulldog
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      {} Day III - 18/10/2008

>>> Session III

Yesterday I woke up early in the morning, eager to play poker. I had the feeling it would be a very good day.
      I started off well when I hit QQ on my 22th hand and doubled up. I thought: "yep.. it'll be a good day indeed"

Half an hour into the game and I lost some 16BB with JJ, but that didn't bother me. I played it right. Then I hit AK and doubled up again. 5 hands afterwards I thi AK again and here I think I made my first mistake.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $16,31
      BB:
      $12,42
      UTG:
      $12,40
      UTG+1:
      $36,76
      UTG+2:
      $4,77
      MP1:
      $4,76
      Hero:
      $4,30
      MP3:
      $25,00
      CO:
      $50,51
      BU:
      $5,00

0,1/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A:club: , K:diamond:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $1,00, 3 folds, SB calls $0,90, BB folds.

Flop: ($2,25) 8:club: , 8:heart: , 7:heart: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1,50, SB raises to $3,30, Hero raises to $3,30 (All-In).

Turn: ($8,85) 4:spade:
      River: ($8,85) 8:diamond:

Final Pot: $8,85

Hero shows three of a kind, eights (Ac Kd)
      SB shows a full-house, eights full of threes (3h 3d)

SB wins with a full-house, eights full of threes (3h 3d)

After I met resistance against my c-bet, I should have folded shouldn't I? I didn't realise it was a mistake at the time.

Next interesting hand I got: AA.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $15,00
      Hero:
      $5,00
      UTG:
      $0,00
      UTG+2:
      $4,65
      MP1:
      $5,82
      MP2:
      $9,92
      MP3:
      $21,90
      CO:
      $25,29
      BU:
      $29,75

0,1/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:spade: , A:club:
      2 folds, MP2 calls $0,25, MP3 folds, CO raises to $0,75, BU folds, SB calls $0,65, Hero raises to $5,00 (All-In), MP2 raises to $9,25, 2 folds.

Flop: ($15,75) 4:spade: , T:spade: , J:club:
      Turn: ($15,75) Q:spade:
      River: ($15,75) T:diamond:

Final Pot: $15,75

Hero shows two pairs, aces and tens (As Ac)
      MP2 shows a full-house, tens full of queens (Qh Th)

MP2 wins with a full-house, tens full of queens (Qh Th)

And that annoyed me I must say.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $4,75
      BB:
      $14,75
      Hero:
      $10,47
      UTG+2:
      $25,11
      MP1:
      $25,60
      MP2:
      $26,69
      MP3:
      $5,15
      CO:
      $8,61
      BU:
      $30,82

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 4:heart: , 6:heart:
      Hero raises to $0,50, 4 folds, CO calls $0,50, BU folds, SB calls $0,40, BB calls $0,25.

Flop: ($2,00) 7:heart: , 5:heart: , A:club: (4 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $0,75, Hero calls $0,75, CO calls $0,75, SB folds.

Turn: ($4,25) 8:club: (3 players)
      BB bets $2,50, Hero raises to $9,22 (All-In), CO folds, BB calls $6,72.

River: ($22,69) A:spade:

Final Pot: $22,69

Hero shows a straight, eight high (4h 6h)
      BB shows a full-house, sevens full of aces (7c 7d)

BB wins with a full-house, sevens full of aces (7c 7d)

This was the saddest hand of the day. I know most of you are wondering why I minraised pre-flop. Well, it was just an accident. I wanted to fold the hand. And also, what am I doing with over 40BB on the table? I was waiting to finish the round to leave the table.
      However, I saw I got a monster draw on the flop. And when I hit it on the turn, I didn't think twice... the result was sad though. Did I play it right?

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $8,67
      BB:
      $5,65
      UTG+1:
      $6,57
      UTG+2:
      $4,05
      MP1:
      $34,77
      MP2:
      $25,00
      MP3:
      $4,67
      CO:
      $12,09
      Hero:
      $5,42

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:spade: , 8:spade:
      2 folds, MP1 calls $0,25, 3 folds, Hero calls $0,25, SB calls $0,15, BB checks.

Flop: ($1,00) A:diamond: , K:spade: , 7:heart: (4 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($1,00) 8:club: (4 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $0,25, MP1 raises to $1,20, Hero raises to $5,17 (All-In), 2 folds, MP1 calls $3,97.

River: ($11,59) K:diamond:

Final Pot: $11,59

Hero shows two pairs, aces and kings (As 8s)
      MP1 shows a full-house, eights full of kings (8d 8h)

MP1 wins with a full-house, eights full of kings (8d 8h)

The full house syndicate must be after me or something.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $25,64
      BB:
      $28,32
      UTG:
      $25,00
      Hero:
      $4,75
      MP2:
      $27,63
      MP3:
      $25,38
      CO:
      $4,65
      BU:
      $28,80

0,1/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9:diamond: , 9:heart:
      Hero raises to $1,00, 5 folds, BB raises to $5,00, Hero raises to $4,75 (All-In).

Flop: ($9,85) 8:club: , T:spade: , 2:spade:
      Turn: ($9,85) 4:club:
      River: ($9,85) T:heart:

Final Pot: $9,85

Hero shows two pairs, tens and nines (9d 9h)
      BB shows two pairs, aces and tens (Ac As)

BB wins with two pairs, aces and tens (Ac As)

Another silly all in... Everybody knows you don't go all in to a reraise with 9's in those conditions.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $20,50
      BB:
      $21,86
      UTG+1:
      $24,97
      UTG+2:
      $4,65
      MP1:
      $4,97
      Hero:
      $5,96
      MP3:
      $16,42
      CO:
      $5,45
      BU:
      $24,40

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K:diamond: , K:club:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $1,00, 3 folds, SB calls $0,90, BB raises to $5,25, Hero raises to $5,96 (All-In), SB folds, BB calls $0,71.

Flop: ($12,92) 2:spade: , 3:club: , Q:spade:
      Turn: ($12,92) 9:club:
      River: ($12,92) 2:club:

Final Pot: $12,92

Hero shows two pairs, kings and deuces (Kd Kc)
      BB shows two pairs, aces and deuces (Ad Ac)

BB wins with two pairs, aces and deuces (Ad Ac)

KK down...

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $20,90
      BB:
      $25,35
      UTG:
      $5,00
      UTG+2:
      $5,75
      Hero:
      $4,65
      MP2:
      $25,90
      MP3:
      $19,75
      CO:
      $37,42
      BU:
      $25,04

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K:spade: , K:club:
      UTG+2 folds, Hero raises to $1,00, 2 folds, CO calls $1,00, BU calls $1,00, 2 folds.

Flop: ($3,35) Q:spade: , 2:heart: , 6:diamond: (3 players)
      Hero bets $1,75, CO calls $1,75, BU folds.

Turn: ($6,85) A:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero raises $1,90 (All-In), CO calls $1,90.

River: ($10,65) 6:club:

Final Pot: $10,65

Hero shows two pairs, kings and sixes (Ks Kc)
      CO shows a full-house, queens full of sixes (Qh Qc)

CO wins with a full-house, queens full of sixes (Qh Qc)

And yet again... ( full house...)

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $4,75
      BB:
      $6,86
      UTG:
      $5,00
      UTG+1:
      $9,65
      UTG+2:
      $26,60
      Hero:
      $4,30
      MP2:
      $4,96
      MP3:
      $20,45
      CO:
      $59,05
      BU:
      $7,57

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A:diamond: , Q:spade:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $1,00, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $1,00, 4 folds.

Flop: ($2,35) T:spade: , T:heart: , 7:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1,50, MP3 raises to $3,00, Hero raises to $3,30 (All-In), MP3 calls $0,30.

Turn: ($8,95) 4:heart:
      River: ($8,95) 6:club:

Final Pot: $8,95

Hero shows a pair of tens (Ad Qs)
      MP3 shows a flush, ten high (2h 9h)

MP3 wins with a flush, ten high (2h 9h)

And another of those silly all in's

I realised I was tilting. So I stopped. I checked my bankroll, and it was down by $34,20...very very ugly.

However, on saturday, my mind was rather troubled with other things, other than poker. And that's not a good moment for playing poker. So after the poker session, I read a book. Siddharha, by Herman Hesse. I had read it when I was younger. And yesterday, I was strangely drawn to it, and I didn't stop reading it until I was done. And after the reading, my mind found peace.

With a quiet mind,I scolded myself badly for tilting. And I decided to take my playing back a bit. Go back to to the basics. Take slower on stats reading and steals and all those more advanced things.

STATS

Session length: 3h30

Hands played: 1174

BR before: $157,27

BR after: 123,07

Profit: -$34,20

BB/100: -11,75

How did I play? (from 2 to A): 3 - 4

Main thing to improve on next session: Calm down, realx, take a breath, go slower

{} Day IV - 19/10/2008

>>> Session IV

Ok.. today. I got my things back together and hooray!! I'm making profit again.

I won't make this post much long, cause I've gotta get going. But check this hand out:

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $29,56
      BB:
      $4,30
      UTG:
      $5,00
      UTG+1:
      $25,00
      Hero:
      $5,10
      MP1:
      $31,17
      MP2:
      $20,19
      MP3:
      $45,99
      CO:
      $31,68
      BU:
      $9,19

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K:spade: , K:club:
      UTG+1 folds, Hero raises to $1,00, MP1 folds, MP2 raises to $1,75, 5 folds, Hero raises to $5,10 (All-In), MP2 calls $3,35.

Flop: ($10,55) J:club: , T:diamond: , A:diamond:
      Turn: ($10,55) Q:club:
      River: ($10,55) 8:diamond:

Final Pot: $10,55

Hero shows a straight, ace high (Ks Kc)
      MP2 shows three of a kind, aces (As Ah)

Hero wins with a straight, ace high (Ks Kc)

Yep.. Fortune smiles at me \o/

I failed my weekly goals... but well. What can I say? I'll try harder this week and I will do it!
      I already saw a coaching today, by Ingol. It was majorly good. I'll definitely attend his next coachings.
      I've been studying psychology articles and the silver section. I've been studying my played hands. I'm pleased with my studies. And I'm confident I'll do good in the game.

Alright, I'll get going for now. Tomorrow I might not be able to play a session. So maybe only on Tuesday.

STATS

Session length: 2h00

Hands played: 611

BR before: $123,07

BR after: 127,81

Profit: $5,24

BB/100: 3,43

How did I play? (from 2 to A): 8 - 9

Main thing to improve on next session:Just keep on walking the line

P.S.: those who are more attentive must have realised that the BR before/after and the profit numbers do not match... well, I'm as puzzled as you.
    • feugs
      feugs
      Bronze
      ow rapaiz baum??
      pq vc naum participa da comunidade em lingua portuguesa?

abrcs
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      Fala rapaz! Putz, eu meio que esqueci que rolava a comunidad de língua portuguesa na real... haha Aí comecei a participar aqui no inglês mesmo.
      Mas vou dar uma visitada lá. Tem muitos brasileiros?
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      {} Day V - 21/10/2008

>>> Session V

Today started off as a regular Tuesday. That means me waking up late for Calculus lesson. Well, off I go to the university. I had Calculus lesson and afterwards, Differential Equations. \o/ I'm gonna suggest to my university a subject called: "Poker Mathematics". That'd be majorly cool! That'd definitely make my course a whole lot more interesting =)

After my classes, I had lunch at a restaurant and came back home.

First thing I did when I got here: downloaded FreePHG (thanks for the tip Gerv!). Opened up a few tables and started mining them. I didn't mine for so long.. maybe an hour or so. (I'm mining them some more now \o/)

After some mining, I started up my session. I was pleased with my playing today, although I closed the day on a negative balance.

I'll post two hands here (they're both also going to the hands sample forum)

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $11,21
      BB:
      $5,00
      UTG:
      $35,46
      Hero:
      $4,66
      MP1:
      $16,06
      MP2:
      $31,50
      MP3:
      $15,25
      CO:
      $14,82
      BU:
      $12,69

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with T:spade: , T:diamond:
      Hero raises to $1,00, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $1,00, 5 folds.

Flop: ($2,35) Q:diamond: , K:diamond: , J:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero raises $3,66 (All-In), MP2 calls $3,66.

Turn: ($9,67) 2:club:
      River: ($9,67) K:heart:

Final Pot: $9,67

Hero shows two pairs, kings and tens (Ts Td)
      MP2 shows two pairs, kings and queens (9d Qh)

MP2 wins with two pairs, kings and queens (9d Qh)

Pre-flop game: OK
      Flop: Well... I THINK I played it correctly. I mean, I had quite a strong draw. Second best flush draw and the OESD. Although I have only the bottom card of it, I figured it's not such a weak straight draw. Cause if the A came out, I'd have the nuts straight, and if the 9 came out I'd only lose to AT. And Villain was rather a loose player, so his range was so big, I figured I was probably ahead.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $0,95
      BB:
      $6,62
      UTG:
      $35,16
      UTG+1:
      $4,80
      UTG+2:
      $4,30
      MP1:
      $18,83
      MP2:
      $4,30
      MP3:
      $25,99
      Hero:
      $7,79
      BU:
      $27,55

Preflop: Hero is CO with K:club: , A:spade:
      UTG folds, UTG+1 raises to $1,00, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls $1,00, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $1,00, Hero raises to $7,79 (All-In), BU folds, SB raises to $0,95 (All-In), BB folds, UTG+1 raises to $4,80 (All-In), MP1 calls $6,79, MP3 folds.

Flop: ($22,58) T:club: , 3:heart: , 5:spade:
      Turn: ($22,58) 2:club:
      River: ($22,58) J:diamond:

Final Pot: $22,58

Hero shows high card ace with king kicker (Kc As)
      SB shows three of a kind, jacks (Js Jc)
      UTG+1 shows high card ace with king kicker (Ks Ah)
      MP1 shows a pair of nines (9s 9c)

SB wins with three of a kind, jacks (Js Jc)

Ok, in this hand, I took all the time I had, to make up my mind wheter to go in it or not. I had JUST completed my stack in the previous hand, so I Was going to blind out and leave the table. But I get AK in the very next hand.
      UTG+1 raises and gets 2 callers. What to do now? At the moment I thought it would be correct to go allin. But I'm not quite sure about it.. I'll post this hand in the sample hands forum to see what kinf of feedback I get

Graphic of the day:

That's it for today.

Peace

STATS

Session length: 2h15

Hands played: 640

BR before: $127,81

BR after: $116,69

Profit: -$10,87

BB/100: -6,79

How did I play? (from 2 to A): 8 - 9

• caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      Hello Gold status!! :D
    • teslasecretweapon
      teslasecretweapon
      Bronze
      Well, first of all congrats to your gold status.

Lest go back to your last, AK hand:

You have more than 25BB, actually 31BB so you should FOLD every hand except KK&AA here;
      You are faced with UTG+1 raise & 2 callers, youre deep (for SSS) and you dont have AA or KK so FOLD;
      UTG+1 raise is probably another SSS (VPP=5, PFR=5, AF=5, 20BB stack) so he is raising AK, JJ+, if you compare his range and your AK in equilator you will see that your equity is 39,6%,
      Now, lets see if your 39,6% equity is good enough- we calculate pot odds:
      there is 1$ raise + 2*1$ callers( we assume it is dead money)+0.35$ (SB+BB)=3,35$, than you raise to 7,79$ and we assume you will get called only from UTG+1 player, thus the entire pot will be bigger when he calls remaining 3,8$- pot will be 14,94$.(-0.45$ rake it would be 14,5$)
      You pay 7.79 to win 14.5-7.79=6.71 your pot odds are 0.86:1 - you will need 53.7% equity to profitably push here and you have only 39.6%
      -so FOLD!

I hope you understood me, sometimes pushing hand wich appear to be very strong could be extremely -EV.
      I advice you to reread all SSS articles starting from basic ones, now that you became gold read all SSS gold articles and I have no doubt to see you raising through limits very quickly.

Good luck
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      Cool! I understood you very well =) Thanks for that post. And I'll definitely take your advice and read everything over again up to gold! \o/
    • feugs
      feugs
      Bronze
      cara tem mto brazuca lah...

se marca tem mais do que tuga...

seu blog ia ser moh bem vindo a comunidade
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      {} Day VI - 23/10/2008

>>> Session VI

Good evening everybody.

Yesterday, I decided not to play poker. Besides having to study for my university tests, there was something else I had to do: study POKER. Following the advice given to me by tesla, I reread all the articles, down from the basic section up to the bronze section. And on this weekend, I'll finish off the silver and start reading the gold.

I realised that I was using an advanced SHC, and I decided to stop using it. I went back to the basics today. I'm seldom trying to make steals. I'm just gathering stats for now, mining loads of tables. And I will gradually advancing my game.

So today, with my mind decided to stick to the basics, I made a session. And hello green numbers!

I think I played well. I folded all those tempting hands. I didn't attempt to steal, unless I was absolutely sure. I played following strict lines.
      And to those who come here expecting another day ending in red, you won't get that today! \o/
      Of course I figure Fortune helped today a little bit...

This for example, probably only happens once every millenium! This millenium I was the chosen one. 3 AK in a row on the SAME table. Calculate the odds of THAT happening!

A couple of hands:

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $16,07
      Hero:
      $4,65
      UTG:
      $25,35
      UTG+1:
      $27,02
      UTG+2:
      $4,65
      MP1:
      $5,95
      MP2:
      $37,98
      MP3:
      $40,57
      CO:
      $25,38
      BU:
      $25,00

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5:diamond: , 4:heart:
      7 folds, SB calls $0,15, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0,50) 3:spade: , 6:heart: , A:heart: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($0,50) 7:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $0,50, Hero calls $0,50.

River: ($1,50) J:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $1,25, Hero raises to $3,90 (All-In), SB folds.

Final Pot: $6,65

Hero shows a straight, seven high (5d 4h)

Hero wins with a straight, seven high (5d 4h)

Nice straight for me. I tried slow playing this one. Since he made a bet on the turn, I figured he'd bet again on the river, trying to buy the pot. \o/

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $4,75
      BB:
      $25,78
      UTG:
      $26,18
      UTG+1:
      $4,76
      UTG+2:
      $5,00
      MP1:
      $14,71
      MP2:
      $4,97
      MP3:
      $34,19
      CO:
      $8,22
      BU:
      $4,96

Preflop: Hero is SB with J:spade: , K:heart: . UTG+2 posts a blind of $0,25.
      2 folds, UTG+2 checks, MP1 calls $0,25, 3 folds, BU calls $0,25, Hero calls $0,15, BB checks.

Flop: ($1,25) 4:diamond: , T:club: , 4:spade: (5 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($1,25) J:heart: (5 players)
      Hero bets $1,00, 2 folds, MP1 calls $1,00, BU folds.

River: ($3,25) 6:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP1 checks.

Final Pot: $3,25

Hero shows two pairs, jacks and fours (Js Kh)
      MP1 shows two pairs, sevens and fours (7s 7d)

Hero wins with two pairs, jacks and fours (Js Kh)

I decided to complete this hand, cause there were many limpers. Everybody was being passive, so I thought it would be alright to bet on my TP. However I was a bit scared to bet again on the river. Maybe I shouldn't have, I'm not sure.

Well, that's it for today. I'll keep on studying my articles, so I'll be playing a bit less than I suually do this weekend. I think I'll make it up to 4k hands though.

Graph of the day (YES IT'S BEAUTIFUL!):

Peace

STATS

Session length: 2h00

Hands played: 452

Tables: 3 - 4

BR before: $116,69

BR after: $134,05

Profit: $17,36

BB/100: 15,36

How did I play? (from 2 to A): 10 - J

• teslasecretweapon
      teslasecretweapon
      Bronze
      Nice progrss, just play basic on these low limits for some time.
      After you read and implement all the basic articles, you can implement one by one those advanced plays. Also, you should go to videos page and watch some lower stakes NL SSS videos, and also attend Ingolpoker's basic coachings and coachings review page.
      Best of luck, and you will end up green more often than you were :D
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      Yeah, I'm doing all that =)

And I got my elephant license today \o/
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by caltabiano
      I realised that I was using an advanced SHC, and I decided to stop using it. I went back to the basics today.
      Im curious where you get that one from ..?

Its a pleasure to read your blog :) !
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      Well, I couldn't remember where I got it from. I had downloaded it a long time ago.
      So I looked for it on the website, but couldn't find it.
      I did however find a link to it in a post by tesla, so here you go:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/download/nl/shc_adv_sss.pdf

In this chart, you are allowed to call sometimes (Even though Ingol is majorly against it... cause limping sucks, eh?! haha :D ) I agree that limping sucks in most cases though ;)

Anyway, I'm not using that chart anymore, since it puts you in some post flop situations that require a bit more of post-flop skill, which I don't yet have. Therefore, like I said in my last post, I'm sticking to the basics \o/.