SnG middle stages (9-max)

• Styr
      I seem to have the most trouble playing the middle stages of (9-max) SnG tournaments.

While the beginning is straightforward, and the late stages are something I usually have no trouble with, I probably have huge leaks in my mid game strategy.

For example, if I have 1200 chips, with 100/50 blinds, and the table is 5-7 handed. How should one play hands like AQs+, TT+ from UTG? Simply raising could get me a nice shove. Shoving myself again is not something I would fancy doing in standard/turbo formats.

Also, what should the range be when shoving over limpers at the middle stages of the tournament?
  • 3 replies
    • alxpoker91
      with that stack UTG I would usually raise and depending on the opponent i will see if it is a raise/call or a raise/fold.sometimes you can just shove too if the opponents after you are loose because they like to call and you don't like to play AQ postflop with 10bb left behind

about what range to shove over limper it depends on the opponents again.if someone is 30/0 it means that he limps his strong hands too so you have to tighter,but if someone in 30/16(witch is a good opp to raise over his limp) you can shove wider.

this are just 2 simple examples because there are other factors like position,stack size ICM tax that have to be considered.

I hope this helped you to make an image at least

• ilari27
      I would never raisefold AQ or TT in that spot. Raisecall if you think there will be lots of light 3bets, or with QQ+ in every case. Shoving I think is very good alternative too and profitable for sure with those hands.

Avoiding raise/folding is important in the middle game in general. With around 13-22bb you should usually consider open folding hands like 66 QJ A7, if there are lots of active players on the table or the situation is such that you are not going to get many free blinds.
    • NightShadePMC
      Collin Moshman once said that the difference between minraising and shoving if you play very good after the minraise is almost 0 EV-wise long-term. Id stick with the shove.