"Atleast I did not loose any of my own money."

• Vargan
      Vargan
      Bronze
      If you go around this forum you will find people who break their BRM and loose hundreds and thousands of dollars. And most of the time, that person says "atleast I didnt loose any of my own money".

Im just curious - what kind of stupid attitude is that towards money?
      Withdrawing a bankroll is like using an ATM.

Pokerstrategy gave you $100-$150. The word 'gave' implies that it is now your money.

When does it become your money?
  • 16 replies
    • Puciek
      Puciek
      Bronze
      This is poor excuse for ppl who fail, "i didn't loose any of my money", well newsflash - you had this money and you could withdraw and spend it. It was yours, no one could took it from you without breaking the law so stop bullshiting yourself.
      It's like if your boss will not pay you, and you instead pushing lawsuit on his ass, you will say "well, at least i didn't loose any of my money"
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      As you said Vargan: it's just stupid (very stupid) attitude... But hey, at least they did not loose YOUR money! ;)

Originally posted by Puciek
      It's like if your boss will not pay you, and you instead pushing lawsuit on his ass, you will say "well, at least i didn't loose any of my money"
      exactly :D
    • pokerst4r
      pokerst4r
      Bronze
      agreed i have played some really stupid hands but dont think at least its not my money, but these are the type of people we feed off so hopefully their is plenty more like them.
      A site like this gives people everything they could possible need to succeed the only thing they cant give us is self discipline.
      regards
      Dave
      AKA Pokerst4r
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      If they didn't lose any of thier own money, what did they lose then? Pride? Some self-esteem? A fiance? A day job? Some hair?
      The human ego hates to be wrong, or seen as a loser, so these statements are a kind of buffer, mainly to avoid the Truth.
    • Velak
      Velak
      Bronze
      I've heard this a lot in my life.

While living in Vegas, it's almost a joke. ALL the time you hear about, or see people make a bunch of money, and then lose it back in any of the multitude of ways there is to do that in 'Lost Wages' (a nickname for Las Vegas)

And very often, those people will say that same, stupid line. Makes me laugh all the time.

Even my mother does it. She'll win thousands playing bingo, or .. slots, or some other no-skill game of chance, then lose some back and say "It's ok, I was playing with their money".

I fold.
    • erptech
      erptech
      Platinum
      Today I lost $130 of "other peoples money" and I feel like shit.
      :evil:
    • Vargan
      Vargan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by erptech
      Today I lost $130 of "other peoples money" and I feel like shit.
      :evil:
      That means you won $130, and its now YOUR money.
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      Fact is, I feel pretty detached from the "real value" of the money on my account, because I never invested a dollar :)

This is a big advantage, I never played with scared money and I rarely tilt after a bad beat :)
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      Originally posted by viewer88
      Fact is, I feel pretty detached from the "real value" of the money on my account, because I never invested a dollar :)

This is a big advantage, I never played with scared money and I rarely tilt after a bad beat :)
      Regardless of whether you invested you "own money" or not, you would do well to remain detached to it. Attachment to outcomes often brings misery. Denial is not detachment, its simply a subtle form of hiding hurt feelings. I am not saying you, or anyone else here is in denial, simply something to watch out for, the human ego is a tricky creature!
    • Puciek
      Puciek
      Bronze
      You didn't invest money, you've invested you TIME, and time got value that you can determine simply by how much you got payed per hour of work. This is money you didn't earn because you've spend it on poker
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Well, there's one good thing about this "I did not lose my own money" thing.

When friends and relatives just want to keep thinking poker is just like gambling, no argument at all can change their minds and they think you're gonna become a compulsive gambler lose everything by playing this game... well, just go ahead and say it... "But I'm not even playing my own money"... it's amazing how they go like... "yeah, you got a point". Discussion over.

Unlike Velak I don't fold... I push... and they fold. ;)
    • spit22
      spit22
      Bronze
      interesting thread ! indeed a lot of people do that. thanks for pointing it out:)

what i do is remind me that i play for the sake of the game. not for the money.. that means i have to play my best just to improve my game, the money is just a bonus :D
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      http://plusev.net/d/20071119.html

I see my Bankroll as a hard-working capital so losing all of would make me go crazy.. seriously.. ;)
    • Frakkk
      Frakkk
      Bronze
      Great thread and topic! Those who justify their losses like this will never advance. I look at my BR as a foundation to learn poker and become a winning player. If I loose some, I make sure I learn from the mistakes and gain experience. On the other hand it makes it much easier to play with free money, but that still no excuse to loose it all.
    • STR82ACE
      STR82ACE
      Bronze
      It's a standard 'sour grapes/sweet lemons' way of thinking. Because they didn't EARN the money themselves, they feel that losing it is someone else's problem and not their own.

I appreciate any monies donated my way, and I ensure it will be put to good use. So if anyone out there doesn't want the free money being offered, simply PM me and we'll get it deposited somewhere where it will be appreciated ;)
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Puciek
      You didn't invest money, you've invested you TIME, and time got value that you can determine simply by how much you got payed per hour of work. This is money you didn't earn because you've spend it on poker
      +1

All you got was a starting capitol, but everything else was all your commitment blood
      sweat and tears. So if all that means nothing to you, then your effort obviously wasnt
      good enough and you desserve to lose it.