Don't you hate that too?

• Frannie1969
      Frannie1969
      Bronze
      Hi All,

Yesterday evening I played the Daily 100F Pokerstrategy Tournament at Betfred and from the 1787 entries and I became 7th

A real nice result to my opinion but there's one thing that I really dislike and what I've seen already many, many times....
      Finally when people reach the final table with a reasonable stack they go on "Sit Out" and also often they end up higher in the tournament then the other who actually play and therefore get payed more. (I've even see people ending on second place by this and guess what, as soon as that happens they're suddenly back!)

Don't You Hate That Also??

In online tournament (especially the freerolls) I noticed that a lot of people have put their name on the entrylist but......the just don't appear.
      It's time consuming for other players and also (if you're extreme lucky) players get at a tble with only people who are not online (which means....a tremendous nice stack in a real short time without having to play for it, just raise and grab the blinds over and over again)

Of course I realize that this doesn't happen in "real large" tournaments where a lot of money is involved but what I don't understand is......when someone is "Sitting Out" to get easier a better position whithout risk is that other players don't have a certain "Unspoken Agreement" to share the blinds with each other untill this player has completely lost his stack (which is shared then between all other players at the final table)

I think the programmers should do something about this (what do you think?)

My Opinion:

As soon as players are "Sitting Out" on a final table for a certain periode of time or...when they sit out several times (let's say 3x) they should be thrown from the table.

Regards from The Netherlands,

Frannie
  • 11 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      that only shows how much "tight is right" in the micros, i guess :D

a player sitting out is just auto folding every hand, how can that be optimal? let me tell you - it isn't.
      i don't mind sitouts at all in the very rare occasions that i play tournaments :f_biggrin:
    • Frannie1969
      Frannie1969
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tomaloc
      that only shows how much "tight is right" in the micros, i guess :D

a player sitting out is just auto folding every hand, how can that be optimal? let me tell you - it isn't.
      i don't mind sitouts at all in the very rare occasions that i play tournaments :f_biggrin:
      Of course it isn't because for sure the stack will be less and you won't have the chance to make it a higher one but nonetheless in 70% of the cases they get a higher position in the tournament without risk getting thrown out of the tournament with AA or some other cards.
    • jawoftheox
      jawoftheox
      Bronze
      I don't really mind if big stacks is sitting out.
      @ SanJames poker if you don't sat-in within first blind level, you are auto eliminated, that's nice when there are 10k entrants for example and 3-6k is sitting out.. From the other hand, if you are alone on the table with 8 people sitting out :) )
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Frannie1969
      In online tournament (especially the freerolls) I noticed that a lot of people have put their name on the entrylist but......the just don't appear.
      It's time consuming for other players and also (if you're extreme lucky) players get at a tble with only people who are not online (which means....a tremendous nice stack in a real short time without having to play for it, just raise and grab the blinds over and over again)
      Frannie
      That actually happened to me a couple of times. The reason for this is that some people register for those freerolls in advance, and then sometimes simply forget to play them when they start.
      I do remember, though, that it could get a little frustrating when you're at a table with like six people sitting out and everyone else being a maniac who doesn't give you any opportunities to play your hands. That happened a lot when 888 offered an abundance of $10,000 freerolls around Christmas time.

As for "strategic" sit-outs, I have to admit that I did that as well sometimes in my first few months playing, if I had a very big stack around the bubble phase. I was simply too nervous to play any hands, even premiums.
      However, I never did that on the final table nor did I see anyone else doing it then. I can't really see how this is supposed to be profitable either, aren't the blinds and antes super high at this stage?

Originally posted by Frannie1969
      As soon as players are "Sitting Out" on a final table for a certain periode of time or...when they sit out several times (let's say 3x) they should be thrown from the table.
      Frannie
      Don't really like this idea. If people want to take longer or more frequent breaks for whatever reason, let them do it.
      Furthermore, it wouldn't solve the problem of players deliberately sitting out to fold into the money either. They could still simply choose to manually fold every hand, which would, effectively, be the same as sitting out. When they're explicitly sitting out, at least you know for sure that you can take their blinds.
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      [x] OP doesnt understand Poker
      [x] OP doesnt understand Variance
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ragney
      When did OP say anything that's related to variance?
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Harrier88
      Originally posted by ragney
      When did OP say anything that's related to variance?
      Sitting out is extremely +EV for anyone, the deeper it is the better (blinds worth ALOT more). There is no reason that anyone should cry about this. They are crying about it because they don't understand variance. Most likely by playing poker, thus playing variance he/she finished in a lower rank than the guy who is sitting out. Instead of looking at the reality, OP is complaining to remove the free +EV spots when players are sitting out.
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Hey Frannie1969

I hope that you are stealing these guys blinds any chance you get no matter what hand you have because otherwise you're not taking advantage of their huge mistakes. Them sitting out as ragney says is awesome for everyone involved and those acting like 'maniacs' probably know this and are making the most of it. I'd suggest stealing a lot more and keep an eye out for those who are attacking blinds and stuff lighter since most likely you can resteal with more hands vs them and it will be +EV I guarantee you.
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      I don't hate it, I would actually prefer more people to do it.

Just one more thing OP, it is not always bad. Twice I have made it to heads up in tournaments and the opponents have just gave up and sit out leaving me to win 1st prize uncontested.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by JimC6
      I don't hate it, I would actually prefer more people to do it.

Just one more thing OP, it is not always bad. Twice I have made it to heads up in tournaments and the opponents have just gave up and sit out leaving me to win 1st prize uncontested.
      Must be nice mate!
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      I love people who are sitting out, they are just giving me free blinds.

I hate them, when they are sitting next to the fish who doesn't even understand to steal every time from them and I can't benefit their sit out at all.

But all in all, if they have made it to the final table, why wouldn't you let them to sit out? You could just make a steal once/round and then just wait for that guy to lose all his chips. No problem!