Not sure how to proceed

• mtr1g08
      mtr1g08
      Bronze
      Last night I played solid poker, getting the money in way ahead and find my self up $80 (160 bb) then within the space of 3 hands I end up losing a preflop all in KK vs AA and then flop a set of nines only to find I'm up against a set of tens making it a losing session and undoing all of the work. This seems to be a familiar pattern. I have been on the losing end of set over set 8 times this month including with QQQ and KK facing AA 3 times but have not been on the other side of it once which makes me think my opponents must be folding in this spot
  • 5 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey mtr1g08,

Sadly that is the nature of the beast. I was 4 tabling SnGs and simultaneously got AA on 2 tables and KK on the other one. Both AAs were up against KK which both hit their 2 outer. And my KK was up against AA and naturally didn't improve.

Variance will take you through stages where your monsters are continually outdrawn but likewise you'll also go through stages where they will always hold.

It can be extremely frustrating but how you handle this will ultimately define how good a poker player you are.

Regards

Lazza
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Hi mtr1g08,

In that case, you are wrong! Lazza pretty much nailed it in that regard. Just because you're getting coolered (set over set) doesn't mean your opponents are folding their sets in these spots!

Since you are Gold status, I can recommend you these videos from one of our coaches which deal with variance. Hopefully they'll be able to give you some further insight:

Videos

Variance just happens, there's no way you can avoid it. You'll lose AA against KK sometimes when you get the money in pre flop. But you got the money in way ahead, so all you can do is be happy that you'll be making money in the long run :)

Kind regards,
      Tino
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      You'll lose AA against KK sometimes when you get the money in pre flop. But you got the money in way ahead, so all you can do is be happy that you'll be making money in the long run :)
      Well, actually you won't be making money in the long run from AA vs KK unless you're folding KK pre :f_p:
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by metza
      You'll lose AA against KK sometimes when you get the money in pre flop. But you got the money in way ahead, so all you can do is be happy that you'll be making money in the long run :)
      Well, actually you won't be making money in the long run from AA vs KK unless you're folding KK pre :f_p:
      Hmm, poor choice of words maybe but I think you get what I mean :f_biggrin:
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey mtr

I've had some shitty runs the last 2 days as well. Don't worry keep up the good game and you'll be fine for sure. It's a bit sad to lose all your winnings in 2 hands, but thats poker I guess :(

Gl at the tables (accept against me :s_evil: )

RasTweet