[NL2-NL10] 88 raise MP

• caltabiano
      Known players:

0,1/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.60 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8:spade: , 8:club:
      UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls $0,25, 2 folds, Hero raises to $1,00, 5 folds.

Final Pot: $1,60

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of eights (8s 8c)

Hero wins with a pair of eights (8s 8c)

I wasn't too sure if I could do this in this hand, cause I just started using stats.... but I decided to give it a try and to post it here later to see if it's alright to do this.

I raised 88 in MP.. that's against the SHC. But here's what I thought:

I figured the BU was rather tight, so he'd fold unless he had some really nice hand. I didn't have so many hands on the CO, but apparently he tends to limp on a reasonable amount of hands, but he only raises the good ones.
      So I thought that they'd probably fold, and if they didn't, they'd probably reraise and I could easily fold without any hard feelings about it.
      Considering they did fold, I'd be the last one to act on the flop, and I'd be in good position to play my pocket 8's.

Was it an alright play?
      Like, I said I just started using the stats, so I'm still a bit lost

• 2 replies
    • davidangel
      It would appear that the table is very passive with only UTG2 having RP7+ So yes, you can loosen up abit, and fold easier cause they only seem to raise really big hands, and will mostly fold to pot size c-bets. I do hope you noticed that UTG2 limped into the pot, and make sure you bet 1.25
      If you look at his RP13, this shows he is a little laggy, and also open raises about a third of his hands in late position. He also calls top 17% of hands so here I would say that UTG has gimped a hand worse than 88.
      Also I notice you have 17-18BB so you probably have established a tight image, and this often makes your hand appear larger than it is to the chum.
    • Gerv
      Hi Caltabiano,

Isolation raises can often be made if your CO/BU/SB/BB are rather passive/tight.
      However with just Pocket Eights and a UTG+2 limper who have stats of 17/13 and seems to me that he is limping a pocketpair as the BSS Strategy says, I would not have made this play.

If the stats of UTG+2 were like 42/2 or ManiacPassive, I would have raised the Snowmans.

I can recommend you to download a database of NL25 FullRing , I will post one in your blog of mine.