[NL2-NL10] Few hands at NL10

• MikeyH
      MikeyH
      Bronze
      Edit: Decided to read rules on posting hands after writing this post, sorry about multiple hands in one thread. Will leave it as is, won't happen again though.

Played 2200 hands so far over last week, did not play to strategy properly first day, have since corrected, but have still been on the unlucky side with pushes. (Extra bonus releases have covered this loss though)

Just wanted to post up a few hands to get some thoughts on a few situations.....

Hand 1:

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $10.40
      BB:
      $5.25
      UTG+2:
      $3.70
      MP1:
      $10.75
      MP2:
      $1.95
      MP3:
      $1.75
      CO:
      $16.60
      Hero:
      $1.95

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.60 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with K:diamond: , A:club:
      UTG+2 raises to $0.20, 4 folds, Hero raises to $0.60, SB calls $0.55, BB folds, UTG+2 calls $0.40.

Flop: ($1.90) 3:club: , 6:club: , 4:heart: (3 players)
      SB checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero bets $1.35 (All-In), SB calls $1.35, UTG+2 folds.

Turn: ($4.60) K:spade:
      River: ($4.60) 2:spade:

Final Pot: $4.60

I decided to push with bluff here even though I had 2 callers, I thought with preflop re-raise they may give me credit for high pockets.

Hand 2

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $6.10
      Hero:
      $2.00
      UTG+2:
      $2.15
      MP1:
      $11.40
      MP2:
      $11.25
      MP3:
      $4.00
      CO:
      $24.30
      BU:
      $10.80

Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.60 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q:heart: , Q:diamond:
      2 folds, MP2 raises to $0.40, 4 folds, Hero raises to $1.20, MP2 calls $0.80.

Flop: ($2.45) 6:club: , K:spade: , 9:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.80 (All-In), MP2 calls $0.80.

Turn: ($4.05) 8:club:
      River: ($4.05) T:heart:

Final Pot: $4.05

This was my very first hand on BB at a new table and hand no idea of the range of hands of other player. Question here is should I still be aggressive during hands with new players?

Hand 3

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $1.85
      BB:
      $3.70
      UTG:
      $6.00
      UTG+2:
      $3.80
      MP1:
      $12.95
      MP2:
      $4.85
      MP3:
      $23.20
      CO:
      $9.55
      BU:
      $5.70

Preflop: Hero is SB with J:heart: , Q:spade:
      UTG+2 calls $0.10, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.10, 2 folds, BU calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.05, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.50) J:spade: , 3:diamond: , 9:diamond: (5 players)
      Hero bets $0.25, BB folds, UTG+2 raises to $1.25, 2 folds, Hero raises to $1.75 (All-In), UTG+2 calls $0.50.

Turn: ($4.00) A:spade:
      River: ($4.00) 6:heart:

Final Pot: $4.00

I have been limping in unraised pots from SB with hands like these (small pockets, QJ and above). Should I be concerned about the raise here? I made the call because the strategy considers this a made hand, but due to many limpers with a large range of hands I could possibly be beat.

Hand 4:

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $7.70
      BB:
      $4.55
      UTG+1:
      $11.25
      UTG+2:
      $5.00
      Hero:
      $2.00
      MP2:
      $1.85
      MP3:
      $15.75
      CO:
      $10.75
      BU:
      $9.45

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J:heart: , J:club: . UTG+2 posts a blind of $0.10.
      UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 checks, Hero raises to $0.50, 2 folds, CO calls $0.50, 4 folds.

Flop: ($1.25) A:heart: , 2:heart: , 7:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.70, CO raises to $3.35, Hero calls $0.80, CO gets uncalled bet back..

Turn: ($4.25) T:club:
      River: ($4.25) 9:club:

Final Pot: $4.25

I called here due to the players ridiculous play in hands prior to this, but if that were not the case, is it worth the call for flush draw?

Thoughts and criticism greatly appreciated.
  • 7 replies
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hi Mikey,

Please remove the results as its for no one's benefit to reveal these when you need opinions of players ;)

Hand 1:

Postflop, you have 1 out for the backdoorflush and 2 overcards which gives you a total of 7 outs at max. If you decide to push here you should have a Pot odds of 2,6:1 at least.

You decide to push $1.35 for a pot of $1.9 which brings you on
      1.9:1.35
      1.407:1
      Since Pot Odds are lower than your normal odds/outs, you are clearly not playing profitable.

Therefore I suggest you to just check behind and see if you hit a King or Ace, then a push is justified since you have Toppair.
      Remember: No hit with AK/AQ/KQ/AJ + Multiway Pot = Check/Fold unless you hit TopPair along the Turn/River.

Hand 2:

on NL10, you do not have to adapt to other players. In fact the majority cannot even play proper poker therfore the SSS is at its max profitability from those players when playing AA/KK !

I would Push PreFlop immediately since your reraise of $1.2 (3x40c) will leave you out with only 80cents.

A thumb of Rule in the articles say: When betting more than 50% of your stack, push All-in Instead

As played, you went all-in on the Flop and that's good regardless of the outcome.

Optimal play would be pushing it All-in PreFlop

Hand 3:

If you start out with SSS, I would not recommend limping in with any hands. Just play your regular hands stated in the SHC. QJ is a difficult hand (even for me) to play PostFlop and later.

As played:
      PreFlop: 0.45/0.05 = 9:1 so I can accept your complete
      PostFlop: Bet Pot so 50 cents because you want to protect yourself from any Flushdraws. I should push to his bet as well since a Flushdraw has only a 34% chance to hit a flush by the river.

Hand 4:

PostFlop:

Since a 2/3 continuation bet of a pot of $1.25 is like $0.85 instead of $0.75, you can go for a direct Push all-in. Especially when you are out of position.

As played pot odds are: 1.25+0.7+1.5 : 0.8 = 4.3125:1 = you need 19% to be profitable.

With a backdoor fullhouse and a Jack-High flushdraw, I would have pushed it here as well. You are pot committed anyway ;)

I hope this makes sense,

- Gerv
    • MikeyH
      MikeyH
      Bronze
      Thanks Gerv!

I will do a re-read of SSS articles, I got mixed up between numbers I had it in my mind that more than 2/3 of the stack was the shove point, not half. So in the majority of cases a bet on the flop is usually going to be all-in.

When should I be betting pot size instead of 2/3 in the BB free flop situations? (I flopped several good hands from this position today, 2 pair, straight etc).
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MikeyH
      When should I be betting pot size instead of 2/3 in the BB free flop situations? (I flopped several good hands from this position today, 2 pair, straight etc).
      I assume you mean Hand 3, well you want to protect your TPTK against a Flush Draw, therefore you want to give them bad odds to call you ;)
    • Jaime001254
      Jaime001254
      Bronze
      hand 1: dont cbet, as there are 2 players in the flop... check/fold in the flop
      hand 2: preflop id go all in, its a little sample but with 25vpip-8pfr you know what to expect, i cant fold here, im only losing to AA or KK, flip AK.
      hand 3: dont play QJ, avoid this kind of decisions - the way its played id fold the raise in the flop
      hand 4: mmmm i think its played well, please correct me, i think he may have an ace, but we are comited, and there is the FD.

but dont take me too serious, as there are a lot of more experienced players than me
    • MikeyH
      MikeyH
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jaime001254

hand 4: mmmm i think its played well, please correct me, i think he may have an ace, but we are comited, and there is the FD.

Was slow playing kings, perfect time to raise, when the ace hits :D
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      Then hand 4 is the perfect example for you of why you must push the flop, the KK cannot call you without the k :heart: in the holdings. Remember you are a TAG, so when you bet you bet large and in charge. No messing around, period :D

Happy chum hunting
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MikeyH

Whenever you see that the board can possibly make a hand that beat the one you're holding on a later street (the normal thing is flushdraws and/or straightdraws) you want to bet for protection to make them draw expensively :)