hotelmar

• hotelmar
      hotelmar
      Bronze
      Here we go. Watch out Phil Ivey. Wait a minute, he's broke just like me.

Hello, My name is hotelmar. (not really, it's made up)

I've been playing for about a year and discovered PokerStrategy.com when reading a copy of The Education of a Modern Poker Player I got for xmas. I'm playing at the NL2 tables. I've been following the Starting Hands Chart and preflop advice religiously and so far its working. I've even done a little multitabling and its going well. Looking forward to learning and making a move up the stakes. I definitely can't retire with my current win rate.
  • 8 replies
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Hey hotelmar

Welcome to the beginners' course. It's really cool that you decided to partake in this course and I think it would be really helpful for you, even starting hands charts are really great imo. I hope you enjoy. Make sure you post your first homework sometime.

Regards,
      Luke
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello hotelmar,

Welcome to the course.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

Once you are ready to post your first homework please do so below.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Bogdan
    • hotelmar
      hotelmar
      Bronze
      What is your motivation for playing poker?

I would like be a skilled and profitable hobbyist. I don't need to get rich playing poker, but I'd like to cut down on my monthly pilgrimage to my local Ukash dealer. The most important thing about making money to me would be that it would be a good sign that my skill set is improving. Although it is strictly a hobby to me, that doesn't mean that I find losing enjoyable. Part of my passion for poker comes from the fact that there is always something new to learn and you can always strive to get better.

What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

At this point, I would say the erroneous assumption that one gets better simply by logging uncounted hours at the tables. although some progress is bound to happen merely by experience, it's to much like assuming you can learn to play the guitar well simply by strumming away at the same chords nigh after night. I need more goal directed learning and more goal directed playing.

What does it mean to play tight aggressive.

Tight aggressive means to be selective in choosing hands to play and how to proceed with them as the hand progresses. The tight aggressive player chooses starting hands, conscious of position, that give him/her the best opportunity to win. They proceed with a hand when the conditions are favourable and are willing to fold a hand when they are not. The TAG tends to favour betting and raising over calling and checking, as this puts pressure on his/her opponents to make difficult, and hopefully costly, mistakes.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi hotelmar,

Good job with your homework.

As you get more experience at the tables and start using the resources here you will be able to improve your weaknesses. There will always be incorrect assumptions being made but all you want to aim for is to reduce their frequency or increase the chance that they are correct.
    • hotelmar
      hotelmar
      Bronze
      Question 1: How do you think that you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting hands Chart and why?

In a sense, you can play differently from the recommendations of the SHC when the alternative action has a greater EV than the one suggested by the chart. In the CO or the button, it is often profitable to raise with a wider range of hands than that outlined in the SHC. For example, against a very tight player who folds a lot, you could raise with a K7s to steal his/her blinds.

Help! I'm not exactly sure which types of hands I would use in the CO or BU to execute a isolation raise against a limper. Is it a range like is suggested for blind stealing or more like just hands with which you were going to call with anyway and now decide to raise?

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post.....

Done

Question 3: What is the equity......... 52.65%
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi hotelmar

The range you isolate with depends on a few factors.

For example first look at what information you have on villain/limper (stats, stack size, position). Then look at the info you have on the guys behind. And then make your decision.

So let's take an example.

UTG limps, we are on the BTN and we have 100 BB effective. The blinds are tight/passive.

What is your range for isolating?
    • hotelmar
      hotelmar
      Bronze
      I guess in this case, I could be quite loose. I could isolate with all sorts of hands, suited 2 gappers and stuff I usually don't play.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Exactly,

So information is key here.

Now if I told you that UTG has 30 BB and that SB has 20 BB and BB is an aggressive player (3-bets 20%) what would you isolate with?