Snakes will smoke

• Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Greetings, fellow poker enthusiasts!

Having enjoyed my stay in the forums after my initial delurking a couple of weeks ago, I decided to start my own blog to document my misadventures in the wonderful world of online poker. First of all, you might be wondering about the name.

The name goes back to an old Brazilian phrase, "a cobra vai fumar" ("the snake will smoke"). It originally used to describe an event that is extremely unlikely to happen, similar to "when pigs fly", and it was famously used to illustrate the unlikelihood of Brazil entering World War II. When Brazilian troops, after a turn of events, eventually did end up fighting in the war, the meaning of the phrase was pretty much reversed and is now used to describe an event that is guaranteed to happen, in a furious and aggressive way. The Brazilian Expeditionary Force was even nicknamed "Cobras Fumantes" (the smoking snakes) in reference to this, and used an image of a snake puffing a pipe as their new insignia.

So what the heck does this have to do with my blog, or poker in general?

In the last few years, I usually had quite a bit of disdain for blogging in general. I actually dropped out of an university course three years ago when I learned that I was supposed to write three blog articles; the mere thought of it disgusted me.
      Fast forward to 2014, and once again, things have changed, and here I am writing my first blog post. But if anyone had asked me three years ago whether I'll ever start writing a blog, I could have said "I'll start blogging when snakes will smoke", assuming I would have been familiar with the original saying.

It can also be seen as a metaphor for my past and future development as a poker player. Thinking back to my first few days playing online, even playing semi-decently at the level I do now seemed as likely as snakes starting to smoke a pipe. And the same could be said about the idea of me playing and winning at the limits I want to reach eventually. It seems inconceivable right now, but who knows... maybe this snake will start smoking again...

I guess it would make just as much sense to call this blog "pigs will fly", but a smoking snake makes a much cooler mascot than a flying pig, doesn't it? :f_biggrin:
      Plus, according to the Chinese zodiac calendar, we're actually living in the year of the snake right now (not for long, it'll end in like 2-3 weeks, but still...)

My goals for this blog:

I mainly intend to use this blog as some sort of personal diary for my (hopefully successful!) poker career. In the past months, I noticed that I still have quite a few leaks in my mental game – I feel unstoppable when things are going well, I beat myself up when things are going downhill. In this blog, I plan to document what went right and wrong in each session, and look at it from a more rational and analytic perspective than I used to do. I'll also probably talk about what else is going on in my life from time to time, since I felt like I've had troubles finding a good balance between life and poker.
      Discussion is highly encouraged; I know a lot of you guys have been there, done that, and will be able to offer loads of valuable advice. :f_love:

About me:

I am a 25 year old university student living in a small town in the middle of Germany. The degree I'm studying is called BA Anglophone Studies (it's about the English language, literature, linguistics, etc.), so unlike most of you guys, I don't have a mathematical background – maybe that explains why I suck at poker :f_wink: . My studies are almost done, the only thing left for me to do is to complete an internship, so I decided to move back to my parents' home for the time being. That also means that I should currently have enough time to get a good amount of grinding done. :s_cool:

When I first started playing poker at 888 in 2012, I had very little knowledge of poker, and even after improving, I still followed some seriously maniacal bankroll management (DoN for rollz!! :f_biggrin: ). Sometimes the risk paid of, but I eventually came to realize that this is not the way to go. Later that year, after squandering the sorry remains of my bankroll at a blackjack table, I deposited $50, won an extra $10 by betting on Obama's re-election, and finally began some disciplined grinding, forcing myself to always stick to correct BRM. It was a bumpy road, but by the middle of 2013, I managed to turn that $50 into $350, almost exclusively playing SnG's.

After hearing good things about PokerStars, I decided to cash out and move over there; unfortunately not before losing $100 on my last day at 888 by accidentally registering for a high-rollers MTT when I wanted to play in one last $0.40 tourney... :rage: Anyway, I deposited $200, bagging my initial investment of $50, and continued to grind micro stakes SnG's. Failing to make a good breakthrough, I eventually grew tired of SnG's and moved on to cash games - prefering Zoom tables over traditional ones - which is what I still play today. Things were looking nicely in last November, when my bankroll went up to $550 at one point, but after heavy swings and my aforementioned mental game leaks, only around $365 is left as of today...

Stay tuned for my next post, where I will cut the crap and actually talk about my game and my goals for this month.
      And don't worry, I do not plan to write a freakin' novel every time. :f_grin:
  • 655 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Harrier88,

Welcome to the blogs. :)

We actually have some similarities.

If someone would have asked me 3 years ago when I joined PokerStrategy if I would be blogging or even posting in a forum like this, I would have laughed at them.

When I joined I took up a free money offer, read all the articles I could, watched all the videos I could and left.

I never even checked the forums on my first time around. :O .When I returned a couple of months later (looking for new material), I clicked on forums by accident, seen something that interested me and became a lurker.

Lurker became periodic poster then regular poster then blogger and now a Moderator as well.

Like I say if someone would have said i would have been doing this it would have been a cobra vai fumar.

I better stop before this turns into a novel :tongue:

GL and following for sure

Laz
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Thanks Lazza!

Btw, I actually know next to nothing about Brazilian history or the Portuguese language, so if any Brazilian happens to read this, feel free to correct any mistakes I might have made in my previous post.

Moving on to poker, let's start by looking at some of my statistics. I only have been using Pokertracker 4 since the middle of December, so here's a graph of my overall "winnings" since then:

Needless to say, nothing to brag about.
      I'm sure I could have avoided at least two of these downward slopes if I had been able to deal with tilt problems more effectively. It seems my main problem is not necessarily lack of knowledge, but more likely failure to implement said knowledge, and making mistakes when I should have known better.

Even more worrisome is the graph for my all-in equity. I don't even remember running unusually well recently, save for maybe 1-2 two-outers. Nevertheless, it seems like I can't even blame bad luck right now.

And WTH is up with that red graph? Seriously, is that normal? :f_confused:

Anyway, I should mention that I made the move from Zoom FR games to Zoom SH about one or two weeks ago. Even though my bankroll ($365) is big enough for NL10, I'll stick to NL5 for the time being, since I'm still a little inexperienced when it comes to shorthanded play.

To illustrate, here's my NL10 SH graph:

...and here is my NL5 SH graph:

I know the sample size is way to small to reach any meaningful conclusions whether I'm beating the games or not, but I'm sure you get the idea why I feel more comfortable at NL5 right now.
      I plan to move back to NL10 when my roll is up to $420 or so.

So let's set some goals for the rest of January. There may be a lot of irl stuff getting in the way in the next few weeks, so let's keep it basic:

:spade: Get my bankroll back to over $400
      (BONUS: get it back to $420, so I can get right back to NL10 in February)
      :club: Get rid of some of my more obvious mistakes
      :club: Finally manage to set up my Ladbrokes account, so I can keep earning StrategyPoints. (there have been some problems with my deposit)

And as an additional off-the-felt goal:
      :heart: Go out jogging at least three times a week. Gotta get back in shape.

That will do for now.

Seeing that it's slowly getting dark outside, I think I will go for a jog right now, and play poker later.

I'll see you guys at the tables!
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Managed to squeeze in two sessions tonight, or a single big one with a short break in between. And I'm sorry to say, but we're off to a shaky start.

The first session before the break ended with a net loss of a little more than a buy-in. There were two hands in particular that stood out.

First, we have a classic "idiot straight":

PokerStars - $0.05 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: $4.27 (VPIP: 10.17, PFR: 6.78, 3Bet Preflop: 4.55, Hands: 60)
      SB: $3.15 (VPIP: 100.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 1)
      BB: $4.65 (VPIP: 26.92, PFR: 15.38, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 27)
      Hero (UTG): $5.00
      MP: $7.72 (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 1)
      CO: $2.25 (VPIP: 20.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 5)

SB posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has 9:diamond: 9:club:

Hero raises to $0.15, MP calls $0.15, fold, BTN calls $0.15, SB calls $0.13, fold

Flop: ($0.65, 4 players) Q:diamond: T:spade: J:spade:
      SB bets $0.30, Hero calls $0.30, MP calls $0.30, fold

Turn: ($1.55, 3 players) K:club:
      SB bets $0.75, Hero raises to $1.50, fold, SB calls $0.75

River: ($4.55, 2 players) 2:diamond:
      SB bets $1.20 and is all-in, Hero calls $1.20

SB shows A:diamond: Q:club: (Straight, Ace High) (Pre 45%, Flop 77%, Turn 97%)
      Hero shows 9:diamond: 9:club: (Straight, King High) (Pre 55%, Flop 23%, Turn 3%)
      SB wins $6.66

I actually posted this hand on the hand-evaluation board in the break, and it was correctly pointed out that I should have folded the flop due to the lack of clean outs.
      That's one mistake I hopefully won't repeat. Thanks kymupa and olram6 for the advice and the quick replies!

Speaking of second best hands, take a look at our next highlight:

BTN: $10.14 (VPIP: 10.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 20)
      SB: $7.97 (VPIP: 14.29, PFR: 14.29, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 7)
      BB: $4.15 (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 2)
      UTG: $2.50 (VPIP: 100.00, PFR: 100.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 1)
      Hero (MP): $7.99
      CO: $2.90 (VPIP: 27.27, PFR: 22.73, 3Bet Preflop: 16.67, Hands: 23)

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has K:heart: J:heart:

fold, Hero raises to $0.15, fold, BTN calls $0.15, fold, fold

Flop: ($0.37, 2 players) 9:heart: K:club: 6:heart:
      Hero bets $0.25, BTN calls $0.25

Turn: ($0.87, 2 players) T:heart:
      Hero bets $0.50, BTN calls $0.50

River: ($1.87, 2 players) 3:club:
      Hero bets $1.00, BTN raises to $3.00, Hero calls $2.00

BTN shows A:heart: Q:heart: (Flush, Ace High) (Pre 64%, Flop 40%, Turn 100%)
      Hero shows K:heart: J:heart: (Flush, King High) (Pre 36%, Flop 60%, Turn 0%)
      BTN wins $7.54

What a nasty situation to be in while playing deep stacked...
      But at least he didn't take all of my chips.

So like I said, we went into the break with a loss of 5-6 dollars after about 500 hands. It wasn't all negative, though, as I was actually able take someone's stack after flopping a set. But the two hands above coupled with a series of small losses after missed flops and busted draws set me back for a while.

At first, it seemed like the next session was going to continue in the direction of the last one. Here's what happened a few hands after the break:

Hero (BTN): $5.00
      SB: $2.96
      BB: $5.00 (VPIP: 11.76, PFR: 11.76, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 53)
      UTG: $4.07 (VPIP: 17.65, PFR: 17.65, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 17)
      MP: $6.27
      CO: $5.31 (VPIP: 13.04, PFR: 4.35, 3Bet Preflop: 10.00, Hands: 25)

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has K:spade: A:club:

fold, MP raises to $0.10, fold, Hero raises to $0.30, SB calls $0.28, fold, fold

Flop: ($0.75, 2 players) 7:spade: Q:club: 4:club:
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.50, SB calls $0.50

Turn: ($1.75, 2 players) A:diamond:
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.95, SB raises to $2.16 and is all-in, Hero calls $1.21

River: ($6.07, 2 players) Q:spade:

SB shows Q:heart: Q:diamond: (Four of a Kind, Queens) (Pre 57%, Flop 95%, Turn 100%)
      Hero shows K:spade: A:club: (Two Pair, Aces and Queens) (Pre 43%, Flop 5%, Turn 0%)
      SB wins $5.82

Nice hand! :f_thumbsup:

It didn't look good at this point, being down by almost two full stacks for the day. Luckily, there were also hands like this:

BTN: $8.71 (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 1)
      SB: $4.76
      BB: $15.15 (VPIP: 22.22, PFR: 22.22, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 45)
      UTG: $7.51 (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 11)
      Hero (MP): $5.90
      CO: $5.05 (VPIP: 13.33, PFR: 11.67, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 62)

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has A:diamond: A:club:

fold, Hero raises to $0.15, fold, fold, SB raises to $0.40, BB raises to $15.15 and is all-in, Hero calls $5.75 and is all-in, fold

Flop: ($12.20, 2 players) 9:diamond: J:club: 3:diamond:

Turn: ($12.20, 2 players) T:heart:

River: ($12.20, 2 players) 5:spade:

BB shows K:spade: K:diamond: (One Pair, Kings) (Pre 18%, Flop 10%, Turn 14%)
      Hero shows A:diamond: A:club: (One Pair, Aces) (Pre 82%, Flop 90%, Turn 86%)
      Hero wins $11.69

Sweet pot! :f_biggrin: Nice to finally see my Aces getting some action.

A few more good hands later, I actually came close to breaking even again, but it wasn't going to last, and a few minor losses later, I called it a night, with a net loss of around $4 after 1k hands in total.

Would have hoped for a better start, but it wasn't a disaster either.

One of my more general mistakes in this session was making bets in awkward situations without a clear plan of what to do if my opponent calls. That resulted in a lot of small losses that really added up in the end.
      I also seemed to lack some concentration at times.

Hopefully I can work on those mistakes and get back on track in the next couple days. Thanks for reading, everyone!

P.S. I'm not sure if I will do these reviews on a daily basis, or only after key sessions. For now, I just wanted to try things out.
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      The last few days have not really been extremely productive...

I took a little break on Thursday since I was making a small trip to Frankfurt and came home pretty tired. In my experience, it is better not to play at all if you know you are going to play like sh*t.

On Friday, I managed to squeeze in a single late night session of about 600 hands. It went pretty well, won about $8. Then on Saturday evening I played another short session winning about $5. No reason to pat myself on the back, though, I got quite lucky in that one and might as well have been down by a stack or so.

The session last night, however, which lasted for about 500 hands, actually went really well. I was able to bag a profit of about $23, that's almost five buy-ins! This time, I didn't even have to rely on suckouts, I just ran into enough players to pay me off with second best hands. As well as some reckless bluffers, who apparently felt a little more like Doyle Brunson tonight.

Pretty nice results so far, we are going for less than a week and have already almost achieved our goals for January. But I will try to keep my head out of the clouds, I know that this attitude has cost me a lot of money in the past.

Also, I believe I was playing my draws a little too aggressively at times, especially flush draws, so I will probably do some studying on this topic.

Have a great weekend! :f_biggrin:
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Wow. 5BIs in 500 hands. What exactly do the snakes smoke? ;)

More please

Laz
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Lazza61
      Wow. 5BIs in 500 hands. What exactly do the snakes smoke? ;)
      Four-leaf clovers, I assume. :f_wink:
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Another late night 500 hands session... maybe I will be a little more productive next week.

Check out this hand, which is also currently up for discussion on the Hand Evaluation boards:

BTN: $4.44 (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 1)
      SB: $6.14 (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 1)
      Hero (BB): $5.79
      UTG: $5.83 (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 1)
      MP: $1.16 (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 1)
      CO: $5.18 (VPIP: 20.00, PFR: 20.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 5)

SB posts SB $0.02, Hero posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has Q:club: Q:spade:

fold, MP raises to $0.15, fold, BTN calls $0.15, SB raises to $0.60, Hero raises to $1.80, MP calls $1.01 and is all-in, BTN calls $1.65, SB raises to $6.14 and is all-in, Hero calls $3.99 and is all-in, BTN calls $2.64 and is all-in

Flop: ($17.18, 4 players) T:spade: 6:heart: K:diamond:

Turn: ($17.18, 4 players) 5:spade:

River: ($17.18, 4 players) J:heart:

SB shows A:club: A:diamond: (One Pair, Aces) (Pre 73%, Flop 59%, Turn 80%)
      Hero shows Q:club: Q:spade: (One Pair, Queens) (Pre 2%, Flop 1%, Turn 0%)
      BTN shows Q:heart: K:heart: (One Pair, Kings) (Pre 13%, Flop 14%, Turn 5%)
      MP shows Q:diamond: J:diamond: (One Pair, Jacks) (Pre 13%, Flop 26%, Turn 15%)
      SB wins $16.47

It is not everyday that you see four players shoving their entire stacks preflop...

I also got my aces cracked by a full stack holding KK later that session. It happens to all of us sometimes, doesn't it?

Still managed to walk away with a one dollar profit in the end, though.

I'll be a little busy next week, but maybe I can still find ways to add some volume without it negatively affecting my game.
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      As I imagined it has been a relatively busy week, but I was still able to increase the volume to 3-4 sessions a day, typically lasting between 500 and 600 hands.

Even though I made a decent profit overall, I was not entirely happy with how the week was going. While I made far less spewcalls than I used to, I still made too many of them, and I noticed some definite leaks during my session reviews and hand discussions online.
      There have been a few losing sessions with losses ranging from $3-$9, but luckily there were enough winning session to offset them.

Special mention goes to one session where I was down by almost two stacks after less than 200 hands. I realized that I was tilting and ended it prematurely at that point. I guess that's a good sign, at least I don't force myself anymore to chase my losses when I'm clearly not in the right mindset.

Also, I recently got back into playing a few sessions of 5 card draw :f_love: . It's a fun game, but it seems like I lost a few bucks playing it overall. I'm not sure yet if this game is for me, but it's fun to gamble a few cents once in a while.

Thanks to the $10 cashback from Pokerstars, my bankroll has now risen to $422! That's some pretty nice development, considering $420 was my (bonus) goal for this month. I won't make the switch to NL10 just yet, though. NL5 is going well right now, so I might as well stick around for little longer.
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Oh, and my ladbrokes account still isn't up. :f_biggrin: Maybe this weekend...
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      I didn't plan to make another post so soon, but as a result of the success of today's sessions, I decided to make the switch to NL10 now.

My bankroll can take a few hits before hitting the $400 mark again, so let's not delay.

Keep your fingers crossed for the snakes! :f_love:
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by Harrier88
      I didn't plan to make another post so soon, but as a result of the success of today's sessions, I decided to make the switch to NL10 now.

My bankroll can take a few hits before hitting the $400 mark again, so let's not delay.

Keep your fingers crossed for the snakes! :f_love:
      Smokin' at NL10. Gogogogogogogo. :s_biggrin:
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      My first day at NL10 comes to end, and boy, was I in for a ride...

Last night's session wasn't a bad start at all. I made $10 despite losing two full stacks due to broken aces. Just think, if my aces had held up, I would have won a whopping $50 in my very first 500 hands...

I had three more sessions today. The first one went quite well, earning me over $15 in the end. Second one started well again, but soon went to dogs. Only a few hands before my intended end of the session, I shoved KK vs QQ preflop and ran into a set. Unfortunately, this seemed to put me on tilt and I was donking off a few more dollars, ending the session with a $13 loss.

The third session was a nightmare. Full house over full house (luckily only against a midstack), two pair over two pair, hardly any value from KK+ and it seemed like I couldn't hit anything with AK if my life depended on it. I ended up with another $13 loss. There goes my profit... :f_cry:

Nevertheless, I'm still pretty optimistic about this NL10 thing. It didn't feel as different to NL5 as I remembered, and from what I experienced so far, I believe I should be able to make a similar profit at it.

Here's to a fresh new start tomorrow!
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Just finished another session, lost $30. 'Nuff said.

I'm back to NL5...
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      That's more like it, I played a single session of NL5 and made almost $18.
      Got pretty lucky hitting one flush draw, but even if I had lost it I would have won like two buy-ins.

My bankroll is back at $427. I'm still debating whether I should take another shot at NL10 tonight. Right now, I'm leaning towards it.
    • pitabread189
      pitabread189
      Bronze
      You're definitely rolled for 10nl, play it :)
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pitabread189
      You're definitely rolled for 10nl, play it :)
      I know that my bankroll is huge for NL5 and definitely appropriate for NL10, but I have been running into a lot of confidence/tilt issues at NL10 in the past, so I preferred to play at lower limits.

Speaking of which, I actually did decide to play some more NL10 earlier.
      1st session: -$12
      2nd session: -$2 (I managed to stack someone in the last few hands)
      3rd session: -$20

You may recall this line from one of my previous posts:
      Originally posted by Harrier88
      I'm still pretty optimistic about this NL10 thing. It didn't feel as different to NL5 as I remembered, and from what I experienced so far, I believe I should be able to make a similar profit at it.
      Well, disregard everything I said there. Those guys read me like an open book. They fold to my strong made hands, they raise or call my bluffs and semibluffs. It's like they can see my cards.
      I just don't feel like I'm in control at this limit. I keep running into heavy resistance with speculative hands preflop and marginally strong hands postflop. After a while, I just have enough and jam it in with second best hands, or sometimes even mere bluffcatchers. An obvious tilt problem.

My bankroll is back to under $400 now, and it will be a long time till I get my hands on NL10 again. Let's hope I can pick up where I left off in NL5 and regain not only my money but also, more importantly, my confidence, which really took quite a beating in the last day.
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze

BTN: $5.02 (VPIP: 25.81, PFR: 16.13, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 31)
      SB: $5.98 (VPIP: 40.00, PFR: 40.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 5)
      BB: $6.22 (VPIP: 9.76, PFR: 6.10, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 84)
      Hero (UTG): $8.74
      MP: $6.89 (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 2)
      CO: $5.70 (VPIP: 19.05, PFR: 14.29, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 21)

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has K:heart: K:club:

Hero raises to $0.15, fold, CO raises to $0.52, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $1.35, CO calls $0.83

Flop: ($2.77, 2 players) 8:diamond: 8:spade: 7:heart:
      Hero bets $1.45, CO raises to $2.90, Hero raises to $7.39 and is all-in, CO calls $1.45 and is all-in

Turn: ($11.47, 2 players) Q:spade:

River: ($11.47, 2 players) Q:diamond:

Hero shows K:heart: K:club: (Two Pair, Kings and Queens) (Pre 72%, Flop 87%, Turn 89%)
      CO shows Q:club: A:diamond: (Full House, Queens full of Eights) (Pre 28%, Flop 13%, Turn 11%)
      CO wins $10.99

Who needs aces when you can suck out with style...
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze

Hero (BTN): $5.02
      SB: $3.52 (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 2)
      BB: $4.97 (VPIP: 17.86, PFR: 14.29, 3Bet Preflop: 28.57, Hands: 28)
      UTG: $6.31 (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 1)
      MP: $6.16 (VPIP: 22.00, PFR: 18.00, 3Bet Preflop: 14.29, Hands: 51)
      CO: $14.19 (VPIP: 62.50, PFR: 50.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 8)

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has K:heart: Q:diamond:

UTG calls $0.05, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.20, fold, BB calls $0.15, fold

Flop: ($0.47, 2 players) 5:heart: A:heart: 9:heart:
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.35, BB calls $0.35

Turn: ($1.17, 2 players) 3:heart:
      BB bets $1.10, Hero calls $1.10

River: ($3.37, 2 players) 3:spade:
      BB bets $3.32 and is all-in, Hero calls $3.32

BB shows K:club: Q:heart: (Flush, Ace High) (Pre 50%, Flop 34%, Turn 0%)
      Hero shows K:heart: Q:diamond: (Flush, Ace High) (Pre 50%, Flop 66%, Turn 100%)
      Hero wins $9.59

See? I can deal some coolers, too. :s_evil:

Here's another highlight:

BTN: $5.33 (VPIP: 34.04, PFR: 17.02, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 47)
      SB: $5.15 (VPIP: 66.67, PFR: 33.33, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 3)
      Hero (BB): $7.37
      UTG: $6.23 (VPIP: 17.24, PFR: 13.79, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 119)
      MP: $5.64 (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 1)
      CO: $4.89 (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 3)

SB posts SB $0.02, Hero posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has T:spade: 5:club:

fold, fold, CO calls $0.05, fold, fold, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.12, 2 players) 8:heart: J:heart: 9:heart:
      Hero checks, CO checks

Turn: ($0.12, 2 players) 6:heart:
      Hero checks, CO checks

River: ($0.12, 2 players) 8:diamond:
      Hero checks, CO checks

Hero shows T:spade: 5:club: (One Pair, Eights) (Pre 13%, Flop 34%, Turn 24%)
      CO shows A:club: A:diamond: (Two Pair, Aces and Eights) (Pre 87%, Flop 66%, Turn 76%)
      CO wins $0.12

I know the board was scary, but seriously?! :f_eek:
      That's the first time I've ever seen AA go to showdown by nothing but limping and checking.
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      It's Chinese New Year! :f_biggrin: This means that the year of the Snake is now officially over. Next up is the year of the Horse, so if you were born in 1990, 1978, 1966 or 1954, this could be your year.

It is also time to reflect on the last month. There have been some days that I would like to erase from my memory, but all things considered, I think it went pretty well. My bankroll is now at $409, so I met my goal for January. Of course, I used to have $470 earlier this week, but I'll get to that later...

Here are some graphs and stats about my performance since January 15:

NL5

NL10

Overall winnings

Calendar

Another goal for January was to get rid of some of my more obvious mistakes. While I do think that I improved my game a little bit over the last few weeks, I'm still not entirely happy. Remember what I said in my initial post?
      I noticed that I still have quite a few leaks in my mental game – I feel unstoppable when things are going well, I beat myself up when things are going downhill.

Well, not much has changed. I did try to curb my enthusiasm during my upswing, but the NL10 losing streak certainly took its toll on my spirit. I was pretty bummed out all throughout Tuesday, which made me realize that I needed to re-evaluate what role poker plays in my life.
      Last Wednesday, I made a trip to the forest to collect my thoughts. That really helped me out. It was a nice reminder that we are all part of a greater whole, and that life really is a lot simpler than we make it out to be, and a wonderful thing despite all its difficulties (or maybe even because of them?).

... and my Ladbrokes account still isn't up. :f_smile: What can I say? My work attitude is pretty "Caribbean", to put it nicely. I do plan to set it up on this very day, though.

I didn't quite reach my off-the-felt goal of going out for a jog at least three times a week, but I did get a decent amount of exercise, so I guess its a partial success...

Let's set some new goals for February now:
      :spade: FINALLY beat NL10.
      (BONUS: Reach and maintain a bankroll of at least $500)
      (EXTRA BONUS: Get to NL25 *gasp* :s_o: :f_o: )
      :club: Read one strategy article per day.
      :club: Actually read The Mental Game of Poker. No guidelines on how much to read, just get back to reading it every now and then.

Off-the-felt:
      :heart: Skip rugby practice less than 3 times (that includes absence due to work).
      :heart: Develop a better sleeping schedule.

I wish all of you guys the best of luck for the upcoming month! Maybe I'll see some of you at the tables. :f_wink: