Defending your blind against late position opens

• Michael2345
      Michael2345
      Basic
      Hey guys, how do you construct a range for defending your blind based on how often the players in late position are opening? If any players or coaches have any insight on how to adjust from ranges to defend with vs unknown players in contrast to ranges vs lag regs I think it would really help my game. Thanks.
  • 3 replies
    • Michael2345
      Michael2345
      Basic
      I'm talking in most part for the middle stages of a sit n go. According to the articles and the videos I've watched on this site you should be looking to pick a good spot to resteal all in with a stack below 20bbs. When should you deviate from this strategy and just defend by calling and what should your range look like for these two different options? Thanks again guys looking forward to the help.
    • pauln
      pauln
      Bronze
      Around the 20bb mark you can use the magic range against steals.

This is 77/88+ AQo+. This is a fairly static range and doesn't change much with different villain stats.

Against a villain stealing wide you would reshove with 77 AJs+ and against a nitty villain you would reshove 88+ AQs+ AKo+

I'd advise getting SNG wiz and getting to know it well (or an alternative like ICMizer or holdem resources calculator). SNG wiz comes with a trial (i think 14 days) so it's work trying. Play around with these situations and see how the optimal ranges change.

As for when you want to just call a steal, I'm not so sure. If we assume you have a 20bb stack and you are in the big blind, calling a 2.5x steal is going to create a 5.5bb pot (disregarding antes) and now a 17.5bb stack.. that gives you quite little room to maneuver (see SPR) and you'll be out of position. Therefore (and this is maybe wrong advice) I would only call with hands you're very comfortable playing OOP with little maneuverability.

Hope this is helpful.
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Hi, Michael2345!

Maybe you can check this tread-scroll down to the last 2 of my post and you can see some helpful imo info about your questions. There's a link: [INVALID EMAIL]