SSS - Playing AK-KQ

• Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      There is a situation here in basic SSS where I am dubious I am making the right choice every time.

The situation is: You raise normally with AK/AQ/AJ/KQ, and get called (headsup). The flop comes whatever but doesn't hit you (no draw no nothing). Now, the norm here is to C-bet - but almost always the C-bet is bigger than half my stack, so the norm here is to push.

The problem is I feel that most often I get called with any pair and lose my stack. Should I stop (or more rarely) C-betting these hands or should I perhaps C-bet half the pot or so so I don't have to push?

In Pokertracker I can see that all my starting hands are still going ++ but it really feels like I lose the most in these situations. I just need an answer to feel sure about this play, if it's correct then please just say so :)

Thanks
  • 3 replies
    • teslasecretweapon
      teslasecretweapon
      Bronze
      As a SSS preflop bettor you should c-bet first in 100% of the time, pushing , but if you raise and get called and then a on the flop opponent donkbeted you should reconsider your move, but still push every AK and many other listed hans, depending on situation.
      Actually, there isnt unified answer to this question- post your hands in sample hands forum and you will learn the most on your actuall hands.
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      I have done that and sometimes it seems people tell me to check, but I suppose what I'm doing is right then :)
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      You will notice that your c-bets get called much more loosely at the lower limits. While you do get busted by ugly pairs and flush draws, you also get more action from weaker aces, broadway kings, and ugly draws where you tend to dominate. So I suppose it will balance out in the end... and dont forget, you improve your broadways every 3rd push to the river.
      As you move up the limits you will notice the donk'd Ax and small pockets tend to fold to your c-bet.