la55i

• la55i
      la55i
      Hello,

My name is Lassi. I'm 19 years old and I'm from Finland. I have been playing play money poker since I was 15. When I turned 18 I started to play with my own money. It didn't go well. I lost my first bankroll (10e). After that I started reading articles, watching videos and improving my game. I recently moved to NL10. After about 4k hands at NL10 I'm down about one buy-in (win ratio -2.2/100). I'm playing ZOOM/Rush poker cause I find it easier than playing 4 tables at the same time. I'm not a complete beginner but I hope that this course can still help me improve my game.

And now to my homework:

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I want to be good at poker. I also want to make some extra money.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

There might be some leaks in my game that I'm not aware of but I think most problems in my game are mental. I don't tilt very often but sometimes bad runs and big loses affect my game. When I'm losing much I play more hands and I'm calling too much.

Some times I play too aggressively against wrong players.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

We play only good hands that are not so easily dominated and we play them aggressively. In the long run we are making more money this way. I still like a bit more LAGish style. :)
  • 10 replies
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Hey la55i

Never a bad idea to sign up for the beginner's course. There is a nice structured path that i found very helpful and tons of others have too. I hope you enjoy it and our course coach (Bogdan), will be by in the coming days to check your homework.

Regards,
      Luke
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello Lassi,

Welcome to the course.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

Good job with the first homework.

With the help of this course (and myself) and your hard work we should be able to overcome a lot of your weakness.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Bogdan
    • la55i
      la55i
      Lesson 2 homework:

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

I steal with a wider range. I'm usually raising hands like KJo and QTo from MP but I guess it is ok since I play 6max. I'm also calling with those hands from the LP if I face an open raise. I just realized that it might be a leak cause many players at NL10 Rush are pretty tight. I have now adjusted my game a bit. I don't call those hands so much any more and I think of my position more.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

My hand for evaluation: NL10 QJo

Should I stop calling hands like this preflop completely or is it fine to call these against some opponents? What do you think of my postflop play? I think this hand was not so good and I made some mistakse.

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

win 37,92%
      tie 8.41%
    • la55i
      la55i
      Lesson 3 homework:

Question 1: You are holding K :spade: Q :spade: . What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3 :diamond: 3 :club: ? How does the equity change on this flop: J :spade: 5 :diamond: 3 :spade: ?

Our equity preflop is 50.78%. On flop it is 26.46%.

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with A :club: J :club:

5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 2 :club: 6 :diamond: 3 :diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.25) 5 :club: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

We have gut shot+flush draw = 12 outs. Call odds about 4.1 to 1, hit odds about 2.8 to 1. We can call. Villain might already have the same straight. If we count only FD outs we can still call but it is about 50/50.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

When I have good hand (for example TPTK) I'm usually 3barreling against unknown opponents. I have lost some money in situations when opponent has slowplayed set/two pair. Should I change my line somehow. Should I maybe check/call or check/fold river instead of betting?

Example hand: Nl5 AA
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello Lassi

Good job on the last two homeworks.

Re: QJ hand

I would recommend that you do not call such big raises with weaker broadways like this unless the opponents are very loose.

And as played, since UTG is shorter your implied odds are worse so you can evne fold the turn (despite having a non nut flush redraw).

Re: good hands

You said you've lost some money. The thing is you cannot and will not win every single pot. So valuebetting is the best thing you can do (and on average you will win more than you lose).

In the AA hand it looks like you are underbetting the river heavily so your bet can even considered like a check. I'd bet bigger there.
    • la55i
      la55i
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop.

My hand: Nl5 Jj

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

My evaluation: nl5FR 77 BB

Question 3: You are on the flop with K :spade: Q :diamond: . The board cards are J :spade: , 9 :club: , 8 :heart: , and your opponent holds 7 :club: 7 :heart: . What is your equity in this spot?

41.41%
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hey Lassi,

Keep up the good work.

If you have any questions feel free to leave them here.

Bogdan
    • la55i
      la55i
      Lesson 5 homework:

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have based your decisions on the stats of your opponents.

Nl10 77

NL2 pocket 8s hit on flop

Question 3: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (7-handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($8)
      MP2 ($9)
      CO ($10)
      Hero($10)
      SB ($10) (17/13/2.6/24/1212) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      BB ($10) (27/9/2.0/29/333) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]

Preflop: Hero is BU with 6Diamond , 7Diamond
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.20) 3Diamond , 3Heart , TDiamond (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.20) JDiamond (3 players)
      SB bets $1.00, BB calls $1.00, Hero...

What action would you take, and why?

I would raise here but fold to a re-raise. Our opponents call preflop whit a wide range. On the turn they might have something like straight draw, tptk, overpair or a flush draw. We don't want to see fourth diamond on the river. Fold to a re-raise cause then our opponents have most likely higher flush or a full house.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hey Lassi,

Re: 77

I think you played that hand fine and I would call preflop and bet flop about 50%.

Keep it up,

Bogdan
    • la55i
      la55i
      Lesson 6:

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have either a) freeplay, b) slowplay, or c) multi-way pot situation.

nl10 KQo

NL2 - QQ - Drawy board and As

Question 3: Consider the following situation:
      $25 NL Hold'em (10 handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($25)
      UTG+1 ($25) rock
      UTG+2 ($25)
      MP1 ($25)
      MP2 ($25) LAG
      MP3 ($25) maniac
      CO ($25)
      Hero BU ($25)
      SB ($25)
      BB ($25) calling station

Preflop: Hero is BU with QHeart , JHeart
      5 folds, MP3 raises $1.00, CO calls $1.00, Hero calls $1.00, 1 fold, BB calls $1.00

Flop: ($4.10) 3Heart , JClub , ADiamond (4 players)
      BB checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($4.10) QClub (4 players)
      BB bets $2.05, 2 folds, Hero...?

What action would you take, and why?

I think I would call turn and call river if villain doesn't bet much. There is a good chance he has worse hand than 2pair so I wouldn't fold my hand to one 1/2pot bet.