Slow Performance

• pockettones
      pockettones
      Bronze
      Hey guys, my holdem manager takes ages to load and is just slow in general, switching between tabs etc and it always goes non responsive, and many times this is in game where I accidently click on player stats and the pop up comes up, or rather pokerstars freezes and it comes up.

I have a 2.4ghz amd quad core laptop and 4gb of ram with 64 bit windows 7.
      I read that having a fast hdd is essential so I think this might be the problem. From task manager right now Im using up 2.8gb ram and around 20%-40% cpu with pokerstars, hm2 and google chrome open.

Does anyone else have performance issues and is there anything I can do about it?
  • 7 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi pockettones,
      How many tables do you have open at once?

I am playing on an 8-yr old XP box w/ a 2GHz Athlon and 2GB RAM, and I can run HM2 w/ 4 tables running.

I usually have a bunch of other crap running too, and I don't have severe performance issues.

How many hands in your database?

Hare are a few links to HM2's FAQ on performance:
      http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/1142/Holdem+Manager+2+Performance+%26+Speed+Modifications

Well, it turns out there is only one link, but it takes you to a selection of articles.

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • tightfish19
      tightfish19
      Bronze
      Hey Vorpal,

Are you serious ? I trialled HM2 on my 2007 vintage XP machine with similar memory and it was hopeless. ( on only two tables)
      Consequently tried Pokertracker and have been using it ever since with no problems.
    • netsrak
      netsrak
      Gold
      Performance depends on many factors.

Like Vorpal already asked:
      - How large is your database

Other questions:
      - How many hero hands do you have in your database
      - Are you using mined hands?
      - Firewall, Antivirus software, other tools like registry protection, adware protection ... in use?
      - Are you using notecaddy? Additional Notecaddy definition packages?

- Is it slow from the beginning or becoming slower during a long session?

- Is it the same when you try a session with a new empty database?
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by tightfish19
      Hey Vorpal,

Are you serious ? I trialled HM2 on my 2007 vintage XP machine with similar memory and it was hopeless. ( on only two tables)
      Consequently tried Pokertracker and have been using it ever since with no problems.
      Yes, I'm serious.
      I did do some things -- like my postgresql databases are on a separate drive that is used for just that, plus some static storage -- that made a huge difference.

I added a bunch of exceptions to my AV software, so it doesn't check various folders -- hand history folders, HM2 archives, postgres data folders etc.

I close browsers -- esp chrome -- while playing.

I play only 4 tables.

I have even played 3 tables while running a teamviewer session with two people watching. 4 was just too much with teamviewer running -- it worked, but was too laggy.

cheers,
      --VS
    • pockettones
      pockettones
      Bronze
      I play 9 tables, do not have antivirus running. On my results graph I have 150k hands, not sure if this is no. hands in database. I checked database it said 660mb didnt get any more info. I do not use mined hands. Im quite frustrated it often takes a minute or more just to switch between tabs, load graphs, open had replayer etc and just freeze up and be non responsive for even 3-5 minutes or so. When pc first boots up I think it runs a little faster.
    • netsrak
      netsrak
      Gold
      Can you switch to a player with a small amount of hands in your database and see how HM2 behaves now?

Also please create a new database, import only some hands from your archive folder c:\hm2archive and run some tests with this database.
    • pockettones
      pockettones
      Bronze
      switched to one of my other names on a different site with 500 something hands, no difference. Will create a new database later.