Suckout Day

• CityTrader
      CityTrader
      Bronze
      Yesterday I had a complete mare...I played 7 tournaments and in every single one of them bar one I played my normal style and made very few mistakes only to be knocked out by suckouts....IN EVERY ONE OF THEM!!! This is no over exaggeration. A couple of examples. I have one caller preflop with my 4x BB raise, Im holding AKs. Other player has 10-10...the flop hits A K 5, Im all in and other player calls, turn hits 10, river hits 10. He was the larger stack so Im busted. This happened when there were just over 100 out of around 800 players left with payouts from 80th or better.
      I played in the $35000 GTD R/A...1st hour was superb. I made no rebuys and no add-on in the break and was sitting cosily with $12,000...Within 2 hands of the 2nd hour I was switched tables (always annoying when you have several reads on other players!!) and within 30 minutes and a couple of suckouts I was out...The last example I was playing another rebuy and again I had made no rebuys and add-ons, only 7 players left to drop out then I would have hit the money, and at this stage I was hanging on grimly with just over $8000 in chips, the blinds were 1k-2k I hit AA and thought halleuyah!! I was small blind...everyone folded before me so I decided to raise the pot to 4k (half my stack, in order to make BB think I was trying to steal) BB takes me all-in with his K7o...Flop was K 10 3 the turn hit a 5 and then hey presto the river hits a K...lol!! Sorry just had to get this day off my chest! Today has started on a much brighter note having played 2 30 seater SNG's finishing 1st place in one and unplaced in the other. I have decided that I will gun for the $35000k GTD tonight but other than that I will stick to the SNG's for the day :-)

Just thought I'd share my bad fortune with you guys just in case anyone is thinking that this sort of bad luck only happens to them!!

Happy pokering!
  • 8 replies
    • RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      I feel ya m8. :D I mostly play freerolls, cause i wanna learn how to play MTT without a risk, before i try ones with buy in. I can't count how many times i busted out right before the money with premium hands like AA, KK, QQ, AKs.
      Right now it's mistery to me how can someone learn playing MTTs. I guess its mostly luck dependant. Of course i don't say you can't learn to play em good, but it's still a mistery for me.
      I can play cash games fine and single tables SNGs, but MTT and multi table SNGs i can't.
      If you want share a bit of your special strategy for playing MTT. I am really curious. :P
    • Grimzor
      Grimzor
      Bronze
      First, playing rebuy tourneys and not taking add-on is wrong in 98% of cases.

Then about tourneys - thats the way they are. Many good players bust with best hand. Imagine this - you get AA 5 times in a row, and get it all in preflop all 5 times and every time against opponent that covers you. AA is like 80% favourite against vast majority of hands. So math says you should loose 1 of those 5 hands. If there is no variance - thats it - you are busto.

Accept that tourneys are high variance game or dont play them. Also remember - you only need like 1 final table to cover a looot of buyins. All you can do is play your best game and wait for that time when stars align and you get no suckouts or at least not the one that make you go bust.
    • RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Grimzor

Then about tourneys - thats the way they are. Many good players bust with best hand. Imagine this - you get AA 5 times in a row, and get it all in preflop all 5 times and every time against opponent that covers you. AA is like 80% favourite against vast majority of hands. So math says you should loose 1 of those 5 hands. If there is no variance - thats it - you are busto.

Accept that tourneys are high variance game or dont play them. Also remember - you only need like 1 final table to cover a looot of buyins. All you can do is play your best game and wait for that time when stars align and you get no suckouts or at least not the one that make you go bust.
      QFT
    • CityTrader
      CityTrader
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by Grimzor
      quote]

I would love to know where you get your stats from as I think your figures are wrong!

Happy pokering :-)
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by CityTrader
      quote]

I would love to know where you get your stats from as I think your figures are wrong!

His stats are correct since you want to have a high chip count for double ups and bullying lower stacks. Taking the 2k chips is always the correct choice.
    • MikeyH
      MikeyH
      Bronze
      I only had the one suckout today, but a crazy one...

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $3.80
      Hero:
      $2.00
      UTG:
      $2.65
      UTG+2:
      $4.40
      MP1:
      $11.15
      MP2:
      $1.80
      MP3:
      $9.85
      CO:
      $1.70
      BU:
      $5.90

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.60 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:spade: , A:club:
      4 folds, CO raises to $1.70 (All-In), 2 folds, Hero calls $1.60.

Flop: ($3.45) 5:spade: , 6:heart: , A:heart:
      Turn: ($3.45) 4:spade:
      River: ($3.45) 3:club:

Final Pot: $3.45

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows three of a kind, aces (As Ac)
      CO shows a straight, seven high (Qc 7c)

CO wins with a straight, seven high (Qc 7c)
    • ethanrox
      ethanrox
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MikeyH
      I only had the one suckout today, but a crazy one...

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $3.80
      Hero:
      $2.00
      UTG:
      $2.65
      UTG+2:
      $4.40
      MP1:
      $11.15
      MP2:
      $1.80
      MP3:
      $9.85
      CO:
      $1.70
      BU:
      $5.90

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.60 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:spade: , A:club:
      4 folds, CO raises to $1.70 (All-In), 2 folds, Hero calls $1.60.

Flop: ($3.45) 5:spade: , 6:heart: , A:heart:
      Turn: ($3.45) 4:spade:
      River: ($3.45) 3:club:

Final Pot: $3.45

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows three of a kind, aces (As Ac)
      CO shows a straight, seven high (Qc 7c)

CO wins with a straight, seven high (Qc 7c)
      lol..what a play from him.
    • CityTrader
      CityTrader
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by Dragar
      Originally posted by CityTrader
      quote]

His stats are correct since you want to have a high chip count for double ups and bullying lower stacks. Taking the 2k chips is always the correct choice.
      Even after the first hour when you hold in the excess of 10k?? Sorry but I must be missing the point somewhere. I can understand if you are holding lower than 10k but not if it is more as you are in a good position to bully the short stacks if need be or just hold tight for a big hand to double up. If Im above average stack a the add-on point I most definately will not purchase the add-on. Each to their own I guess?