heads up under 20 bbs

• Michael2345
      Michael2345
      Basic
      Hey I'm looking for help on my heads up game with under 20 bbs. I know you're not supposed to be flat calling although sometimes you could trap by just calling with monster hands against agro opponents who are likely to cbet. However, say an opponent isn't opening very wide and you have a hand like 109h is it still ok to just call in this spot? Even a hand like KJc could be behind some tight heads up player's open range I'm just wondering how I'm supposed to be playing these hands.

Also, when in blind vs blind battles and defending your big blind vs the button...how should you be playing suited connectors or broadway hands like I mentioned above.

Thanks in advance for the help.
  • 2 replies
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Hi Michael2345!

A few things I want to add-not flatting for under 20bb is a mistake imo. You can certainly flat, but you need to choose your spots.

Let's say the first question-if we are HU with 20bb effective. T9o is a must flat vs almost anyone on a minraise. You can go much wider than that depending on villain's tendencies. Say he opens 75-80%, but only calls on a shove with about 22-25%(any pair, Ax, broadway) and is aggro postflop. Then I will prefer to 3bet ship hands like low suited Kx, 78o, 97o, low suited Qx, J3s-J5s as these onces don't play well postflop, but will be plus EV on a shove. Hands like J9s, 89s, Q8s, T9s are almost always a flat though as their playability postflop is great and when you hit, very often you are gonna hit better than your opponent. Hands like KQo, KJs, QJs I usually prefer to 3bet non all in with 20bb effective and either bet/call many flops or call a 4bet if opponent shoves(as we are getting the odds). And so on, it's a huge topic to give you all the information in one post. I suggest searching for videos, play a bit with ICMizer, poker equilab to get a better hold on it.

For when we are blind vs blind, or blind vs button, it depends on ICM tax and opponent/stack sizes. If villain is a loose aggro fish to open wide and call wide for 20bb, then we can't profitably re-shove 78s as he will call off with any Ax and life sucks. Therefore I flat as hand has a good expected value vs his range(I flat on a min raise or so, not on a 3-4x).

If he opens loose and calls tight, then we can definitely re-shove with those suited connectors and win the pot pre.
    • Michael2345
      Michael2345
      Basic
      Ok thanks for the advice. I thought with suited connectors it won't be profitable to call out of position against a tight open raising range? Although I guess you're saying it's ok against aggro type players who have a wide range and are likely to stack off if we hit big. Let me know if this is right.