Moving Up Micros

• pockettones
      pockettones
      Bronze
      Hey there, I've played 130k hands of NL 5 at pokerstars, I feel like am a winning player and definately play a lot better than when I first moved up with 20BI but Ive had quite a few swings going from around 40 BI to 30BI and it is quite fustrating and just really wanna move up. DOes this seem like an abnormally long time to stay at NL 5? Can anyone let me know how long it took them to moves up in stakes? I know 40BI is very conservative for micros I intend to move up to 25NL once I hit $750 and do a 5 BI shot and will prolly stick to 40BI with 50nl and 100nl (if I get there xD ).
  • 10 replies
    • JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      It depends a lot on the swings, if you have a big upswing you might move up after 40-50,000 hands, while you might struggle for 100,000+ hands because of downswing.

I would say that if you have been struggling for that long it's probably not just swings, you should probably look into some ways to improve your game since it's wont be easier at NL10.

It's up to every single person to decide what BRM one is going to use, but generally you want to move through micros ASAP.
    • pockettones
      pockettones
      Bronze
      I always try to improve my game whether Im winning or not but downswings have really motivated me into studying hard :p Tindler's mental game of poker also really helped me get through tough times as by focusing on the best decisions I can be happy with my play regardless of my result. Thanks for your input :D I sort of thought only pros playing tough games could have 100k+ hand downswings because their bb rate is lower cuz of their decreased relative edge, but I guess maybe Im just a slight winner xD
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Moved to our No Limit board :)
    • ChoChikun
      ChoChikun
      Bronze
      You are using poker tracker?
    • pockettones
      pockettones
      Bronze
      holdem manager 2
    • MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pockettones
      Hey there, I've played 130k hands of NL 5 at pokerstars, I feel like am a winning player and definately play a lot better than when I first moved up with 20BI but Ive had quite a few swings going from around 40 BI to 30BI and it is quite fustrating and just really wanna move up. DOes this seem like an abnormally long time to stay at NL 5? Can anyone let me know how long it took them to moves up in stakes? I know 40BI is very conservative for micros I intend to move up to 25NL once I hit $750 and do a 5 BI shot and will prolly stick to 40BI with 50nl and 100nl (if I get there xD ).
      Hi pockettones,

I think the time you spend at any limit is dependant on the individual and what they hope to learn and what their goals are. That said, I assume NL5 isn't your end goal but as long as you have improved over those 130k hands then you have booked a W.

Moving forward - There is a lot of value to be had at NL5 due to a very soft field and I would imagine there is room for improvement (you're not alone there buddy) and so perhaps you are not yet exploiting your opponents as effectively as you could. I think you should be looking to hit 10bb+/100.

I have just recently moved out of NL5 (bit of a BR nit so played 70k+ hands) and am happy to skype if you want to go into more depth about the limit.

All the best,
      MD
    • pockettones
      pockettones
      Bronze
      playing NL10 now, don't really feel its any more difficult and feel confident I can beat it :p I know I had quite a few leaks and make many mistakes at the beggining of NL5, have improved heaps over those many hands and I also think I was running quite bad toward the end. DIff between NL2 and NL5 was pretty big, NL5 and NL10 feel the same to me.

Seerup would you say the 50k-100k rule is applicable for moving up say from 25NL to 50NL, and 50NL to 100NL? What about for higher limits?
    • pockettones
      pockettones
      Bronze
      playing NL10 now, don't really feel its any more difficult and feel confident I can beat it :p I know I had quite a few leaks and make many mistakes at the beggining of NL5, have improved heaps over those many hands and I also think I was running quite bad toward the end. DIff between NL2 and NL5 was pretty big, NL5 and NL10 feel the same to me.

Seerup would you say the 50k-100k rule is applicable for moving up say from 25NL to 50NL, and 50NL to 100NL? What about for higher limits?
    • MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pockettones
      Good stuff, hope NL10 is going well.
      How did you get on at NL5 in the end?

MD
    • pockettones
      pockettones
      Bronze
      At 5NL I did 140k hands averaging 1.8bb/100 so really not great results lol. Atm feels like Im breaking even, felt awkward in the beginning wasn't playing optimally, recall losing 2BI to tilt and have been really swingy. Im just glad I'm still playing these stakes. So far 40k hands and 1.4bb/100, ev at 2bb/100. I think I need to get more thin value, optimize my bet sizing and fold a bit more to avoid tricky spots. 3-betting lighter against loose players I think is something I can also incorporate into my game, right now my 3bet is at 3.4%.