Is it a downswing?

• cookyik
      cookyik
      Bronze
      I've been playing NL10 6max on Carbon Poker for couple of months now,
      I was a losing player since I started this, but recently I have managed to overcome my loss and start making profit. I was all happy and feeling confident and what not.

But a week later, I am losing every showdown, having at least -90bb/100 hand every time I play. I am stunned, and literally felt sick when I lost two/three big pots during a short session.

I dont think I went on a crazy tilt, but surely I am playing my C-game. I became a non-believer, paying off my opponent when I am pretty sure I am beat. I am kind of frustrated now, not because the money I lose, but because I felt like my effort for the past few months is somehow wasted.....

I wonder, is a sudden lost like this normal in poker? For sure I have made some costly mistake, but sudden drop like this??? I dont know what happened..!

Here is my cash result graph
      http://postimg.org/image/5vucjkzib/
  • 8 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, cookyik...

I know it isn't going to help, but I'll say it anyway:

Yes, it is a downswing, and yes it happens to every poker player.

However, BECAUSE of the downswing, you may be adding mental game problems to your already damaged confidence.

You may also be "trying too hard" to "win the money back".

My suggestion:
        Take a study break. Read some strategy articles, "the Mental Game of Poker" Watch some videos etc.
        Post some especially tricky hands in the hand evaluation forums.
        Re-evaluate your bankroll and your limit -- are you having scared money problems?

After your break, come back and take it one hand at a time.

And your graph doesn't look particularly bad, the drop at the end could be a sign of a problem, though -- did you change anything in your game?

Cheers,
      --VS
    • badgerer
      badgerer
      Silver
      vorpals advice is spot on imo. we've all been where you are many times.

i just want to stress that the absolute most important thing is you dont make it worse by tilting which it does sound like you have been doing. i know its hard but if you can keep your cool during a downswing then your bankroll will thank you when its over.

good luck.
    • limpblz1988
      limpblz1988
      Bronze
      Don't you think sample size is a little small to make sense of anything? Highly recommend above comments in having your hands reviewed and watching videos!

Cheers mate.
    • Itsnevereasy
      Itsnevereasy
      Bronze
      Yes, it a downswing and its not at all surprising given that you were losing/breakeven before and now even you say you are playing your C-game.

My advice is to improve your game, reduce number of tables, take notes on opponents during the game and in general pay more attention during playing.
    • cookyik
      cookyik
      Bronze
      Thanks everyone for replying :)

I have been reading the psychology section of strategy articles and I do feel better after knowing the mental side of poker. I think VorpalF2f is right, I did tried a little too hard to make up my loss.
      I don't think I have changed something significantly during my game, however, I tried to play more during a day more than last two months. (Before 13K hands: ~1.5hr a day in one session; After 13K hands: ~4hr a day in several sessions)

Right now I am taking a study break, and I will return to poker table when I feel refreshed!
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Silver
      ^ you made a good choice
    • huwenbang
      huwenbang
      Bronze
      good luck.
      I think you have to break,forget the poker.
    • abhi147
      abhi147
      Bronze
      breaks never help in a downswing as such unless your mental game is affected
      Then a break is nescessary

More often than not downswings tend to spoil our game

Personally i think downswings are the biggest learning curves in poker
      Everytime i hit a downswing it made me think " Have i lost it in me to win ?"
      This made me go back to basics and study/restudy everything and i was surprised how some leaks appeared from nowhere in my game which i wouldve never known had the DS not happened

A BE/Losing player has bigger swings than a winning player, I would suggest move down, study,study,study,study.