Hanafuda

• Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      I was wondering if anyone else around here has ever heard about, or even played, hanafuda cards. They are those traditional Japanese playing cards with flowers depicted on them.

I actually own a (cheap) deck, and I think those cards are very nice to look at, and also quite fun to play, though I only know the rules for the two player variant known as Koi-koi.

If you're not familiar, you can take a look at all 48 cards in a deck at http://www.hanafuda.com/cards (scroll down to get to the list of cards).

Also, I'd like to ask - inspired by yesterday's question in pleno1's thread in the General Poker Discussion forum - which card do you think looks the prettiest?
      My favorite is probably the deer, partially because they are my favorite animal. Runners-up include the wild boar and the crane.
  • 5 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, Harrier88,

This is the first I've ever heard of them.

Definitely qualify as "pretty" though!

"prettiest"? Tough call.

I'll go with the plain cherry blossom (the first one).

The flowering Japanese cherry blossoms bloom early in Vancouver, and have great memories for me.

Thanks for pointing these out!
      --VS
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Bronze
      I like August edition. Like that minimalistic approach :)
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F

The flowering Japanese cherry blossoms bloom early in Vancouver, and have great memories for me.
      I absolutely love cherry blossoms, even though I don't like actual cherries at all.
      I'd love to visit Japan in the spring season one time. What I've seen about it so far looks quite amazing.

Originally posted by FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      I like August edition. Like that minimalistic approach :)
      The one with the moon is probably my 4th favorite. I like the red background and the way the colors work with each other.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Harrier88

I absolutely love cherry blossoms, even though I don't like actual cherries at all.
      I'd love to visit Japan in the spring season one time. What I've seen about it so far looks quite amazing.
      I drove a taxi in the late '70s in Vancouver.
      One spring I picked up a Japanese lumber buyer at the airport, and the street we took from the airport downtown was lined with ornamental Japanese cherry trees.

I heard a strange sound from the back, and turned around to see tears running down his cheeks. I pulled over to the side of the road to see what the matter was. It was just that he had not been home to see his wife and family in so long and just missed them terribly.

I turned the meter off and just let him sit there an look at them.

Peace,
      --VS
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Harrier88

I drove a taxi in the late '70s in Vancouver.
      One spring I picked up a Japanese lumber buyer at the airport, and the street we took from the airport downtown was lined with ornamental Japanese cherry trees.

I heard a strange sound from the back, and turned around to see tears running down his cheeks. I pulled over to the side of the road to see what the matter was. It was just that he had not been home to see his wife and family in so long and just missed them terribly.

I turned the meter off and just let him sit there an look at them.

Peace,
      --VS
      Nice experience, yeah Japanese people and culture and lifestyle is awesome.