arnsaa1

• arnsaa1
      arnsaa1
      Bronze
      Hello,

My name is Arnas. I'm 18 years old and I'm from Lithuania. I started playing poker when I was like 14 or 15, but it was just for fun. I played at some online rooms or live poker with my friends, but I wasn't too serious about it. When I turned 18, I thought I should get more serious about poker. I mean... why not? I love this game, so why not to start making some money, instead of losing them all and not understanding why I lost?

[X] Lesson 1
      [X] Lesson 2
      [X] Lesson 3
      [X] Lesson 4
      [X] Lesson 5
      [ ] Lesson 6
      [ ] Lesson 7
      [ ] Lesson 8

[ ] Final Exam
  • 12 replies
    • arnsaa1
      arnsaa1
      Bronze
      Lesson One

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I love this game and I want to understand it more. Plus, knowing how to play it can make you some extra cash.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I find it hard guessing my opponent's range. Also, I'm pretty bad when it comes to a post-flop game. Besides that, I find it hard to adapt to my opponent's play style, like I don't notice how they play pre-flop and post-flop etc.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Playing only good hands aggressively. It works because people notice us playing good hands and that we play it aggressively, so they don't take a big risk and give us their money more easily, plus, if you hit something on the flop, it's probably the monster hand and you should beat other players most of the time...
    • arnsaa1
      arnsaa1
      Bronze
      -
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello Arnas,

Welcome to the course.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

Good job with the first homework. It is very detailed and shows that you care and put in a good effort.

With the help of this course (and myself) and your hard work we should be able to overcome a lot of your weakness.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Bogdan
    • arnsaa1
      arnsaa1
      Bronze
      Lesson Two

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

Yes. I think I could 3bet my opponents with middle pairs from late position who for example min-raised from MP. I shouldn't play offsuited face cards too aggressively (which I do tho), because most of the time they're not as good as they look like. Trying to steal blinds or raising limpers with suited connectors would also be a good idea. Also, I think I should play suited face cards more aggresively, especially in a late position and I shouldn't fold (most of the time) those kind of cards if there was one raise before me.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

Yes, you can find my thread right here.

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

AKo has a 46.32% equity against top 5% range (88+,AJs+,KQs,AKo).
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Good job with lesson #2.

All those adjustment sound good to try at first and see how they work out.

Re: J8

As played postflop looks good however I think that preflop you can just fold because of his very small stack.

If he had more money raising there would be fine.
    • arnsaa1
      arnsaa1
      Bronze
      Lesson Three

Question 0: Download and install the Equilab.

Done.

Question 1: You are holding K:spade: Q:spade: . What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3:diamond: 3:club: ? How does the equity change on this flop: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade: ?

My preflop equity is 50.78%, but on the flop my equity changes to 26.46%.

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)

Players and stacks:

UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:club: J:club:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 2:club: 6:diamond: 3:diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.25) 5:club: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

Well, the BTN range can be pretty wide, so I'd also include 67, 78 in his range. In that case if 4 hits the river, he might have a higher straight, but if it's 4:club: , he has a straight and we have nut flush. Since this board is very drawy and BTN range is pretty wide, I wouldn't include A or J as our outs (because top pair might not be enough to beat him). So our equity is ~19% and our pot odds are around 19.6%. I'd consider that either calling or folding has the same value, so we can just call and see what happens on the turn.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

Yes, you can find my thread right here.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi arnsaa1

Good job with this homework.

Re: 44

Given he had just 50 Bb I don't think we can fold our set without information. However his line looks very strong given he bets small and 3-bets and then ck/raises the turn.

Vs a bigger stack the turn is a fold for sure.
    • arnsaa1
      arnsaa1
      Bronze
      Hey BogdanPS,

For lesson four, this video isn't available anymore. Any suggestions what should I do? Maybe you know some similar videos/articles that'd help me to learn the material that was discussed in this video?
    • arnsaa1
      arnsaa1
      Bronze
      Lesson Four

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop.

There you go: NL2 A8o from BB, two pair.

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

I actually really enjoyed evaluating hands and I did 4 evaluations. I'd love to hear what do you think of those, are they any good or bad? What needs to be improved in my evaluations? Maybe I'm wrong somewhere? It'd be great if you could comment at least one of my evaluations.

Evaluation 1;
      Evaluation 2;
      Evaluation 3;
      Evaluation 4;

Question 3: You are on the flop with K:spade: Q:diamond: . The board cards are J:spade: , 9:club: , 8:heart: , and your opponent holds 7:club: 7:heart: . What is your equity in this spot?

Our equity in this spot is 41.41%.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi arnsaa1

Unfortunately I have been told that video 4 is no longer available.

Here are some similar videos: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/#searchtext=opponent&key=all&contenttype=0&gametype=0&tablesize=0&languages=en&levels=basic,bronze,silver,gold,platinum,diamond&lowerlimit=0&upperlimit=100&ob=date&od=desc&page=1&rpp=10

I think your evaluations have been good so far.

As far as your hand A8o I agree with you that you are to bet/fold the river there all day long. People generally do not bluff in those spots and they beat your 2p.
    • arnsaa1
      arnsaa1
      Bronze
      Lesson Five

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have based your decisions on the stats of your opponents.

Well, I almost never base my decisions on stats, because it's just NL2, but here's one hand against loose passive player: NL2 99 shove OTR.

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

I've just evaluated two hands:

Hand no.1;
      Hand no.2.

Question 3: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (7-handed)

Stacks & Stats:

UTG ($10)
      MP ($8)
      MP2 ($9)
      CO ($10)
      Hero($10)
      SB ($10) (17/13/2.6/24/1212) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      BB ($10) (27/9/2.0/29/333) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]

Preflop: Hero is BU with 6:diamond: , 7:diamond:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.20) 3:diamond: , 3:heart: , T:diamond: (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.20) J:diamond: (3 players)
      SB bets $1.00, BB calls $1.00, Hero...

What action would you take, and why?

I'd 2bet here like $4 just to protect my hand from another diamond. If someone 3bets, it's a def fold here, because someone might have a higher flush or even a full house, because the board is paired.

Question 4: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (8-handed)

Stacks & Stats

UTG ($8)
      MP ($10)
      MP2 ($9)
      MP3 ($6)
      Hero ($10)
      BU ($10) (25/21/3.8/26/1250) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J:heart: , J:spade:
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU 3-bets to $1.30, 2 folds, Hero calls $1.30

Flop: ($2.75) 6:heart: , 9:spade: , T:club: (2 players)
      Hero...

What action would you take, and why?

Well, the player is kinda loose, so his 3bet range might look something like this: 99+, AJs+, KJs+, AQ+, JTs+. On the board we have an overpair and our opponent might be on a straight draw (that's unlikely tho), but he also could have an overpair, or even a set. In that case check/raising or check/calling is probably the best option here.

P.S. Bogdan, please, tell me what do you think of my answers, I really want to hear your opinion, not just "great answers, good job with your homework" :) .
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi arnsaa1

Your answers are indeed fine (or were fine) for the other hands so no comments were needed.

Q3: Raise folding is definitely fine there and the bet size is fine as well ($4).

Q4: Definitely checking is the best option and based on his action we can decide how to proceed. But most likely we keep his range wide and check/call.